Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Article: Your Reclining Airplane Seat Vs. The Lap Behind You: Who Owns the Air Rights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Article: Your Reclining Airplane Seat Vs. The Lap Behind You: Who Owns the Air Rights

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2017, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by jrl767
Boeing Commercial makes money from their customers -- principally airlines and leasing companies -- thus only indirectly from the paying passengers
For whatever reason they've had a tendency to assume airlines will be nicer to pax on things the airlines control, like the seat pitch, than airlines actually have been. Having two options on seat width seems especially cruel (i.e. a 9.5-wide fuselage that could be a 9 or a 10-wide). If any pax blame the aircraft maker, the aircraft maker will just say the airline chose that. I blame both.

Airbus hasn't been around as long but you see an awful lot of their product with ULCCs nowadays, especially the A319s and A320s with the non-reclining seats. While I can't say the passenger experience is great with those, the design does seemed premised on the airlines behaving in the way they actually do, so let's curve the side of the seats somewhat (a little bit more knee room) or not have much of a seat pocket or put it above the tray, etc.)
Old May 20, 2017, 6:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
2005 was our first flight over seas. Ewr-Arn-kul on Malaysia. The first leg was overnight. We had window aisle. My wife tried to recline. The man behind her said he was too tall to allow her to recline. She tried to adjust but he insisted she sit all of the way up. I assumed she had to. I'm still pissed I didn't call the fa. She was miserable and I didn't address it. The guy should have bought J if needed. I'm 6'5" and wouldn't tell someone they couldn't recline on a red-eye.
Similar story. During my short Southwest adventure between Delta to AirTran to Southwest to Delta...

Plane took off and I reclined my seat(aisle). Then I got what felt like a kid punching the seat. So I looked behind me and it's a grown woman. I asked if she could please stop and turned back around.

Then to my surprise my seat started shaking. She now had both hands on the seat and was violently shaking it. I turned around and say "Are you serious?". She said I needed to raise my seat because it was a problem for her.

So I pressed the FA button and shortly after the 10K buzzer went off the FA came and I explained to her what happened and she just turned to the lady and said the seats are designed to recline and she needed to stop and act like an adult. If she wanted she could recline her seat.

So she sat and sulked.
Old May 20, 2017, 6:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Are you saying you fly a lot of economy class flights between the US and Europe? Not a month goes by where I don't hear German- or Dutch-accented FAs asking someone in economy class to unrecline the seat during at least meal service. There are months that go by where I don't hear US airlines ask this on TATL flights. And I fly the US carriers way more than I do the European carriers when it comes to my TATL trips.

Recline your seat in economy class TATL on AB, LH and LX several times a quarter and try to keep it like that during meal service. Then see for how long your "never" remains "never".
I will admit that I don't fly TATL economy a lot., but a fair amount of my short haul in both Europe and the US (and I average well over 100 segments a year) is in the back. No one has ever spoken to me about seat recline.
Old May 21, 2017, 1:20 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Are you saying you fly a lot of economy class flights between the US and Europe? Not a month goes by where I don't hear German- or Dutch-accented FAs asking someone in economy class to unrecline the seat during at least meal service. There are months that go by where I don't hear US airlines ask this on TATL flights. And I fly the US carriers way more than I do the European carriers when it comes to my TATL trips.

Recline your seat in economy class TATL on AB, LH and LX several times a quarter and try to keep it like that during meal service. Then see for how long your "never" remains "never".
That's during meal times though, I have experienced the same on Asian airlines (particularly SQ) where they ask for upright seats during meal times but any other point recline is allowed.
It's just common decency to have the seat upright while people behind you are trying to eat since people generally lean forward while eating on a plane.
Old May 21, 2017, 3:42 am

Really.

FAs.

By the FAs telling the passenger (the ones in in front of a current or potential complaining passenger) to put their seat upright.
But this implies they do it at ANY time.

Yes... for meals that is certainly true.... but Ive never heard it at ANY other time. That original comment is a little misleading.
Old May 21, 2017, 12:40 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by trooper
But this implies they do it at ANY time.

Yes... for meals that is certainly true.... but Ive never heard it at ANY other time. That original comment is a little misleading.
Nothing misleading about my original comment. It implies they do it more frequently than US carriers, and they do.

Originally Posted by chris19992
That's during meal times though, I have experienced the same on Asian airlines (particularly SQ) where they ask for upright seats during meal times but any other point recline is allowed.
It's just common decency to have the seat upright while people behind you are trying to eat since people generally lean forward while eating on a plane.
Where is the common decency from the airlines that decided to reduce the space for the economy class passengers and since then increasingly demand that passengers unrecline the seat even when it isn't required under government/airline safety rules?

Do you realize that for some people the upright seat position is very uncomfortable, even painful? What's common decency then? If use of the seat recline is indecent at any time other than when required by government/airline safety rules, the party responsible for the lack of common decency seat reclining is the airline -- not the reclining passenger using the seat as it was designed, including at meal times.
Old May 21, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Last month I was on OS VIE-EWR, after take off I went to recline my seat .... just slightly, NOT fully or even 1/4 back. The woman behind me violently pushed my seatback up and proceeded to loudly exclaim that she was ill and could not have me recline. The FA came and explained to her that I should be able to do so, the woman's husband seated next to her told her she was wrong... but for the entire flight she kept her knees pressed (or so it seemed as I was unable to move my seatback. (Not sure if she had one of those devices to keep it upright, but she was elderly and rather large, so I assume it was just her knees). Her husband proceed to sleep (or ignore her), and the FA just shrugged when I asked about it. Needless to say, not a good 9 hr flight back home.
Old May 21, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by mauld
Last month I was on OS VIE-EWR, after take off I went to recline my seat .... just slightly, NOT fully or even 1/4 back. The woman behind me violently pushed my seatback up and proceeded to loudly exclaim that she was ill and could not have me recline. The FA came and explained to her that I should be able to do so, the woman's husband seated next to her told her she was wrong... but for the entire flight she kept her knees pressed (or so it seemed as I was unable to move my seatback. (Not sure if she had one of those devices to keep it upright, but she was elderly and rather large, so I assume it was just her knees). Her husband proceed to sleep (or ignore her), and the FA just shrugged when I asked about it. Needless to say, not a good 9 hr flight back home.
Similar thing happened to me on an overnight IAD-CDG flight years ago. One of the things that got me to start reading FT and learning how to upgrade. It was not sitting in economy so much as the other passengers that were most annoying.
Old May 22, 2017, 2:46 am

If use of the seat recline is indecent at any time other than when required by government/airline safety rules, the party responsible for the lack of common decency seat reclining is the airline -- not the reclining passenger using the seat as it was designed, including at meal times.
Both parties could be lacking common decency, it's not an either/or situation.
Old May 22, 2017, 5:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ft101
Both parties could be lacking common decency, it's not an either/or situation.

Both parties being those denying the use of the seat as installed by the airline: the airline crew demanding the seat not be reclined, and the complaining/resisting "passenger behind" the seat that reclines.

It can be an either/or situation, especially when the anti-reclining types are undermining the liberty of the passenger from using their own paid-for seat as designed/installed. It's a false equivalency that would blame the seat-reclining party for nothing more than lawfully reclining the seat as designed/installed as the seat-reclining party desires when encountering the anti-reclining party/parties that are opposed to the seat-reclining.

The airlines and "passengers behind" can pay for seats so there isn't a fuss made about people wanting to use the seat as designed/installed. Have a problem with a seat reclining in front of you as designed/installed? Then where is the common decency in not paying up for a seat that doesn't face this issue of a seat reclining immediately in front of one's own seat? It's lacking on the part of those trying to undermine the liberty of the person lawfully using their own seat at as it was designed/installed.

A lot of these "demands" to not recline the seat also seem to disproportionately be done along the axes of sex, size, and/or "race" and hit some people more than others while favoring others on the bases of sex, size and/or race. If someone pays for a two or three year old relative to fly in economy class, why shouldn't the little one be allowed to have his/her seat reclined to enable a better sleep/experience by using the seat as designed? And yet there's been a growing chorus of pax and FAs who complain about kids' use of seat recline as designed.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 22, 2017 at 5:32 am
Old May 22, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Both parties being those denying the use of the seat as installed by the airline: the airline crew demanding the seat not be reclined, and the complaining/resisting "passenger behind" the seat that reclines.

It can be an either/or situation, especially when the anti-reclining types are undermining the liberty of the passenger from using their own paid
-for seat as designed/installed. It's a false equivalency that would blame the seat-reclining party for nothing more than lawfully reclining the seat as designed/installed as the seat-reclining party desires when encountering the anti-reclining party/parties that are opposed to the seat-reclining.

The airlines and "passengers behind" can pay for seats so there isn't a fuss made about people wanting to use the seat as designed/installed. Have a problem with a seat reclining in front of you as designed/installed? Then where is the common decency in not paying up for a seat that doesn't face this issue of a seat reclining immediately in front of one's own seat? It's lacking on the part of those trying to undermine the liberty of the person lawfully using their own seat at as it was designed/installed.

A lot of these "demands" to not recline the seat also seem to disproportionately be done along the axes of sex, size, and/or "race" and hit some people more than others while favoring others on the bases of sex, size and/or race. If someone pays for a two or three year old relative to fly in economy class, why shouldn't the little one be allowed to have his/her seat reclined to enable a better sleep/experience by using the seat as designed? And yet there's been a growing chorus of pax and FAs who complain about kids' use of seat recline as designed.
You had an excellent post until you played the race, gender, and age cards all at once. A seat recliner is a seat recliner regardless of these characteristics. They have the right to use their seat as designed/intended, full stop.
Old May 22, 2017, 10:00 am

Both parties . . . .
Good spot, it should have said all parties, not merely both. Airline staff and both groups of passengers should all show common decency.
Old May 22, 2017, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kb9522
You had an excellent post until you played the race, gender, and age cards all at once.
The point is that prejudices of various sorts are in play on airlines too. Do you really believe that those factors and size are never involved in how passengers deal with each other and in how cabin crew may deal with passengers.
Old May 22, 2017, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
The point is that prejudices of various sorts are in play on airlines too. Do you really believe that those factors and size are never involved in how passengers deal with each other and in how cabin crew may deal with passengers.
I really believe that race and gender play no part, yes. Age only to the extent that extremely old or extremely young travelers require additional assistance. And size only when it's an issue about encroaching seat space.

Do you really believe that FAs are bigots?

I don't mean to jump down your throat about it, it's just been my experience that people who claim such things are simply eager to play the victim card where no such issue exists. It makes my spidey senses tingle every time I hear it now.
Old May 22, 2017, 5:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jrl767
I joined the 777 Customer Engineering organization shortly after Boeing launched the program in 1995, so my perspective isn't necessarily current ... but I will suggest that passengers' feelings about cabin accommodations absolutely do NOT matter to Boeing (nor, presumably, to every other major airframer) in terms of influencing design decisions

Boeing Commercial provides the interfaces (structural attach points. power, air, water, etc) for pretty much everything in the cabin as part of the airframe; all the passenger-facing items -- seats, galleys, lavs, overhead bins, passenger service units (containing vents, lights, call buttons, etc), closets, IFE, and the like -- are buyer-furnished equipment

Boeing Commercial makes money from their customers -- principally airlines and leasing companies -- thus only indirectly from the paying passengers
Of course. Boeing's customers are the airlines, not their passengers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.