Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Tips for someone about to become a real frequent traveler

Tips for someone about to become a real frequent traveler

Old May 31, 2017, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres. Circle
Originally Posted by bj27
Surprised this hasn't come up yet.

But always remember to be polite and gracious, always, and never act entitled.

Nobody will help you (much less upgrade you/find you an available room, allow an early check-in, rebook if your flight gets cancelled/delayed, and on and on and on) if you are rude.

As the world becomes more self-service oriented, sometimes we forget that in the direst of situations we may still need help from someone.
Along the same lines always remember that a waiter, taxi driver, bell hop or a desk clerk can often be the most important person making your trip a success. These are people that can truly bail you out if you really need it.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:23 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
There's lots of good advice in this thread. I don't think there's a single point so far that I'd disagree with, but these requests for tips elicit such lengthy lists of answers that I worry newer travelers miss an important point: You don't need to do it perfectly the first time.

Start with what you already know from your experience as an occasional traveler. Anticipate 2-3 things you might want to do differently in the future as you travel more. Pick whatever seems most relevant to you. That might be what seems most important or what's easiest to change. For example, planning how to stick to regular eating and exercise plans while on the road. Make those changes and reevaluate after a few trips. Keep what's working well, drop or change what's not, and always considering learning another new trick based on experience-- your own or someone else's. In time you'll be a pro.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:43 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Don't let this time in your life become a blur, buy a good compact camera, a Canon ELPH 3x0 series or similar and bring your own memory cards from the west. (lots of fakes out there)
Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:46 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Originally Posted by quemalo
It's a very good idea. It's no fun trying to find a chemist that is open at 3am in a country you don't speak the language of.
You guys have either had much better luck or much lower standards than me.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 4:50 am

Programs: BA GfL
I think the best thing I learned from 16 years of long, distant business trips around the world was that you don't have to jam-pack your days and nights just because you flew a long way to get to your destination. When I started out (and for a good 10 years) I would cram in as many meetings, business meals etc. as I could, just because I felt like I was spending a lot of my employer's money to get to X place, so I should really do as much there as humanly possible. Eventually I realized that this was seriously burning me out. I ratcheted back from 6-7 meetings a day to 4-5, and started saying no most of the time to people who wanted me to do things like breakfasts and dinners. My travel life was much improved, as was my general outlook, health, and energy level.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:26 pm

Take along activated charcoal pills-great for any kind of stomach problems. As a woman, I keep a whole second set of toiletries. If I'm staying some place at least 3 nights, I buy flowers and put them in the room.

When I get to the hotel room, I put away all the "hotel" stuff in the closet, magazines, ice bucket, shampoo etc. Gives the room a calm feel.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 7:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Go slow whenever you can. I see people pounding through the airport to get to the counter, customs, lounge, security, etc. Slower is always better. Give yourself the gift of time every chance you get.

Adapt to loneliness. Foreign countries particularly where English is not widely spoken can create a sense of isolation. I tend to be quite comfortable on my own but colleagues often struggled with loneliness while travelling.

Be self-contained and ready to leave at a moments notice especially in developing countries. I always carry my passport on me, have sufficient cash to get to the nearest airport and room on my credit card to cover a walk-on fare anywhere in the world.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 7:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by janaleigh
When I get to the hotel room, I put away all the "hotel" stuff in the closet, magazines, ice bucket, shampoo etc. Gives the room a calm feel.
If I did this, I'm sure I'd forget to *remove* the shampoo from the closet prior to starting my shower!!

I do often move the magazines off of the desk to make room for my stuff.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
As you go you will build your must-haves. Some are ones you find along the way and others not as much. One great item that I love is the TripMate Elite. I use it in hotel rooms and media centers(I am a motorsports photographer).

Hotel that has a hard line you plug it in and it creates your own wireless network. Put all my devices on it and get great internet most of the time.

I also have 2 sets of toiletries that stay in bag. Works great to always have everything which is important. I also echo the go slow. I don't show up last minute to airport and rush through. I spend 20-30min in the SkyClub enjoying the view and relaxing a bit. When I arrive I don't rush to the baggage claim and then rental car counter. It's just not worth it to be stressed out like that. Book the slightly earlier flight and have the spare time to not be rushed.

And I echo the choose a single or a couple rental car agencies. Even their basic tier gets a 'bypass the line' and go get into car. Or choose your airline and many give great status. Save the time 'for free' where available.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
My top tip would be to make time to communicate with my wife and children. Because of time differences, it's not always easy and sometimes I have to book a slot. But twenty or thirty minutes with the wife plus good time with each child separately keeps me spiritually at home even if I am physically elsewhere.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by janaleigh
Take along activated charcoal pills-great for any kind of stomach problems. As a woman, I keep a whole second set of toiletries. If I'm staying some place at least 3 nights, I buy flowers and put them in the room.

You must spend an unusually large amount of time in your room.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 1:34 pm

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
So good morning all.

It looks like I may be starting a job where I go from occasional travel (once every month or two) to 50% on the road all over the world.

I know all the travel 101 and even 201 stuff and travel all the time for leisure, too. I still get a kick out of when I get long haul J, but it's definitely nothing new (though I'm sure it will get old fast).

I'm looking for what sort of advice people have for going to real frequent status.

One of my big concerns is my health as it's easy to keep track of what I eat and just make the travel days a splurge but I suppose I'll have to start turning down extra champagne in the lounge for example.

My biggest question is basically what is that I don't know I don't know about the lifestyle I'm choosing to watch out for?
There is a pressure sometimes to not enjoy where you are simply because your OH isn't with you. Learn to get over that. I used to go to some incredible parts of the world and not experience them properly in case my wife felt like I was "living without her". Now I will happily go wine tasting in the Western Cape if I'm working in Cape Town, or skiing if I'm in the Alps in winter, or to the Louvre if I'm in Paris. If you don't then you'll start to convince youself that it is vitally important that you do three hours of emails in your room every night and you'll miss out on the fantastic life experiences on offer.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 2:05 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL PM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Make friends in the places you go. The rest is pretty bearable, but long stretches away from friends and family is rough.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
  • Be rigorous in monitoring your diet and keeping it healthy enough that you don't start gaining weight. Careful with alcohol
  • Exercise regularly. I love the idea upthread about speedwalking through cities.
  • Be sure your family/friends know what they're getting themselves into with your absence
  • Try to settle on one airline/alliance for the bulk of your travel. Since you're in MAD, I assume that will be Iberia/BA/OneWorld
  • Get a lounge membership
  • Remember to take a vacation. Being in airports frequently is the best way to turn me into a foaming-at-the-mouth misanthrope.
Agree with all that. Especially walking through cities. Also:

Learn to travel as light as possible, while still taking what you need. A high quality, ultralight wheeled suitcase is worth it. (I prefer Titan.)

Do the research before you go on where you will be and how to get there - including downloading local metro apps, loungebuddy, gate guru, etc.

Have backup plans for when something goes wrong (e.g., BA). And don't get stressed when something goes wrong. Because it will.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Invest in a good carry-on (cheap ones tend to not hold up well), and learn how to pack light.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.