Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Others not obsessed with "Packing Light?"

Others not obsessed with "Packing Light?"

Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Light packers will often extol the virtues of scrubbing and soaking their unmentionables in a hotel room sink simply to save a few grams on packing weight. Damp underpants are definitely a risk if they are not given sufficient time hung on the shower curtain rod or draped over a heat vent.
Yes indeed, this is true. Thats where the money came in when I was working on my packing light project. ExOfficio underwear dries very quickly. Ive been traveling light with it for almost 10 years and have never needed wear it damp. I'm sure there are other brands but this one worked for me, so done with that.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
84fiero, your examples are examples of things people have a reason to need to take for one reason or another. They have nothing whatsoever to do with trying to travel light. If you need to take stuff to a family member, you take it. The question is, what do you take that is for your use when travelling and do you or don't you try to take the lightest weight possible for those items.
No, they're not needs - they're voluntary choices. I don't have to load up on my favorite food item or souvenir, or take my daughter's junk to her, or donate items to charity, etc. And the example of people (and there are some who have chimed in on this thread) who simply don't care about weight doesn't represent a need, just their personal approach.

I don't view any of the above as right or wrong, nor is it right or wrong to obsess over keeping weight down - different strokes for different folks. And sometimes even different approaches from the same individual depending on the trip or circumstances. Such is life.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 9:39 am

Why do folks who have zero interest in packing light care so much about this issue? Whats it to you if someone has turned it into a personal hobby? How does this negatively impact you such that you feel compelled to argue in favor of your opposing side? Maybe arguing with people about their personal tastes and preferences is just another hobby?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 9:45 am

There are plenty of threads dedicated to packing light or one bag. This one is for people who don't feel the need to do that and feel besieged by those who do. And yet again, we are told we are traveling wrong and need to improve.

For me, each trip is evaluated individually. Some I pack lightly, some I don't bother. You do you, I do me, and the world somehow keeps spinning.
84fiero and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by dalehill
Why do folks who have zero interest in packing light care so much about this issue?
Possibly because some light packers (and I know not all) have taken into looking down on, lecturing, etc those of us who are not part of the "only one carry on bag for a 6 week trip" brigade. I know I once asked a question mid trip about how to handle it if my bags never caught up with me where I was. Instead of getting told about the fact I should've been given a debit card by the airline for essentials because it would be at least 24 hours before my bags arrived (the airline policy at the time which I didn't know until I got home, so I lost out on something I was due), I got 10 posts lecturing me on how I was stupid for checking a bag, how I should travel lighter, how I had no need for all the stuff in my luggage, etc without a single one actually answering the question asked. Not exactly helpful when I was midtrip and without my luggage.

So no I don't care if you pack light, as long as you aren't one of the people who expresses some kind of attitude towards me just because I check a bag.
Statman, 84fiero and muji like this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Yes indeed, this is true. Thats where the money came in when I was working on my packing light project. ExOfficio underwear dries very quickly. Ive been traveling light with it for almost 10 years and have never needed wear it damp. I'm sure there are other brands but this one worked for me, so done with that.
Whatever works for you. Paying $30 per pair for quick-drying underpants just so I can travel light doesn't hold much appeal. When travelling I typically have better things to do in my evenings than scrubbing my underwear in a hotel sink. YMMV.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:46 am

Whatever works for you. Paying $30 per pair for quick-drying underpants just so I can travel light doesn't hold much appeal. When travelling I typically have better things to do in my evenings than scrubbing my underwear in a hotel sink. YMMV.
ExOfficio underwear sells for under $20. YMMV.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: *G
I've actually bought these back in my backpacking days , and have done the sink washing deal. Thing is - they don't dry any faster than regular underpants !!!
Old Jun 5, 2018, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
ExOfficio underwear sells for under $20. YMMV.
I wouldn't sweat it (in your underwear)

I've done the DIY sink thing, hotel laundry service, hotel washing/drying machine, and packing enough (or more than enough) underwear.

All are doable and vary widely in cost, and I haven't lost my integrity or missed out on precious moments of life because of it. All methods are relatively quick and easy (sometimes cheap or expensive).

In fact, this minutae of a topic within the general topic of packing light.. I never gave a crap to any of this until I read this thread.

If anything, I could do better things in my evenings or other parts of the (depending on where I am in the world) than post on FT posting about the virtues of dry or wet underwear and packing heavy/light.
dalehill likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:22 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Originally Posted by wrp96
I know I once asked a question mid trip about how to handle it if my bags never caught up with me where I was. Instead of getting told about the fact I should've been given a debit card by the airline for essentials because it would be at least 24 hours before my bags arrived (the airline policy at the time which I didn't know until I got home, so I lost out on something I was due), I got 10 posts lecturing me on how I was stupid for checking a bag, how I should travel lighter, how I had no need for all the stuff in my luggage, etc without a single one actually answering the question asked. Not exactly helpful when I was midtrip and without my luggage.
All too often you get less than helpful, sometimes demeaning responses to one's post on FT. Unfortunately, it comes with the territory.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by rbwpi
All too often you get less than helpful, sometimes demeaning responses to one's post on FT. Unfortunately, it comes with the territory.
Yep. You make innocent, no-ill-will posts asking for assistance, and a majority of the posts will respond as a meta-post; that is, posting about the content of the poster's post rather than actually answering the damn question outright. Often it comes in the form of self-righteous outrage.
84fiero, wrp96 and dalehill like this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:27 pm

Why do folks who have zero interest in packing light care so much about this issue? Whats it to you if someone has turned it into a personal hobby? How does this negatively impact you such that you feel compelled to argue in favor of your opposing side?
Because a lot of those (not all) on the other side of the fence try to force their zealot like approach on all others. Some even appear to think there's irrefutable logic in their approach to packing.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 4:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I usually pack light, but I almost always check my small rollerboard. My habits were different when I was based in PDX because their baggage operation is remarkably slow, but all airports on my current travel circuit operate with remarkable efficiency in this respect.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Yep. You make innocent, no-ill-will posts asking for assistance, and a majority of the posts will respond as a meta-post; that is, posting about the content of the poster's post rather than actually answering the damn question outright. Often it comes in the form of self-righteous outrage.
And often with a "Do a Search!!!!" thrown in as well.
84fiero and dalehill like this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by ft101
Because a lot of those (not all) on the other side of the fence try to force their zealot like approach on all others. Some even appear to think there's irrefutable logic in their approach to packing.
And vice versa. That's pretty much true of everything. If you need a new car and have settled on a Ford Fiasco and turn to a forum for advice on whether to go with the 4-door or the hatchback, you're guaranteed to get blasted by some zealots belittling your choice and giving their irrefutable logic as to why the only real choice in that category is the Chevy Chagrin.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.