Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

If these are your feet, stop it!!!

If these are your feet, stop it!!!

Old Jul 16, 19, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by COSPILOT View Post
And now we have this:
https://video.foxnews.com/v/6059824507001/
No idea what airline this is. But a simple reminder that everything is touched by feet apparently.
Delta
Old Jul 16, 19, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA (EXP), Hilton (Diamond), SPG (lowly Gold)
And now we have this:

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6059824507001/

No idea what airline this is. But a simple reminder that everything is touched by feet apparently.
Shrug. People who are sick sneeze into their hands. They think they are being polite, but they are coating their hands with germy, infectious snot. They then handle the IFE screen, overhead bin latch and cover, seat belts, air nozzles, light switches, window shades, etc. People poop, wipe their butt, skip washing their hands (or just do a quick rinse) and then touch everything. Yet it's some guy's feet that freak you out? Why?
84fiero, muji and ajGoes like this.
Old Jul 16, 19, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by anabolism View Post
Shrug. People who are sick sneeze into their hands. They think they are being polite, but they are coating their hands with germy, infectious snot. They then handle the IFE screen, overhead bin latch and cover, seat belts, air nozzles, light switches, window shades, etc. People poop, wipe their butt, skip washing their hands (or just do a quick rinse) and then touch everything. Yet it's some guy's feet that freak you out? Why?
Oh the opposite for me. I assume that all things are contaminated, anything and everything. I don't assume otherwise. There is a certain expectation of proper behavior though. I don't pick my nose in front of a client, but maybe I do at home. I don't use my feet to control the remote control for the tv, but I guess I'm not lazy enough, or frankly coordinated enough. Last, someone that does what the video shows likely doesn't care and walked barefoot into the lav. Stepping in the often liquid hell in shoes but removing them is fine, but going barefoot? Yes that is gross. But since anything goes, I'll be sure to plant my feet on the table or wall at the next client meeting. I'll report back if I land the project... At my local fine restaurant, I'll put my feet on the table, should be fine correct?
Old Jul 17, 19, 6:05 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
It's interesting that some people are easily grossed out by bare feet...and yet, some other people have a sexual fetish about bare feet! I'm basically neutral I guess.

My thoughts are similar to yours - the bare foot is less likely to be contaminated than the hand, unless they're a barefoot-lav-user as COSPILOT mentions. But generally I wouldn't take issue with the barefoot screen user and similar. I'm barely coordinated enough to use my feet for walking so I'd never be able to manage manipulating a touchscreen, so you won't find me doing it in any case!

I don't, however, want anyone's feet, hands, arms, etc. encroaching on my seating area, whether covered with clothes or not.
thebakaronis likes this.
Old Jul 17, 19, 7:41 am

Programs: UA 1K
Like @84fiero, @anabolism and a few others, I fail to understand the aversion for non-dirty, non-stinking feet, especially if it's not in your personal space like arm rests, tray table, your leg-space, etc. This is clearly a cultural issue. Many cultures in the world do not have the same issue for bare feet. I'm much more turned off by shoes on furniture or bulkhead or around the house than clean bare or socked feet, because shoes are a much bigger host of germs than feet (typically). I was also going to mention the weird contradiction between having an aversion for bare feet and the fetishization of them, neither of which I understand. Also, those who dislike seeing other people's feet, might want to reconsider their taste in wine. Traditionally, the most common implement used to squeeze out the juice were feet, something that's still in practice in many parts of the world. Now, I don't get that. I don't want anyone's feet (including mine) touching my food, although this too is more irrational than logical. Which brings me to the point another poster made above, about not wanting feet on a table because they put food on it. This is another practice I don't get. Why put food (like bread) directly on the table? Feet or no feet, tables are (typically) not clean. There's a reason why we use plates.

Last edited by thebakaronis; Jul 17, 19 at 7:59 am
Old Jul 17, 19, 8:57 am

Programs: AA (EXP), Hilton (Diamond), SPG (lowly Gold)
Last, someone that does what the video shows likely doesn't care and walked barefoot into the lav. Stepping in the often liquid hell in shoes but removing them is fine, but going barefoot? Yes that is gross.
Sure, it's disgusting to you or me, so I would not expect you or I to walk barefoot in the lav, but if someone else wants to, what difference does it make to you or me?

Originally Posted by 84fiero View Post
It's interesting that some people are easily grossed out by bare feet...and yet, some other people have a sexual fetish about bare feet! I'm basically neutral I guess.
It does seem odd how feet evoke such strong emotions on both sides. I wonder if it's because in our culture most people's feet are hidden most of the time? In years gone by, women's ankles were always kept hidden, and apparently it was common for men to have an ankle fetish.

I'm barely coordinated enough to use my feet for walking so I'd never be able to manage manipulating a touchscreen, so you won't find me doing it in any case!

I don't, however, want anyone's feet, hands, arms, etc. encroaching on my seating area, whether covered with clothes or not.
Absolutely and fully agree. People should not intrude any part of their body on anyone else's personal space uninvited.

Originally Posted by thebakaronis View Post
Which brings me to the point another poster made above, about not wanting feet on a table because they put food on it. This is another practice I don't get. Why put food (like bread) directly on the table? Feet or no feet, tables are (typically) not clean. There's a reason why we use plates.
Indeed. Just as an example, people bring bags, purses, etc. into toilet stalls and set them on the floor, then they put them on a table in a restaurant or lounge. How is that different from someone walking into a lav and then putting feet on the table? If anything, it's worse, since the bag or purse bottom makes full contact with the toilet stall floor and the table, while feet on a table usually only make edgewise contact.
jgor likes this.
Old Jul 17, 19, 10:03 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Sort of common to remove shoes in certain parts of the world, heck I go barefoot around the house pretty much 100% of the time, what I don't do is plant my feet on the wall. Despite how clean we keep our home, hands and feet tend to pick up oil and other stuff from the street. Just seems odd to me that some idiot would think it ok to do something he/she wouldn't do at home. I give my kids a hard time if they feel the need to grab the wall, as over time it builds up marks.
Old Jul 17, 19, 2:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Allan38103 View Post
I saw a guy picking his nose on a plane once. Who can I complain to?
Need video of the booger flick.
Old Jul 17, 19, 10:41 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz, Chase Credit Cards

Indeed. Just as an example, people bring bags, purses, etc. into toilet stalls and set them on the floor, then they put them on a table in a restaurant or lounge. How is that different from someone walking into a lav and then putting feet on the table? If anything, it's worse, since the bag or purse bottom makes full contact with the toilet stall floor and the table, while feet on a table usually only make edgewise contact.
I do my best to keep my purse off the floor of a restaurant under any and all circumstances. I will hold it in my lap if the seating doesn't allow for it to hang off the back of the chair or sit beside me. I'm phobic about having it touch the bathroom floor-- ugh, for all of the above reasons!
obscure2k likes this.
Old Jul 22, 19, 9:57 pm

Do airlines actually have a policy about this?
Old Jul 23, 19, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by ou81two View Post
Do airlines actually have a policy about this?
A policy on manners? Should they need one?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: