Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Tall Flyers Beware: Short Business Class Beds

Old Jun 17, 17, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

As a 6'5" frequent flyer, I've taken notice that there is a major difference amongst airlines when it comes to the length of flat seats in the premium cabins. Even worse, often the information shown on popular seating websites is misleading.

Case in point: I just got off my first ever flight on Etihad in J. The overall seat length was barely sufficient for my height, but only at the very end of the ottoman. As the design was curved, the actual length available for my legs was actually far less than what was promoted. It was a very uncomfortable 11-hour flight despite being in a premium cabin on one of the world's best airlines.

Bottom line? No real sleep.

It would be wonderful if us very tall flyers could post observations about the conditions in F and J on different carriers. So far, I've noticed that F/J are generally excellent in terms of overall length and lack of obstruction on BA, AA, CX, and SQ. At the same time Japanese carriers seem to be among the worst for tall flyers - in particular JL.

Any observations my fellow lengthy travelers care to share?
Old Jun 17, 17, 6:03 pm

JL generally tailor to japanese clients (all aisle access, but need to squeeze to get to window

Sky Suite version I
approx 188cm (74 inches)
https://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/servi.../skysuite.html

SQ A350/777-300ER, they didn't specify dimensions for A380/older products
78" bed

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/u...usiness-class/

etihad F/J is about 80/73 inches on 777, more on A380
https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Et...ng_787_900.php
http://www.thenational.ae/business/t...-get-some-rest

As a result, the "business studio" on the A380 gives a sense of great personal space, with plenty of storage space and large TV screen. The seat width is 22 inches and the pitch is 80.5 inches, according to website seatplan.com, while Etihad’s A340 offers a width of 20 inches and a pitch of 88 inches by comparison. Etihad’s Boeing 777 offers 19 inches and 73 inches respectively. Emirates offers a seat width of 18.5 inches and seat pitch of up to 88 inches on its A380, depending on the configuration.

since your height is a handicap (only on airplanes), suggest you research the airplane product before booking (or maybe bulkhead has more space?)
Old Jun 20, 17, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
The only lieflat I've ever been truly comfortable in was on an LH 744 on the upper deck about 8 years ago. (It was F up there, not J.)

2nd place is probably the United 744 J seat, upstairs by the window, because my feet could go outside the pod onto the adjacent cabinet.

I find lots of J/F pods rather uncomfortable. I have a hard time sleeping curled up in a ball. At home, I sleep flat on my back.

I actually miss the big barcaloungers on the UA 777 in J (also 8-ish years ago). They weren't lieflat, but if you had seat 9H (IIRC), you had extra foot room since the seat in front of you was in F but with no solid bulkhead. I slept well in those seats...
Old Jun 22, 17, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Air Berlin have midget length flatbeds in their lousy biz. Wouldn't fly them again.
Old Jun 23, 17, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA EP/4MM, DL GM/1MM, HH ♦, Bonvoy LT PLT, Hyatt , AMEX Bus Plt
At 6'3" I found my experience on Virgin Atlantic upper class very uncomfortable for an overnight flight. My shoulders were wedged pretty tight while on on my back. If shorter I could have scooted down where the taper of the seats was not as pronounced.
Old Jun 24, 17, 9:57 am

Programs: SAS EBG, IHG Spire Amb, CCG
At 6'6" I have the same problem. Only lie flat product that felt like a bed was TG F in 747.

However, some seats have space beyond the seat, for example BA A380 56D/F. SK has some that is 6'5". If not on these seats sleeping in recline mode is the only option.
Old Jun 26, 17, 1:44 pm

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by texmanufan View Post
At 6'3" I found my experience on Virgin Atlantic upper class very uncomfortable for an overnight flight. My shoulders were wedged pretty tight while on on my back. If shorter I could have scooted down where the taper of the seats was not as pronounced.
These are terrible beds by modern standards anyway. I especially don't like that you can't go from sitting to lying without getting out of the seat completely.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: