FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Conde Nast encouraging people to steal (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1824578-conde-nast-encouraging-people-steal.html)

milepig Feb 23, 2017 8:23 am

Conde Nast encouraging people to steal

From today's email blast:

http://www.cntraveler.com/stories/20...EwMTg4NDAyMwS2

I especially "love" the subtitle "we won't tell."

:td::td::td:

365RoadWarrior Feb 23, 2017 8:58 am

I kind of thought/hoped that your thread title was "overblown", that they weren't actually encouraging theft. So much for that hope. What a repulsive article.

milepig Feb 23, 2017 9:14 am

Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior (Post 27947794)
I kind of thought/hoped that your thread title was "overblown", that they weren't actually encouraging theft. So much for that hope. What a repulsive article.

CN Traveler jumped the shark a few years ago and seems to be run by a bunch of 20 something clueless interns. After giving them a couple years I didn't renew this year and don't miss it a bit. An average issue took less than 5 minutes to sort of leaf through. Haven't found a substitute, however, I'm trying Travel and Leisure, but don't plan to renew. Equally vapid.

pinniped Feb 23, 2017 9:21 am

Not only a repulsive concept, but really bad advice. :td: Hotels that are fully aware that their robes are in demand will simply bill you if you take them.

I've been in several luxury hotels that left a notecard in the room saying basically this: feel free to take the robe with you, it's $149. Or simply phone us: we'll send up a brand-new one in a box for the same price.

A unique hard-bound book: I'd never take that no matter how interesting it was. I might ask the FDC where I could buy one.

Toiletries, notepads/paper, pens, and other consumable items: I don't personally consider taking that stuff "theft", and I seriously doubt the hotel does either unless it's a very unique situation (e.g., raiding the housekeeping cart for a large quantity of an item). I just assume that 80% of the ballpoint pens in regular use on Planet Earth have Marriott's brand and logo on them, and Marriott is quite pleased with this. @:-)

milepig Feb 23, 2017 9:31 am

Originally Posted by pinniped (Post 27947926)
(e.g., raiding the housekeeping cart for a large quantity of an item).

I have to say that I recently stayed in a succession of high end hotels in Asia. In all of them except one I never say a housekeeping card the entire time. it was magic. In one, Westin Tokyo I'm talking about you, (yes, I know more mid-high end) the carts sat at various spots in the hallway for what seemed like 90% of the time. Once it was actually blocking my door, and they weren't cleaning my room. The toiletries were nice, I was tempted...but resisted the urge.

Gig103 Feb 23, 2017 1:50 pm

This whole "article" is ridiculous. It starts off literally saying "go ahead and be a thief" and then the second half lists items that are intended to be consumable - shower caps and pens? Really?

Even the phrase "blog post" is too kind for this garbage.

Jeannietx Feb 23, 2017 6:25 pm

A "pink seersucker bath robe" and they didn't charge her credit card?

That is beyond sleaze.

rumbataz Feb 24, 2017 3:54 am

Chavtastic!

How cheap and low.

Peoriaman1 Feb 24, 2017 9:03 am

Originally Posted by milepig (Post 27947880)
CN Traveler jumped the shark a few years ago and seems to be run by a bunch of 20 something clueless interns.

I agree 100%, and I feel the same way about a lot of formerly-great magazines.

The online versions are even worse. This article is an example. I scrolled down looking for the rest of it, and there just isn't any. That would be, what, a couple paragraphs in the magazine?

For the record, I have a lot of hotel-branded ball point pens.

Kagehitokiri Feb 25, 2017 12:12 pm

controversy = clicks

ysolde Feb 25, 2017 12:21 pm

If you like the bathrobe that much, I'm sure you can buy it. At one very nice hotel, they actually quite graciously offered my husband the book he had borrowed from their library and had been reading the entire time we had been staying there (he declined, but thought it was a generous gesture of the hotel's).

Otherwise, if you find the shower caps useful, take them, I suppose.

dburns Feb 25, 2017 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri (Post 27957393)
controversy = clicks

Perhaps controversy = clicks, but this article ensured I will veer away from the site whenever possible in the future

cbn42 Feb 25, 2017 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by dburns (Post 27958177)
Perhaps controversy = clicks, but this article ensured I will veer away from the site whenever possible in the future

Were you a regular reader before? If not, it makes no difference to them.

Kagehitokiri Feb 26, 2017 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by cbn42 (Post 27959227)
Were you a regular reader before? If not, it makes no difference to them.

they do not care about losing, when there are plenty to gain

rickg523 Feb 26, 2017 3:26 pm

Yeah yeah. The little shampoos - especially if you used some - and notepads and pens ( usually cruddy ballpoint - why take them?) sure. Who hasn't? Back in the day, matches and ashtrays were particular collectibles.p
But what hotel doesn't back charge for bathrobes? What hotel doesn't offer them for sale? Taking that and pretending you looked but couldn't find one to buy is theft augmented by a really weak lying rationalization. That person is someone I would never really trust.