Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Red Eyes: Love em, hate em, or just necessary?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Red Eyes: Love em, hate em, or just necessary?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:34 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by chollie
I don't mind redeyes. The late KOA-SEA used to be one of my favorite flights.
KOA-LAX is a good one. Gives us a full extra day on the beach.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I've flown red eye SFO-IAD countless times. I love that it's possible, but it's not the best choice in all situations. It works well when I need to get east half a day sooner. I can meet someone in the morning, or drive/connect somewhere and meet before lunch, etc. But the idea that it really saves a day is misleading. I don't sleep well on planes, even in business/first, so I run out of steam during the day after I arrive. That may be a reasonable tradeoff on a leisure trip but it's risky on a business trip.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, United
I'm a regular on the LAX-CMH redeye, in F. I rarely sleep well on planes, and right now, I just deal with it as a necessary evil/trade-off for my particular situation necessitating the redeye flight. I've stopped flying the redeye on work days, as I am a mess and can't function after noon at the office. I now take the Friday night redeye home, and take a long nap as soon as I get home on Saturday.

I am taking my first flight where I have lie-flat seats to Europe in May. I can't wait to see if the lack of sleep on redeyes is because of flying in general, or my inability to sleep upright.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 1:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
When I lived near ORD, I'd take an SFO-ORD redeye semi-often. It made weekends visiting friends out there feel like a full weekend as opposed to just a day and a half. We could head down to Carmel or up to Sonoma for a solid two days if we wanted to.

I'd fly back on the redeye, land at ORD on Monday morning, power through a day at work, and then sleep 10 hours Monday night if needed.

That said, I was in my 20s and could sleep anywhere. I was AA Plat before EXP existed so I cleared quite a few upgrades as well.

These days, I don't take them often, except where there's no other choice (TATL, etc.).
Old Apr 14, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
I love redeyes as I can easily sleep on the plane.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, COPA Connectmiles, numerous others
Have never done one..

.. but I expect to sooner or later, as I'm planning to visit Asia in the next 6 months to a year (looking to visit Shenzhen, China and somewhere in the Phils).. I live in Birmingham, Alabama; should I try to leave from ATL or some other destination? New to flying that far..
Old Apr 14, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: United, Marriott
Originally Posted by Starztravel
.. but I expect to sooner or later, as I'm planning to visit Asia in the next 6 months to a year (looking to visit Shenzhen, China and somewhere in the Phils).. I live in Birmingham, Alabama; should I try to leave from ATL or some other destination? New to flying that far..
Maybe it depends on the person, but to me that's not a redeye, that's just a straight up long haul flight. Depending on how much the difference is, you can probably still fly out of BHM, but you'll definitely be connecting through a different major airport before going on the main long haul flight to Asia.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 3:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TheVJOng
Maybe it depends on the person, but to me that's not a redeye, that's just a straight up long haul flight. Depending on how much the difference is, you can probably still fly out of BHM, but you'll definitely be connecting through a different major airport before going on the main long haul flight to Asia.
I think of the eastbound TATL as a redeye but not the westbound one.

I don't even know how to categorize TPAC since my sleep is so jacked up and out of alignment with the daylight outside.

Coming from a small airport, it can't hurt to price itineraries from nearby large airports as well. Sometimes you'll find it makes no difference; other times your drive to ATL saves you enough money to make it worthwhile. Might be hard to justify the extra time if you're going solo, but I've booked trips with 5-6 people where it has very much made sense to initiate the long-haul itinerary out of ORD instead of my home airport.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
I hate them. While you might lose a day flying east during the day, you still waste a day after a red-eye trying to catch up on the sleep you didn't get on the plane.
I take redeyes at the holidays when that "wasted day recovering" is spent sitting on the couch eating cookies anyway. It doesn't matter so much if I'm a little bleary when all I have to do is get cookies from a box to my face.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Love/Hate.

I spend many weekends on the west coast for work. Sometimes I say "Sure I'd like to land at 6am and not waste the whole day". Others I say "Rather just sleep in and be well rested after a hard work weekend".

I can sleep on a plane in any seat. Really depends on my mood.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
... I can sleep on a plane in any seat. Really depends on my mood.
I'm pretty much the same, but I'll draw the line at pretty much any Main Cabin seat on a 739
Old Apr 14, 2017, 10:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jrl767
I'm pretty much the same, but I'll draw the line at pretty much any Main Cabin seat on a 739
I've slept 739 in main cabin.

Re-read my reply. What I meant to say is I can sleep on any plane... and choosing a red eye or regular flight depends on my mood.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 2:16 am

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Originally Posted by TheVJOng
Asian flights from the US are definitely red-eye flights, on the return. Virtually all flights departing Asia involve an overnight and arrive morning or mid-day. I've done over 250 trips to Asia, so I speak from experience. Willpower is the key to surviving a red-eye, you push yourself through the next day and it takes a few days to fully recover from the time change. I don't pretend they are easy but simply a reality of life for me. BTW, my company only buys coach tickets so the only way I'm in business class is by scoring an upgrade.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:10 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
For me domestic N.A. red eyes are a no go, unless I am in a lay flat. Even now, I will do SEA > SFO so I can do B6 Mint to BOS.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 2:47 am

I hate red eyes, particularly those ones from the Middle East that leave in the middle of the night and land in Europe in the morning. Have another one tomorrow, unfortunately

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.