Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

why don't Americans (hotels) do breakfast?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2017, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Travelling in Asia there is always a full breakfast available. A spread you would never find even at a "Park Hyatt" in America (as Lucky from OMAAT always seems to think they have the best breakfasts). There is a real kitchen and a cook.
In Europe they have breakfast too, though not as much piping hot food as in Asia.

And these are even in cheap hotels!

In America you can barely get a breakfast. A luxurious buffet would have maybe 5 hot food items. Why is breakfast not important to Americans, whose cereals talk about it being a grrreat start of your day!
Old Apr 6, 2017, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ignoring low costs in asia? park hyatt (even NY) is not at the top in US.

what hotel brands in US are you talking about?

do all budget, boutique, select-service hotels in europe have that breakfast?
Old Apr 6, 2017, 7:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Free breakfast was just not the rule in the US until a very few years ago. You find it more often these days, but it would be difficult to retrofit hotels in many cases to be able to provide a YUGE buffet.

Frankly, I'd rather get a lower room rate and choose my own restaurant in almost all cases.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

seemed they were not talking about rate, but all day restaurant ?
Old Apr 6, 2017, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
ignoring low costs in asia? park hyatt (even NY) is not at the top in US.

what hotel brands in US are you talking about?

do all budget, boutique, select-service hotels in europe have that breakfast?
No brand in parricular, but $100 in US will get you nothing. In Europe 100eur will get you a nice breakfast.

In Asia even low-cost brands, like a Holiday inn Express for $45. Though in Asia I find hotels are a better value for the money.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
No brand in parricular, but $100 in US will get you nothing. In Europe 100eur will get you a nice breakfast.
Neither of those statements is correct.

Hyatt Place, where I can often book a room for less than $100, has a variety of hot items in addition to cereal, pastries, yogurt, fruit, etc. Most Best Westerns now have a decent selection, and LQ properties also do okay breakfasts.

I've stayed at a few hotels in Europe (NL, Belgium, Italy) where you'd be lucky to find a room for 100 Euro and "breakfast" was bread, jam and coffee.

Last edited by CDTraveler; Apr 7, 2017 at 5:31 am
Old Apr 6, 2017, 10:44 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Try Embassy Suites. Breakfast is one of their selling points.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 11:51 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I think I know what the OP might be referring to. I travel to Asia a few times a year, and I stay in a mix of serviced apartments and Western hotel chains such as Hilton, Marriott, Crowne Plaza, and InterContinental.

The breakfast buffets at most of the hotels I stay at in Indonesia (as one example) would put American hotels to shame: I can't remember the last time I had a hotel breakfast in the U.S. (much less at a Hyatt Place or an Embassy Suites) that can even remotely compare in variety and/or quality. I'm not talking about just a few items, but literally dozens of options including Western, Chinese, Japanese, and local food items, not to mention a variety of both stereotypical "breakfast" items and also seafood, chicken, beef dishes, and soups.

I wish I had taken a picture of the breakfast buffet that I enjoyed at the Crowne Plaza in Semarang, Indonesia, where I stayed earlier this week. The room rate (including breakfast) was US$67 after tax, and the breakfast buffet looked and tasted like it came from a 5-star restaurant. It really is several orders of magnitude better than what I typically find in hotels in the U.S.

Once you get in the habit of experiencing these repeatedly and consistently in hotels outside of the U.S., you'll find the hotel breakfast buffets in the U.S. to be appallingly meager by comparison.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Free breakfast was just not the rule in the US until a very few years ago. You find it more often these days, but it would be difficult to retrofit hotels in many cases to be able to provide a YUGE buffet.

Frankly, I'd rather get a lower room rate and choose my own restaurant in almost all cases.
I don't think there is such a thing as a free breakfast. It is always factored in to the price of the room in my opinion.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 1:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by annalisa12
i don't think there is such a thing as a free breakfast. It is always factored in to the price of the room in my opinion.
You know what they say...

TANSTAAFL

Old Apr 7, 2017, 1:59 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Well, 100 euros is 106 USD, so maybe the extra $6 covers the breakfast?

In Asia even low-cost brands, like a Holiday inn Express for $45. Though in Asia I find hotels are a better value for the money.
I think that Americans might just be more price-sensitive. Just as airlines are eliminating the frills in order to lower rates, hotels may also be doing the same. Very few Americans will choose a hotel because of the breakfast, but many will choose a hotel because it was the cheapest option on Expedia. In Asia, the market might be less competitive and more focused on hospitality.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 3:17 am

In my travels in recent years (almost all in Europe), I've noticed that free breakfast seems to be going away. I'm fine with that because I rarely eat the hotel breakfast anyway.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
You know what they say...

TANSTAAFL

What choo talking about Willis?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
What choo talking about Willis?
You know ... There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lreakfast
Old Apr 7, 2017, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
In my travels in recent years (almost all in Europe), I've noticed that free breakfast seems to be going away. I'm fine with that because I rarely eat the hotel breakfast anyway.
I've spent a lot of time researching hotels in the UK and Spain lately and I would say at least 75% of them have a base rate (pay in full now, non-refundable, no breakfast, no wifi) and then 3 to 5 more rates building up to fully refundable with breakfast and wifi. In the UK it seems to be common for the "with breakfast" rate for 2 people to be $30 to $50 more than the no breakfast rate*, and I personally have a hard time imaging a hotel breakfast worth more than $20 per person.

*compared with the same pay status rate, either pay now or pay later

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.