Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Be Proactive - Give Your Gate Agents a Gift Card

Be Proactive - Give Your Gate Agents a Gift Card

Old May 2, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by tvtd
All quotable quotes and could not agree more.
Add one of my quotes to the list for a lounge cert, eh??

(j/k)
Old May 2, 2017, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by tvtd
Last Christmas Eve I was flying B6 JAX-DCA. 7p or 8p flight. Handed out some swag to the TAs (last two aside from, I believe, WN down the hall), and proceeded to security with an unopened, shrink-wrapped box of really fancy chocolate chip cookies from the event I had just finished working. I tried giving the TSOs the cookies. They flatly said no. Pointed out the fact the box was unopened in every way possible. They said they'd throw it out if I left it.

Just when you try to be nice to a group of folks who never catch a break...
TSOs are a whole different jar [box] of cookies I'm afraid. As government employees they are just not allowed to accept gifts of any kind without obtaining prior permission. At least that's the policy at one federal department that I know of. Even attending events at conference where free food is served is forbidden without permission.
Old May 2, 2017, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by SBR249
TSOs are a whole different jar [box] of cookies I'm afraid. As government employees they are just not allowed to accept gifts of any kind without obtaining prior permission. At least that's the policy at one federal department that I know of. Even attending events at conference where free food is served is forbidden without permission.
^

Every so often government employees do something right. The rules for accepting gifts are extremely stringent like this for good reason. Government employees have far more power than any airline employee.
Old May 3, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
This seems to be one of the more bizarre ideas I've encountered. If an employee doesn't earn a tipped wage, and hasn't performed extraordinary service, I'm puzzled as to why I should be giving them money.
Yeah, I don't have an issue with tipping someone who is a tipped employee (even though there are cases where I think they shouldn't be, but I'm not going to take that out on them) but I hate the extension of tips to include basically any customer facing employee. Especially since, as others in this thread have noted, in the long run that just is a way for employers to depress wages and push an extra cost on to consumers.
Old May 4, 2017, 11:22 am

No Federal employee is allowed to accept gifts, even food & beverage of nominal value. We regularly provide refreshments for meetings, and Federal employees are provided the opportunity to pay a nominal amount rather than accept them gratis. Virtually all of them do, at least I cannot recall any that accepted the coffee and cookie without paying.
Old May 4, 2017, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by IrishAyes
So I used to do this as well until I spoke to a few actual gate agents and airline flight attendants and I was pretty surprised to discover that positive feedback often times NEVER makes it back to the employee. Or, it comes back so late that its impact is minimalized. The circumstances are different for those who are on the phone, but at an airport, it makes a difference.

Furthermore, to you it may appear as if they're, "just doing their job," but maybe a little encouragement will inspire them to go above and beyond after the gesture. Or, perhaps, maybe you didn't realize that before you got to the gate, they held the plane longer than they should have for a family that was going to misconnect if they'd closed the door any sooner, even though it wasn't going to meet the D0 standards.

The thing is, you NEVER know. I don't see what is wrong with paying it forward.

For those of you who think this is going to open up a can of worms, I'd love to hear your experiences working in the services industry for an extended period of time and then convince me why this will be so problematic.
More...everyone gets a trophy ideology.
Old May 7, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
you could always just hand over used/expired gift cards to employees for special service. It's not like the employee is going to validate it right there.
Old May 7, 2017, 9:34 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
I actually didn't believe this was a real thread at first.

This is possibly the dumbest suggestion I've seen on the internet today....
Old May 7, 2017, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
you could always just hand over used/expired gift cards to employees for special service. It's not like the employee is going to validate it right there.
They'll find out later that that $5 gift card wasn't worth upgrading you to first class for
Old May 7, 2017, 5:31 pm

Can't really imagine many GAs who would upgrade someone to first class for a $5 gift card tbh.
Old May 7, 2017, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
They'll find out later that that $5 gift card wasn't worth upgrading you to first class for
ha, I don't really rely on the GA to determine whether I sit in F.
Old May 7, 2017, 9:18 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
I'll make a note to also crawl down the baggage carousel feed belt on my next trip to tip the baggage handlers. Thanking them for not damaging my bag.
Old May 7, 2017, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SBR249
Can't really imagine many GAs who would upgrade someone to first class for a $5 gift card tbh.
C'mon... don't you read all those articles about how to get upgraded. Well there is the dress nice idea and now there is the give the GA a $5 gift card. It is surely true if they write about it!
Old May 7, 2017, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gilbertaue
I'll make a note to also crawl down the baggage carousel feed belt on my next trip to tip the baggage handlers. Thanking them for not damaging my bag.
Don't forget to wave down those folks driving the golf carts that make that horrible beeping noise. You can than them with a $5 gift card for not running you over.
Old May 7, 2017, 11:16 pm
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Don't forget to wave down those folks driving the golf carts that make that horrible beeping noise. You can than them with a $5 gift card for not running you over.
".....ah mate, I just live round the corner! For that tip you wouldn't mind dropping me off would ya!".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.