Reload this Page >

Be Proactive - Give Your Gate Agents a Gift Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Be Proactive - Give Your Gate Agents a Gift Card

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by IrishAyes
You know what is so incredible? How this story circulated its way around social media --- and the response was overwhelmingly positive.

You call it, "just doing their job." Okay, great. Ever read a copy of the Southwest magazine where it has letters written from passengers to the airline about ways in which its EMPLOYEES (not the airline, or the business, or its business model, but its PEOPLE on the frontline) have gone above and beyond to save a situation, a trip, a life even (of humans and pets) so that people can stay connected to what is meaningful in their lives.

You call it bribery. Free handouts. Trophies for participation. Opens up greed and a can of worms.

Who hurt you guys?!

Maybe try and remember, from time to time, that there are still good people in this world. And, in the airline industry, plenty of good people who are so passionate about the work that they do. And, how just like you have a tough day sometimes, maybe for them, it can be tough to smile a little more when they're overwhelmed.

I'm sorry that the suggestion of injecting some positive energy in the world resulted in all of you becoming intensely hostile. Clearly, most of you would rather choose the short-term sugar high of beating the idea down before even giving it a try. Holding onto resentment and bitterness is so much more exhausting than being open-minded.

Really so sorry to bother all of you with the repugnant concept of learning to think beyond yourselves.
Well, finally you came to the right social network-- that of frequent fliers-- and the consensus here is a resounding NO.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
What about the Flying High movie. They'd need 50 gidt cards as the plane is coming in at gate 15, gate 16, gate 17.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Does this work in both directions... can I take money out of the GA's pockets if I get screwed over?
Old Apr 29, 2017, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Does this work in both directions... can I take money out of the GA's pockets if I get screwed over?
It's always a one way street!
Old May 1, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, Amex HHonors Surpass, HHonors Gold
Again, you don't know the full story --- you'll hear from many frontline employees that such feedback never actually makes its way back to them.
If such feedback never actually makes its way back to them, then how do they know such feedback was left in the first place?
Old May 1, 2017, 3:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Really so sorry to bother all of you with the repugnant concept of learning to think beyond yourselves.
The only thing repugnant here is the concept of introducing bribery into an environment where it currently does not exist.

But hey, I'm super stoked that "social media" loved the idea.
Old May 1, 2017, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
If you want to add Gate Agents to your holiday gift list along with your postal carrier, that's one thing. To suggest that many passengers should just start showering airline staff with gift cards is another matter.

That's not to say you can't find the time and the opportunity to work in some everyday kindness. I was at SDF last night and a GA had visibly been run ragged all day long by IROPS. After rebooking the guy in front of me, he asked if he could get her anything. First reaction was a quick and automatic no, but he persisted that he was off to get himself a snack and drink anyway. A crack in the armor, and the GA quietly admitted a bottle of water would be fantastic. A few minutes later he returned with one for him and one for her, for which she was grateful.

Take care of your fellow humans when they need it. Don't create a monster by habitualizing unnecessary gestures when they don't.
Old May 1, 2017, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Yes! If it's a two-way street I'm all in!

But in all seriousness. Still a very strong no in my book.
Old May 1, 2017, 8:21 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
When I woke up today, I took a train to work. Should I have knocked on the driver's door and handed him a gift certificate?
I have meetings with a half dozen colleagues today. Shall I hand each of them a gift certificate before the meetings start?
After work I'm thinking of going shopping for a new pair of headphones. Shall I give the salesperson a gift certificate before asking him/her for recommendations?
Old May 1, 2017, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shuigao
When I woke up today, I took a train to work. Should I have knocked on the driver's door and handed him a gift certificate?
I have meetings with a half dozen colleagues today. Shall I hand each of them a gift certificate before the meetings start?
After work I'm thinking of going shopping for a new pair of headphones. Shall I give the salesperson a gift certificate before asking him/her for recommendations?
Of course you should have!
Old May 2, 2017, 1:58 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by JY1024
Remember - "play the ball, not the player."

Everyone is free to contribute their own points of view and opinions. Disagreement is totally fine, but personal attacks will not be tolerated. Please help keep the thread on-topic, engaging, and constructive. Thanks for your help and cooperation!

/Moderator
should we also tip moderators for keeping the peace?
Old May 2, 2017, 3:47 am

Programs: FB Gold - M&S Gold
You know what is so incredible? How this story circulated its way around social media --- and the response was overwhelmingly positive.

You call it, "just doing their job." Okay, great. Ever read a copy of the Southwest magazine where it has letters written from passengers to the airline about ways in which its EMPLOYEES (not the airline, or the business, or its business model, but its PEOPLE on the frontline) have gone above and beyond to save a situation, a trip, a life even (of humans and pets) so that people can stay connected to what is meaningful in their lives.

You call it bribery. Free handouts. Trophies for participation. Opens up greed and a can of worms.

Who hurt you guys?!

Maybe try and remember, from time to time, that there are still good people in this world. And, in the airline industry, plenty of good people who are so passionate about the work that they do. And, how just like you have a tough day sometimes, maybe for them, it can be tough to smile a little more when they're overwhelmed.

I'm sorry that the suggestion of injecting some positive energy in the world resulted in all of you becoming intensely hostile. Clearly, most of you would rather choose the short-term sugar high of beating the idea down before even giving it a try. Holding onto resentment and bitterness is so much more exhausting than being open-minded.

Next time you should try providing us with gift cards or financial incentives, that may be the best to gain support for your ideas. I mean you should try to think beyond yourself and think about what would motivate us to go the extra-mile and praise your posts.
Old May 2, 2017, 7:14 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by deniah
should we also tip moderators for keeping the peace?
Couldn't hurt to gift them F RTW tickets. BTW: If you wish you could to that for other users as well.
Old May 2, 2017, 7:19 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WorldLux
So, you want to extend the "tipping" scam in the US to airline staff too? If generalised that's just going to give airlines another reason to pay less wages and gate agents to treat you poorly until you coughed up a gift card. I don't mind you handing out gift cards, but that just treats the symptoms rather than the cause of the problem.

My advice
  • To airlines: Treat your personnel like humans and have them treat customers like humans and you won't have angry customers.
  • To customers: Let staff know if they did a great job. I had many very friendly F/As on US airlines and really appreciated their service. It won't cost you anything and may make someone else happy.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Whatever happened to the concept that one tips (voluntarily and after the fact) for excellent or at least good service and that one does not tip people who consider themselves to be professionals?
Originally Posted by chollie
No, I am not 'tipping' GAs, FAs, pilots, or phone agents.

I regularly ask for employee names and ID #s so I can send an email to the airline specifically naming the employee and what they've done. That has included a phone agent who stuck with it for 45 minutes and got my problem sorted out.

DL used to give their Platinum flyers three 'job well done' certificates to commend employees on the spot. My only issue with that was that almost by definition, a Platinum flyer encounters a fair number of DL employees. IME, three certificates were never enough, and I constantly had to apologize to employees for 'only' being able to submit positive feedback.
Originally Posted by Duke787
No no no no no no no no no. This rush to tip is ridiculous (it's one of the things I hate most about our culture in the US) - why must the skids be greased to convince someone to do their job correctly
All quotable quotes and could not agree more.
Old May 2, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
This seemed like such a good idea, I tried it with the TSA this morning...

Last Christmas Eve I was flying B6 JAX-DCA. 7p or 8p flight. Handed out some swag to the TAs (last two aside from, I believe, WN down the hall), and proceeded to security with an unopened, shrink-wrapped box of really fancy chocolate chip cookies from the event I had just finished working. I tried giving the TSOs the cookies. They flatly said no. Pointed out the fact the box was unopened in every way possible. They said they'd throw it out if I left it.

Just when you try to be nice to a group of folks who never catch a break...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.