Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Anybody else turn off in room refrigerators?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anybody else turn off in room refrigerators?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
I don't turn the fridge off; sometimes I find a fridge unplugged and I plug it in as I like my bottled water and Dr. Pepper cold.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
I'm a light sleeper and the ac/heat/fridge/hallway/street noises used to bother me. Now I travel with earplugs. I don't mind a little glow from the clock or the fridge, that I can sleep with. In fact I usually leave the drapes cracked open just a tiny bit so that the gradual lightening of the room wakes me in the morning w/out the need for an alarm. If I want to sleep in, I overlap the drapes and clip them together with a hair clip or one of the closet hangars with the clips on it.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 5:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
If you unplug/turn off the fridge, make sure it's plugged back in when you leave. It's infuriating to arrive with frozen or cold food and have no cold place to put it.

Thanks!
How long does it take for the refrigerator to get cold again?
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:06 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Posted in 'TravelBuzz' - heh heh.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:18 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
If its noisy, its unplugged.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by JackE
How long does it take for the refrigerator to get cold again?
Several hours usually.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I always unplug the fridge - they invariably make a big noise when they turn on. Otherwise, I just make sure that all the various illuminated things are turned away from my bed.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by LtKernelPanic
Several hours usually.
That's the problem. The last time I traveled I had some medications that needed to be refrigerated. The last person had not only unplugged the refrigerator but didn't even make it obvious. I had to store it in the main hotel refrigerator and promptly forgot to bring it with me on my flight early the next morning. Thankfully they fedexed it to me with the icepacks so that I didn't have to miss my international segment. Very unhappy.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Having spent many days and nights at sea in an aircraft carrier, my tiny stateroom just below the flight deck and near one of the steam catapults (on any list of noise-makers, close to the top!), standing regular watches on the Bridge and in CIC, so that sleep (when possible) was at best in 3 1/2 hour increments, I learned to sleep through anything, much less the cycling of small refrigerators. Light? I soon learned not to begrudge my roommate light to dress by, when he was going on watch, and the red night-vision lights in the passage way (no door, just a curtain) were unobtrusive.

Awakened all too many mornings at 0330 to stand the 04-08, "The watch that ends the night", 50+ years later, I have no trouble "Z-ing Out" while my wife watches late night TV.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 10:41 pm

Programs: Southwest RR, Alaska Mileage Plan™
TMO,

I too got used to the carrier, but as that was 20+ years ago, I am now sensitive to noisy appliances- AC units or fridges. Not a problem at home, but then I don't sleep in a kitchen.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 6:51 am

I do it sometimes for the night if the refrigerator is particularly loud. I especially can't stand any sudden noise every now and then when the compressor goes on or off.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 9:10 pm
Used to be 'Scooter'

Programs: Free Agent
The louder the fridge, the better! I actually appreciate it as it drowns out the noise from the hallway (and from above if the floors are thin).
Old Apr 10, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Recently, I encountered a hotel room fridge with a "sleep mode" button inside that disabled the compressor for eight hours - which I used immediately, since it sounded like a gravel truck while running. Much more convenient than dragging it out and unplugging it would've been; I'm hoping this idea spreads.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Yes, as another light sleeper on this thread, I do often unplug the fridge at night to reduce noise. But I always leave the cord hanging in a visible place or the fridge door open to remind me to plug it back in when I want to use the fridge or at check-out so it's cold for the next guest.

I've also unplugged heating units in a few cases where it was possible and necessary to reduce noise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.