Travel attire

Old Nov 21, 17, 2:20 pm
  #106  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ontario. Canada
Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Posts: 5,598
Originally Posted by DragonSoul View Post
Does anyone take safety into consideration when choosing what to wear? For example, I wouldn't wear flip-flops or 5" heels in case of an emergency evacuation.
I do somewhat. Most of the time I fly in cargo pants and keep my passport, wallet and phone in the side pockets. If the plane must be evacuated these are the items I want with me. Keeping them there also deters theft on overnight flights. I don't wear flip-flops or heels in any event and don't select my footwear in the event of an emergency evacuation but do not remove my shoes much less change into sleepwear until cruising altitude is reached.
Badenoch is offline  
Old Nov 21, 17, 6:20 pm
  #107  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, NY
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Posts: 18,185
Originally Posted by DIRECT MERIT View Post
I once wore black tie on a 7am flight from Nice to London, but only because I'd come straight from a party at the Cannes Film Festival. Still semi-drunk, bleary-eyed, I cannot have been a pretty sight. Gave the cabin crew a giggle though!


My ex-BIL flew from SFO to the UK to spend Xmas with me a few years ago. We were attending a black tie event for New Year's Eve and he is someone who always travelled by basically throwing random items into a backpack just before he needed to go to the airport. He couldn't figure out a way to pack his tuxedo, shoes etc. properly so decided the best option was to wear it. the whole lot....on an overnight SFO-LHR in Y He looked pretty ragtag yet spiffy at the same time!
Fraser is offline  
Old Nov 21, 17, 6:55 pm
  #108  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NY Metro Area
Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Posts: 42,628
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post


My ex-BIL flew from SFO to the UK to spend Xmas with me a few years ago. We were attending a black tie event for New Year's Eve and he is someone who always travelled by basically throwing random items into a backpack just before he needed to go to the airport. He couldn't figure out a way to pack his tuxedo, shoes etc. properly so decided the best option was to wear it. the whole lot....on an overnight SFO-LHR in Y He looked pretty ragtag yet spiffy at the same time!

If he had worn 5 inch heels too he would have been a legend.
GadgetFreak is offline  
Old Nov 22, 17, 4:55 pm
  #109  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: in the vicinity of SFO
Programs: AA PLT 1MM
Posts: 18,673
Originally Posted by DragonSoul View Post
Does anyone take safety into consideration when choosing what to wear? For example, I wouldn't wear flip-flops or 5" heels in case of an emergency evacuation.
Kind of; I wear sneakers rather than my usual sport sandals, not so much because of evacuation but because of the shoe carnival at security. Socks and sandals are a step too far even for me (and kind of miss the point of keeping my feet cool and unconstricted), and this way I'm not barefoot going through security.

Can't hurt to have the closed toes in an evacuation, but I don't think the sneakers really offer much protection.
nkedel is offline  
Old Nov 22, 17, 5:43 pm
  #110  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: In the air
Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Posts: 6,553
Originally Posted by DragonSoul View Post
Does anyone take safety into consideration when choosing what to wear? For example, I wouldn't wear flip-flops or 5" heels in case of an emergency evacuation.
Rationally though, if you're sensitive enough to the risks of having inadequate shoes during a plane crash with a hazardous evacuation you should be going around town with your own personal oxygen kit always wearing a helmet.
EuropeanPete is offline  
Old Nov 22, 17, 10:26 pm
  #111  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 901
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete View Post
Rationally though, if you're sensitive enough to the risks of having inadequate shoes during a plane crash with a hazardous evacuation you should be going around town with your own personal oxygen kit always wearing a helmet.
May you never 'enjoy' the thrill of PTSD.
DragonSoul is offline  
Old Nov 23, 17, 11:01 am
  #112  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 11
shirt, jeans and shoes

I always do this
Fedez1234 is offline  
Old Nov 23, 17, 11:39 am
  #113  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SJC/SFO
Programs: UA 1MM/*A Gold, WN A+ CP, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Posts: 5,412
Originally Posted by nkedel View Post
Kind of; I wear sneakers rather than my usual sport sandals, not so much because of evacuation but because of the shoe carnival at security. Socks and sandals are a step too far even for me (and kind of miss the point of keeping my feet cool and unconstricted), and this way I'm not barefoot going through security.
I wear sport sandals in the warmer weather along with synthetic wool ankle socks. That combo covers all the bases.

Can't hurt to have the closed toes in an evacuation, but I don't think the sneakers really offer much protection.
Years ago I switched to Keen sport sandals with toe caps and haven't looked back.
tentseller likes this.
darthbimmer is offline  
Old Nov 24, 17, 10:22 pm
  #114  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,125
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete View Post
Rationally though, if you're sensitive enough to the risks of having inadequate shoes during a plane crash with a hazardous evacuation you should be going around town with your own personal oxygen kit always wearing a helmet.


Not every emergency landing is the result of a killer crash. I've been through 2 emergency evacs and I don't even fly as much as many people here. Both times I was damn glad to be wearing shoes that I could both climb and run in.
ajGoes likes this.
CDTraveler is offline  
Old Nov 24, 17, 11:44 pm
  #115  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: in the vicinity of SFO
Programs: AA PLT 1MM
Posts: 18,673
Sport sandals are great for both climbing and running. Not so great for protecting toes from getting stepped on in a panicked crowd, but much much better than flip flops.

(Link purely an example.)
nkedel is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: