Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What do i need to fly into the uk

Old Apr 8, 2017, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Im really needing some help can someone please tell me exactly what im going to need in order to fly into england by myself at the age of 17. is there anything specific ill need (besides passport). ive never flown before so any other tips would also be extremely helpful. not 100% sure that im going to end up going but if i am it would be in a little over 3 months. im trying to get everything rolling now even though i wish i started sooner im super stressed. any kind of help will be super appreciated^^^
Old Apr 9, 2017, 12:05 am

Programs: BA Silver
I suppose it depends where you're from, but whichever country issued your passport, it probably doesn't hurt to have some evidence of why you are traveling on your own - UKBA very alive to child trafficking these days.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 1:03 am
Original Poster

im from the united states alaska to specific do you know if i need a parental letter of consent to travel there i just really dont want to screw this up and not be allowed to enter i want to have everything in order to ensure it goes smoothly and what would be an example of evidence on why im flying on my own. its a trip i want to make but both of my parents are very busy with work and cannot afford to take 2 weeks off
Old Apr 9, 2017, 1:13 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by alaskacjc
i want to have everything in order to ensure it goes smoothly and what would be an example of evidence on why im flying on my own. its a trip i want to make but both of my parents are very busy with work and cannot afford to take 2 weeks off
What is the purpose of your trip? How long do you plan to be in the UK, what do you plan to see/do on your trip and where do you plan to stay?

If it is say a one week trip to London as a tourist and you have a hotel booked for the entire time and a return ticket you shouldn't have any problems.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 1:18 am
Original Poster

well okay you may not approve of this but im in a long distance relationship and im planning on visting my girlfriend and i would be staying at her house her parents already agreed to this and most of the time we would be staying in her town by we might travel over to liverpool and manchester and flight leaves on the 14th of july and id be returning on the 29th of the same month and its a ticket for both ways im just going for a 2 week visit

i should also state that i have a separate flight from Alaska to Seattle because it greatly reduces the cost and also would have a separate one from seattle back to alaska on the return flights

during my lay over in Philadelphia would i need to pick up my luggage or would they just put it on my next flight its only a 4 and a half hour layover. sorry for so many questions kinda in a panic

http://www.cheapflights.com/news/kid...ng-solo-guide/
on here its says only children under 17 need parent consent letters is that true
id be leaving on american airlines and returning on british airways

Last edited by JY1024; Apr 9, 2017 at 7:08 am Reason: Merged 4 consecutive posts from same member
Old Apr 9, 2017, 2:23 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
If you have a confirmed return ticket to the US and can reasonably prove to UKBA that you have funds to support your trip then you should be ok. They may want to call/confirm your story with the owners of the house you plan to stay at, so have all contact details available.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 2:28 am
Original Poster

so all ill need is pass port ticket and visa, would me logging into my bank account and showing my total funds be acceptable as a way to prove that i have enough money to fund my trip
Old Apr 9, 2017, 2:49 am

I'd be a little concerned that UK Immigration may think that you will want to overstay your visa.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 4:03 am

a friend of mine flew over a few years ago and they wanted to see his hotel and flight reservations as well as passport. Americans can enter the UK free of charge, we get charged to enter America lol
I'm not sure you'll need a visa as you'll be a tourist by the sound of it - unless you intend to study or work. Check with the British Embassy/Consulate - we can't advise.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 5:22 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
OP,

As stated above, you will need parental permission to travel outside the USA, also since you are considered a minor, the airlines may have further requirements as well, so you should check with each airline as well.

Entering the UK, I would suggest having a certified letter from the parents of your girlfriend inviting you to stay at their home as well as the contact information in case the UK Immigration Officials want to call and confirm this personally. Also, if something were to go wrong with the relationship, and they ask you to leave, where would you stay while awaiting your return to the USA. Also they may ask for some proof that the relationship was initiated in person, and is not one of communication by internet only. This might include pictures of you and your girlfriend.

<off-topic commentary removed by moderator>

Last edited by JY1024; Apr 9, 2017 at 7:10 am Reason: Off-topic commentary removed by moderator
Old Apr 9, 2017, 8:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by teddybear99
OP,

As stated above, you will need parental permission to travel outside the USA, also since you are considered a minor, the airlines may have further requirements as well, so you should check with each airline as well.

Entering the UK, I would suggest having a certified letter from the parents of your girlfriend inviting you to stay at their home as well as the contact information in case the UK Immigration Officials want to call and confirm this personally. Also, if something were to go wrong with the relationship, and they ask you to leave, where would you stay while awaiting your return to the USA. Also they may ask for some proof that the relationship was initiated in person, and is not one of communication by internet only. This might include pictures of you and your girlfriend.

<off-topic commentary removed by moderator>
This is simply untrue. The US does ot require parental permission to travel outside the US. If OP has a passport, both his parents or his custodial parent if he has one, have signed that application. It has been this way for at least 15 years and the urban myth just creates hassles.

What OP ought to do is carefully review what he will need for the UK and make certain that everything is for real. As others suggest, proving that he has the means to support himself in the UK, that he has a place to stay (address + mobile numbers so GF's parents can be reached), return ticket to the US (which he has), and a plausible story to show that this isn't some crazy fraud.

Finally, medical care. At age 17, who will authorize it and who will pay for it if something happens? The UK has a nationalized health service, so the government is paying and it needs to be assured that it will be paid back, presumably by a US insurer. So, have that information. You may have an insurance card. If you don't your parents ought to be able to obtain one for you presuming that they cover you. As to who can authorize medical care, make sure that you have mobile numbers for parents/relatives back in the US so that if something does happen, you can be treated. This isn't a situation where you would want your parents authorizing your GF's parents, never having met them, to handle medical decisions, should something happen to you. Remember, this isn't just about major catastrophes. This is about the many little things that can go wrong when you are far from home.

The UK's interest here is that it does not wish to be stuck with the care of a minor when things go wrong. At age 17, he is old enough to be put back on a plane to the US and that is what most concerns border authorities.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 9:00 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

My 17 year old traveled solo through the UK (and beyond) last summer on his bicycle. He had some cash, a debit card with ample funds for his length of stay, medical insurance, and a return ticket. It was seamless.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by teddybear99
also since you are considered a minor, the airlines may have further requirements as well, so you should check with each airline as well.
Neither of OP's airlines (nor any that I'm aware of) has any special requirements for a 17 year old flying alone...mandatory use of the airline's unaccompanied minor services ceases at a younger age than 17.

Basically what Often1 listed are the main things I would think of. Review the baggage allowances for your airlines - assuming coach, would be 1 checked bag for free. Same carry-on liquids restrictions as when flying domestically.

Are you asking about a layover in PHL on the way home? If so, yes you pick up your checked bags and take them through customs (after passing through immigration), then after customs there will be a bag drop for your checked bag - you just hand it off to the airline there.

Since you're planning separate tickets from Alaska to SEA, be sure you have plenty of buffer built in between that and the start of your ticket to/from the UK. Otherwise if your separately ticket flight is late and you miss the next (separate ticket) flight, you're SOL as the airline would consider you a no-show. While sometimes you might get very lucky and the airline would get you on a later flight, they are under no obligation to do so and you definitely should assume they won't do that.

You'll have to pick up your bag from the Alaska-SEA flight and re-check them with the airline on your separate ticket from SEA. Personally, I'd arrive to SEA the night before or at worst, very early in the morning if your departing flight is late evening-ish. I might be willing to cut it a little closer on the way home, depending on other options to fly back home from SEA (and the cost of purchasing such on a walk-up basis).

Also, just plan on withdrawing cash from ATMs in the UK (using a debit/ATM card not a credit card) and don't be concerned about changing money before you leave the US.

You might want to look into trip insurance as well.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by nmh1204
Americans can enter the UK free of charge, we get charged to enter America lol
But Americans (and everyone else) get charged quite handsomely to leave the UK.

OP will be asked to provide his full address whilst staying in country on the landing card he fills out en route and presents at border control. Other than that, his passport, and proof of funds and plans to leave, he ought to be fine.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
You could well be questioned by UKBA. (They will be thorough but they're just doing their job). Key points are:

1. Be prepared. Bank statement and proof of funds, letter from your hosts, etc.
2. Don't lie.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.