If these are your feet, stop it!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If these are your feet, stop it!!!

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2017, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by clobber8
I get the bare feet thing, yuk. I also get the F class feet on the arm rest thing, yuk.

But whats the big deal with putting shoe or sock covered feet on the bulkhead? It's not like you eat off of it.
Yup, I often put my feet up on the bulkhead (in shoes). If they offered a foot rest or better seats, maybe I woudn't have to......in other seats, I rest my feet on my under-seat bag so as to lift them a little. It's actually one of the reasons I don't like bulkhead seats.

Would I do it in a workplace? Yes, I have and would - because I don't sit in an uncomfortable chair in a workplace for many hours without doing something to make myself more comfortable. A foot rest is preferred, but if my workplace forbade them, I'd do something else.
bethyy likes this.
Old May 6, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: UA Gold (1K 2016–2023 by miracle extensions; RIP 1K status), 1MM
Putting your feet on someone else's armrest is selfish and disgusting. What does this person's race (or gender for that matter—but it's hard to use English without gendered pronouns) have to do with anything?

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; May 10, 2017 at 10:06 am Reason: Removed redacted quotation
Old May 6, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: AE, IHG Gold, Choice EP

Last edited by SunJ; May 6, 2017 at 9:18 am Reason: Wording
Old May 6, 2017, 7:00 pm

Programs: N/A (kid =! no travel :( )
Yea not getting it. If someone's feet smell and causing a disruption, yes an issue. If they are dirty and leaving crap all over the bulkhead, yes an issue. But otherwise they are trying to get comfortable on a long uncomfortable flight. Feet through the armrest slot or next to window, not acceptable as impinging on others' space, same with feet on back of seat and kicking it.

If you are looking at it from a dirtiness factor, feet in socks or not in socks cleaner than shoes by far. Same for feet vs hands, honestly your hands are constantly touching and moving bacteria and viruses around, your feet (unless you have a fungus going) are likely less exposed to the infectious environment around you and as such putting them on the bulkhead or entertainment system probably more sanitary than touching it and I doubt you have a problem with that.
Old May 7, 2017, 7:27 pm

The biggest offense that should never happen is feet on the console in front of you. (The space between seats in first class.) That is beyond rude. Anyone who does that is pond scum.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by pattermj
Yea not getting it. If someone's feet smell and causing a disruption, yes an issue. If they are dirty and leaving crap all over the bulkhead, yes an issue. But otherwise they are trying to get comfortable on a long uncomfortable flight. Feet through the armrest slot or next to window, not acceptable as impinging on others' space, same with feet on back of seat and kicking it.

If you are looking at it from a dirtiness factor, feet in socks or not in socks cleaner than shoes by far. Same for feet vs hands, honestly your hands are constantly touching and moving bacteria and viruses around, your feet (unless you have a fungus going) are likely less exposed to the infectious environment around you and as such putting them on the bulkhead or entertainment system probably more sanitary than touching it and I doubt you have a problem with that.
Exactly right. Some cultures are notoriously pedophobic. People get freaked out at the mere sight of feet, especially bare feet.
Old May 14, 2017, 11:13 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
In shoes, totally unacceptable, you never know what you have stepped in ! bare feet, I think anyone would understand that many people would find that offensive, in socks , could be unpleasantif smelly, and you often see people using the toilet in planes wearing socks.

In short, keep you feet to yourself !!
Old May 14, 2017, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Grog
While it makes for a cutesy line, the analogy is flawed.

I wouldn't store my belongings in a cabinet in someone's office. I wouldn't ask a receptionist (or a company's safety officer) for a blanket at someone's office. I wouldn't accept someone trying to sell me alcohol, cigarettes, perfume, and earbuds in someone's office.

Football coaches don't tell players "Excuse me, I know you're actively training, but this is my workplace. Would you sweat like that in someone's office? Thanks."

Doctors don't tell female patients "Excuse me, I know you're giving birth right now, but this is my workplace. Would you scream and drip afterbirth like that in someone's office? Thanks."

No, the main cabin on a long-haul flight is not the pilot's "office". Admit it or not, it's more like a bizarrely-catered open-bay hostel.
I'm the one who saw that pilot brace those guys. But man it sure would have been a more interesting story if you'd been on that plane.
Old May 15, 2017, 6:48 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by rickg523
I'm the one who saw that pilot brace those guys. But man it sure would have been a more interesting story if you'd been on that plane.
Hmm, I don't know. I don't do the bare feet thing (because office or not, it's just plain rude), so I wouldn't end up in that situation.

Had I been sitting next to you, regardless of my thoughts of "not an office, just a bizarrely-catered open-bay hostel in a flying metal tube" thoughts, I probably would've enjoyed watching them get braced.
Old May 15, 2017, 12:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by knit-in
I don't have a problem with people's feet, bare or otherwise, on the bulkhead. My armrest is out of their bounds though.
This.
Old May 23, 2017, 6:35 am

Programs: Oneworld (BAEC Silver)
I had to ask the man behind me to put his socked foot off my window-side armrest (window seat) and he looked like I had asked something so offensive.

I do not understand how this is not just basic etiquette to NOT put your smelly sockfoot in someone else's seat space...
Old May 23, 2017, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by n_f_c_
and he looked like I had asked something so offensive.
You did, you asked him to stop
Old May 27, 2017, 9:13 pm

Programs: Oneworld (BAEC Silver)
heaven forbid someone be asked to oblige basic personal space in the plane - since when is the armrest in the seat in front of you considered part of your seat? also naked feet or feet in one's general direction are considered rude in many cultures across the world, so in theory it shouldn't be offensive to politely ask someone to stop doing something impolite...but i guess this guy was offended because he didn't understand this concept...
Old May 28, 2017, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by n_f_c_
heaven forbid someone be asked to oblige basic personal space in the plane - since when is the armrest in the seat in front of you considered part of your seat? also naked feet or feet in one's general direction are considered rude in many cultures across the world, so in theory it shouldn't be offensive to politely ask someone to stop doing something impolite...but i guess this guy was offended because he didn't understand this concept...
he was offended because someone stood up to him, he's a complete arsehat
Old Jul 16, 2019, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
And now we have this:

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6059824507001/

No idea what airline this is. But a simple reminder that everything is touched by feet apparently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.