Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question about lounge dress codes

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2017, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Question about lounge dress codes

Female traveling with hubby and the kids a few times this year. We just signed up for the CSR card and now have unlimited access to the priority pass lounges. What is the expected dress code for adults/children? Are slacks ok vs a dress? What is appropriate for children on C1 - C2 overnight flights? Thanks!

In case it helps, some locations where we have a layover will be ATL, IAH, IAD, FCO, CUN, LHR and SOF.
Old May 9, 2017, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i have very nice, upscale pajamas i wear in the evening. what's a c1-c2 flight?
Old May 9, 2017, 7:32 am
Original Poster

I assume you're kidding. They won't be in PJ's. Just wondering if my daughter (13) can get away with her yoga type pants. It's an overnight flight, so she'll want to be a little more comfortable. Some of the layovers are around 5 hrs.
Old May 9, 2017, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yoga pants, tracksuits, slacks, all acceptable for wearing on a flight and therefore in a priority pass lounge. And yes, I have seen people in pajamas in the lounge before evening flights (they take a shower, put on PJs). I wait until I am on board the plane before putting on my PJs for long haul flights though!
Old May 9, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: *G
strictly speaking, some lounge will have written conditions such as:

* "smart casual dress at all times"
* "dress code enforced"
* "dress code applicable (shoes required for entry)"
* "smart casual dress at all times (no shorts, vests, basecall caps or football shirts allowed)"

practically speaking, ive seen almost everything everywhere

frankly speaking, one should be conscious of not appearing slovenly... not just for airport lounge, but anywhere in public view. its just good manners.
Old May 9, 2017, 12:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've never been in a Priority Pass lounge that was so upscale it had a dress code. The best case for a PP lounge is that it's a regular, mainline airline lounge like an Air Canada club or similar.

Lounges can arbitrarily decide not to let in PP cardholders at their discretion, so also be prepared for this.

PP has an app, so check out the various options for each of your airports. If there's an "unusual" one with a dress code, there's at least a chance the app will mention it. If you have questions about how nice a given lounge is, someone on FT will probably know the answer.
Old May 9, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by TravelingNomads
I assume you're kidding. They won't be in PJ's. Just wondering if my daughter (13) can get away with her yoga type pants. It's an overnight flight, so she'll want to be a little more comfortable. Some of the layovers are around 5 hrs.
Why not? Our (now 10 yr old) daughter loves travelling in her PJs for any flight longer than 5 hrs - has done so since she was a baby. These days, there is very little difference between loose pants and PJs. She looks adorable and is most comfortable. She also carries her favorite stuffed toy with her on the planes every single time.
Old May 9, 2017, 12:48 pm

Don't worry about it at all. Anything you wear will be fine. I suppose there are some extreme cases that might cause an issue, but given the fact that you are even asking about dress codes suggest you would not show up in dirty or extremely revealing clothes, etc. If you mention girls yoga pants because of the United incident a while back, remember that was only because of staff non-rev issues. Bottom line, if you would wear it in the terminal/plane, in the lounge is fine.

If I recall correctly, a Virgin Atlantic lounge used to encourage passengers to change into their sleep suits in the lounge so they could relax and sleep more on the plane. I think the lounge had direct boarding.

I have never seen 'C1-C2' before, but a quick search suggests it means North America to Europe, where C1 means North America and C2 means Europe.
Old May 9, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
One thing I've picked up upon from various FT threads is that some of these things have very different meanings to different people and in different parts of the world. "Pajamas" is one example.

On another thread, I learned that it's perfectly normal to wear a "singlet" in the lounge. Coming from the USA, I have a vision of people literally wrestling at the finger food bar. But apparently in Asia, a singlet is something else...I'm not sure what.

I have daughters who own a type of PJs that they've worn to their school's Pajama Day. It's thicker in material, loose and comfortable, not revealing in the slightly. It's not like the near-underwear style from 50 years ago. I could see them wearing it on a flight. Although more likely they'd go with leggings and a T-shirt, United be damned.
Old May 9, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Be clean and not smelly - other than that, anything goes
Old May 9, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: none
To the old advice, "Act like you've been there before," you might want to add "Dress like you've been there before."
Old May 9, 2017, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Allan38103
To the old advice, "Act like you've been there before," you might want to add "Dress like you've been there before."
That's why the OP started the thread. Wanting to know, from those who've been there before, how to dress like he's been there before.

And the answer, for a basic Priority Pass lounge, is "don't stink and maybe leave the wifebeater at home."
Old May 9, 2017, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I know some of the Qantas domestic lounges have a dress code, but that's about the only dress code in regards to a lounge I've seen, in my limited experience.

Most places the only requirements I've observed is that the basic parts of your body are somewhat covered, and you have some kind of shoes on your feet when you walk in.

As to pajamas, especially on overnight flights, I would not be surprised to see adults wearing pajamas (many airlines even provide them in business/first), much less children. Yoga pants would actually be a step up from some of what you will see in the airport and onboard.
Old May 9, 2017, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Allan38103
I hate that old advice unless you've actually been there before.
I'm more into express your awe and wonder at new experiences instead of pretending you've been there done that. Disregard any snooty reactions to your joy.
Btw, ime for at least a few years now, in international lounges, at least a third of the people change into sleepwear before boarding.
Enjoy the lounge experience. Relax. That's what it's there for.
Old May 9, 2017, 2:48 pm
Suspended

I usually roll in wearing jeans, tshirt, and a casio. If you tip the bartender no one cares except snooty management consultants who are sad they aren't free to dress however they want at work

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.