Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is no in-room coffee maker and charge for wifi a deal breaker for a hotel these days?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is no in-room coffee maker and charge for wifi a deal breaker for a hotel these days?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2017, 11:00 am

The reason your NYC hotel room doesn't have a coffee maker is it can't fit in the room
Old Aug 7, 2017, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by wendyg
No wifi a deal-breaker. I don't drink coffee anyway,
^ this.

I don't really care if there's a charge for the wifi if (A) I can expense it to work, or (B) the overall value of the hotel with the charge is a better value (or outright cheaper) than the next best opportunity with free wifi.

A mini-fridge without minibar stuff in the room is a huge plus when traveling on my own, and almost a necessity when traveling with kids given the amount of milk they swill.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JumboJet
The reason your NYC hotel room doesn't have a coffee maker is it can't fit in the room
why oh why would i ever do my own coffee, unless i was on a boat in the amsterdam canal, or in a suite in a castle is sicily???

the B&B coffee cheeses and hotels pastries hotel in athens, leon, venice, lisbon, & barcelone have been excellent.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 2:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by canyonleo
I have never stayed in room in Europe that didn't have a kettle, be it chain or smaller property - so in room coffee (bring your own beans) is very standard in Europe (western at least, IME).
IME this depends very much on the country. Kettles are standard in England (for tea of course) but not in France.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by slawecki
why oh why would i ever do my own coffee, unless i was on a boat in the amsterdam canal, or in a suite in a castle is sicily???

the B&B coffee cheeses and hotels pastries hotel in athens, leon, venice, lisbon, & barcelone have been excellent.
Because you might like fresh coffee? The coffee beans used in most any European shop/cafe (if not a coffee store) were likely roasted weeks, if not months earlier. Some have a (discriminating) taste for coffee.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I was looking up mega luxury NYC accommodation for fun and prices ranged from $20 to $40,000. The fine print said breakfast extra. The little extras annoy me. I want everything in the quoted price.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
Originally Posted by JumboJet
I view the coffee maker as a big plus. I tend to get up early and even earlier when travelling, like 4 or 430am. There is often no practical alternative to get coffee at that hour and waiting til breakfast means 2 plus hours wait. Meanwhile I'm then doing things without my coffee.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Not pretty, but I've done it: tap water as hot as it'll go to make tea (Palmer House Hilton in Chicago, and W Seattle).
Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Not pretty, but I've done it: tap water as hot as it'll go to make tea (Palmer House Hilton in Chicago, and W Seattle).
Haha, nearly any hotel will offer very hot (hotter than tap by the time it's delivered) from room service... some will provide it free (but one still should tip I suppose)... but that's a not pretty alternative to having a maker/kettle.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 11:46 am

i recall staying at hotel in beverly hills CA that had no in-room coffee. to get it, i had to order, and my hazy recollection (this was years ago) was that i had to wait until 5 or 6am even to order, and there was a 15-20 minute wait after that.

i get up at 4am. i don't like talking to anyone until after my first coffee. i bring my own coffee in case the hotel's is undrinkable, but having the means to prepare it in-room is essential.
canyonleo and KitchenChemProf like this.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by canyonleo
(but one still should tip I suppose)
For bringing something you should have been able to make yourself? Tipping culture is really out of hand in this country.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 3:28 pm

Aeropress

Originally Posted by Collierkr
Does anyone really bring their own coffee maker? Not in a hotel!
Not so much in Europe, more in US - but the worst part of travelling for me is not having good coffee in the morning.
Past few years I've been taking my aeropress (with a mesh not paper filter). All I need is boiling water (and I ask front desk for an electric kettle).

Last edited by KitchenChemProf; Aug 14, 2017 at 10:39 am Reason: Fixing img link
Old Aug 13, 2017, 8:51 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You can buy a small immersion coil to heat water. There are also some very small contractions to make filter coffee.

For me, even good room service coffee isn't really a substitute as one needs to be dressed to answer the door whenever the coffee arrives, which usually means plus/minus thirty minutes. So you can't take a showers while you wait, etc.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 6:30 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You can buy a small immersion coil to heat water. There are also some very small contractions to make filter coffee.

For me, even good room service coffee isn't really a substitute as one needs to be dressed to answer the door whenever the coffee arrives, which usually means plus/minus thirty minutes. So you can't take a showers while you wait, etc.
Don't most hotels provide bath robes?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by kb9522
Don't most hotels provide bath robes?
Some do, but probably not "most." A bathrobe isn't much help if room service arrives when you're in the shower.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.