Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Others not obsessed with "Packing Light?"

Others not obsessed with "Packing Light?"

Old Jun 15, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: *G
packing light is a bonus, not an objective for me. both during leisure and biz travel
Old Jun 15, 2017, 3:03 pm

I try to pack light, but for me, light is a relative term. My travel is pretty much entirely leisure travel, and I end up with my carry-on rollerboard is an electronics bag. There's no room to try to pack clothes in there to use that as my only bag. I do try to keep things down to 1 checked bag these days, although my upcoming trip this summer is going to test that, especially when it comes to my wife. Couple weeks, with multiple climatic zones being traversed.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 3:44 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
If you check bag(s) and they don't (ever) reach the carousel you would wish you had ONLY c/o.
I am only a leisure traveler, today even classy restaurants have done away with dress codes, so I can easily (even for a 2 week trip) get by with a 17" carry-on.^ [Though I could only fit one weeks stuff in the bag, I would have to wash clothes for the 2nd week.]
Several years ago I was in the customs line at JFK, a family of 4 was ahead of me: "we were away in Bermuda for the last 3 days and we brought NO bags", the CBP agent said "OK, welcome home"--I wish I could travel so light.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

yikes

Sorry didn't mean to strike such a nerve with a couple of these replies. I generalized I guess but I think it was that website that made me think it was a Badger of Honor type thing... it was hard selling me on packing light which I thought was strange. Not sure what horse that website has in the race. Also, no guy's father-in-law has looked at his son-in-law's 24 inch roller bag and said "Wow, I'm impressed, you packed sensibly for your trip" but I guarantee one has looked at an 18-incher and said "Wow, you packed so efficiently/light/etc."

So, not trolling really, but a 14 year tenure on FT does not equate to taking up residence. A quick search on the topic did not yield a directly correlating thread. I was really looking for thoughts as to what I am missing in the equation... and to be quite honest the 60 min bag drop cut off is one I had not considered. I could definitely cut it tighter to the departure time and save some time if I did not have to meet that. Not sure if that tips the scale for me as I guess I am an 'options' packer.

So, no stress to those who prefer the lighter packing option...I still won't recline my seat on you in economy.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Giggleswick
Oh, yeah? Well, I'm taking seventeen large suitcases and two steamer trunks. So there! And that's for just a weekend in NYC.
I'm bringing a paddlewheel steamer. And that's just to visit the opera house on the other side of the mountain!

Originally Posted by ft101
The guys that take delight in getting out the airport 5 milliseconds after the door opened are still waiting in the taxi queue (or bus or car hire or hotel check in etc) when I get there after picking my checked bags up.
Flying home into LAX with just carry-ons, I can be in my car and on the way home before the bags hit the carousel. I don't even try to single-bag, but I have a small backpack that carries all the electronics plus toiletries, and an old soft-sided shoulder carry-on (double clamshell, no rigid frame, one side has an expansion zipper) for my clothes. The soft carry-on is nice because even if I board late it can be squished into an overhead.

Originally Posted by derelict
For me it depends on what my trip entails. For trips where I am in a different city every day (usually meaning one flight per day or almost that much) I try to pack light so I can carry on only.
This is really it. I've flown with as much as two bicycles, plus extra wheels, plus various other luggage, and with as little as a small backpack with a laptop in it.

If I'm traveling up to 10 days or so for normal work or vacation I can carry everything in the bags above. If it's for fieldwork or an outdoor adventure, I might check up to the checked bag limit and have everything carefully packed to stay in the limit, or even pay for extra bags if there's a lot of equipment.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Originally Posted by ryan-twob
I generalized I guess but I think it was that website that made me think it was a Badger of Honor type thing...
My badger says he can't possumly get away with bringing only one bag.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Giggleswick
My badger says he can't possumly get away with bringing only one bag.
Ugh my typo.
Unfortunately, my "Badger" (my 12 yo golden retriever) passed a couple months ago, so either an unfortunate auto-fill or manual fill with the extra "R."

Hope you never had a kitty named possum. (though that would actually be kind of an awesome name for a cat)
Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Ugh my typo.
Unfortunately, my "Badger" (my 12 yo golden retriever) passed a couple months ago, so either an unfortunate auto-fill or manual fill with the extra "R."
Seriously OT, but as a dog-lover I send you my condolences. Twelve is a ripe old age for a golden, though.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:15 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
So, not trolling really, but a 14 year tenure on FT does not equate to taking up residence. A quick search on the topic did not yield a directly correlating thread. I was really looking for thoughts as to what I am missing in the equation...
As the person who accused you of trolling I see that I had a hair trigger. I regret that.

To address your question.... Remember that for almost anything you can imagine there are people who take it to an extreme. They focus on the metric and not the meaning. For the vast majority of people "pack lightly" is not about whether they can absolutely always pack everything into carry-on bags and certainly not about whether those bags total 9kg or 8. "Pack lightly" is really about making reasonable choices in what to bring in order to avoid the tradeoffs of cost, time, and risk entailed in checking bags.

Like most people who've replied here, I pack lightly... to the extent reasonable. On shorter trips that almost always means carry-ons only. Occasionally I check a bag for a shorter trip when I've got specialized gear that just doesn't fit in a carryon. On longer trips (week+) I usually check a bag though occasionally I can fit it all in a carryon-- particularly when I'm visiting only one climate and don't need both business and sport attire. Finally, when I do check a bag it's just one bag. (When my wife and I travel together we'll try to check one bag between us.) And it's a 25" roller, not a steamer trunk. I abhor packing more than I can lift in one go.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I generally pack quite light. On work trips I take only one personal-sized carry on (Red Oxx Mini Boss). I can fit a week's worth of clothes plus my laptop in this bag. I have no status anymore so I can't guarantee overhead space and I certainly don't want to be the reason my team gets held up on arrival waiting for my bag. I like having extremely little to worry about.

Domestically, my travels often involve connections. On regional jets. A carry-on of this size fits on pretty much any aircraft. More importantly, when things go pear-shaped, I don't have checked bags to worry about. This has saved me more than once. Most recently, I was able to switch *destinations* to avoid a storm only because I didn't have checked bags.

On long-haul travel, I still generally pack light (one full-sized carry-on plus a personal bag) but I'll often check my larger bag. Juggling more than that on trains and subways isn't pleasant.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by chrisl137
Flying home into LAX with just carry-ons, I can be in my car and on the way home before the bags hit the carousel.
Indeed, but the guy with the checked bag still pullled up next to you at the first red traffic light.

Originally Posted by Artpen100
What I can't understand are people who take everything but the kitchen sink, and have suitcases that weight a ton before you even put anything in them.
The airline/airport staff are dealing with it so weight is no real issue, and I'd rather have something available and not use it than want something and not have it with me.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Ultimately it depends upon the length, purpose and destination of the trip. My trips tend to be about a week, long haul.

- I don't go to work after the trip, but to the hotel or home, where I try to stay awake until bedtime, so waiting for a bag (it's almost always waiting for me, anyway) is not an issue.

- Checking a bag takes no time at all - 2 minutes at the outside, so the time argument just doesn't stack up.

- I hate being encumbered with lots of clutter in an airport - I have a roll-a-board laptop bag cum briefcase and that's it.

- I don't have to worry about the liquids ban, worrying about shampoo, sun cream, toothpaste, shaving gel etc. Plus I can happily bring home a bottle of wine or whatever.

- I need at least two suits for a week, two pairs of black brogues, five clean shirts etc. plus whatever I need for the evening, plus back ups if a shirt turns out to have a spot on it - there's no way that all fits in anything smaller than a proper suitcase.

- But a two day trip would be fine, or even a one-week sun and pool holiday.

- Conversely, adding a raincoat, sweaters or an overcoat blows that out of the water.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: Independent
There's a difference between packing light and packing for carry-on only.

For some it is all about how little they can take with them. Why use a 22in when they can use a 20in or even an 18in? I understand some people like that, and good for them. I am not one, though.

I do, however, pack just to have carry-on only. I have had too many instances where checked bags has cost valuable time, have gotten misrouted, or I have gotten stuck with a missed flight and without my luggage. I don't think those who check bags are evil, that is just how I personally prefer to pack.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ft101
Indeed, but the guy with the checked bag still pullled up next to you at the first red traffic light.
At LAX? I'm more likely 15 miles away by the time someone with checked bags get to the curb. Getting into LAX lately is a pain. Getting out is very fast, especially at my typical arrival times.

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
- I hate being encumbered with lots of clutter in an airport - I have a roll-a-board laptop bag cum briefcase and that's it.
A second bag isn't really clutter, especially if it's relatively light because it just has some clothes in it.

Originally Posted by Cloudship
I do, however, pack just to have carry-on only. I have had too many instances where checked bags has cost valuable time, have gotten misrouted, or I have gotten stuck with a missed flight and without my luggage. I don't think those who check bags are evil, that is just how I personally prefer to pack.
I've also had all those happen, particularly on international flights with connections. Not checking a bag eliminates that risk.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 1:37 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Ultimately it depends upon the length, purpose and destination of the trip. My trips tend to be about a week, long haul.

- I don't go to work after the trip, but to the hotel or home, where I try to stay awake until bedtime, so waiting for a bag (it's almost always waiting for me, anyway) is not an issue.

- Checking a bag takes no time at all - 2 minutes at the outside, so the time argument just doesn't stack up.

- I don't have to worry about the liquids ban, worrying about shampoo, sun cream, toothpaste, shaving gel etc. Plus I can happily bring home a bottle of wine or whatever.

- I need at least two suits for a week, two pairs of black brogues, five clean shirts etc. plus whatever I need for the evening, plus back ups if a shirt turns out to have a spot on it - there's no way that all fits in anything smaller than a proper suitcase.

- But a two day trip would be fine, or even a one-week sun and pool holiday.

- Conversely, adding a raincoat, sweaters or an overcoat blows that out of the water.
for me, one of the biggest factor is the extra time needed to actually MAKE the baggage check-in deadline. not the time checking in the baggage itself.

large gap between that and having an OLCI bp and whizzing straight through the airport.

as said again, i have no allergies against checking in. its probably about the hassle of lugging things around (esp with connection) vs time requirement.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.