Travel attire

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel attire

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2017, 5:15 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by slawecki
wife and i were returning from abul symbol(sp). there were about 200 people lined up to get through the airport scanner. a pretty young thing in front of us set the machine off . she go back and take off shirt. then jewelry one at a time. then this and that. she got down to panties and bra, and still set the machine off. wife wanted to go next to join the fun. she was really upset when our guards walked wife outside the line and put us on the plane.
this post in pointless without pictures!
Old Sep 29, 2017, 5:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Calliopeflyer
That's why I choose cargo pants.
My choice as well. I also like safari-type shirts with larger, secured pockets for my passport.

The only thing about multiple pockets is making sure all of them are empty before going through security.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 10:11 am

The one thing that defines the truly wealthy and/or truly important people from the pretenders: Manners. People with manners won't be wearing wife-beaters and Daisy Dukes, but neither will they be wearing cocktail attire in FC unless they're going directly to a wedding or other function as soon as they deplane (which is highly unlikely).

Regardless of what they're wearing, their attitudes, manners, and breeding will always come through because that's how they were raised. As was referenced earlier in this thread, I've found that if I treat FAs and GAs like human beings and am warm and friendly with them, 9 times out of 10 they will respond in kind.

It's really not that hard to do and I don't have to give up my personal comfort so I can 'dress to impress' my fellow passengers who I will never see again in my life.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 2:57 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
On international J flights it's Dockers style cargo pants, suede slip ons from Sergio's boutique in Rio, matching belt, and a classy button down collar shirt. Comfortable and presentable.

In J or economy flown in country it's jeans and whatever shirt I want to wear that day, and this can include t-shirts, weather permitting. Not the shredded torn style, but good jeans and designer t-shirts.

I hope for the sake of our children people show up for Elon or Branson's space fights in suits and ties, so we can wax poetically about how glamorous space travel used to be in the good old days, before they start cryogenically freezing, shrink wrapping and stacking us like sausages to improve yield.
ajGoes likes this.

Last edited by KDS777; Oct 1, 2017 at 3:06 pm
Old Oct 4, 2017, 12:30 am

Programs: AA; Delta GM
The first time we flew in first class, I actually tried to look up online if there was a dress code for flying there. I was quite willing to follow any required dress code. Once I learned that there was not one, I went for comfort. That doesn't mean I was flying in pajamas, but I went with the comfortable pair of jeans and a loose fitting top that doesn't show anything when I have to bend over and grab my luggage to put it into the overhead rack.

I dress in neat, clean, but comfortable (for me) clothing. The longer the flight, the more I care about my comfort level.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by tentseller
^^^
One can never have too many pockets while traveling
I never put anything in my pockets when travelling.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 2:37 pm

Comfort to me is an elastic waist and an extra sweater.
rhivolution and dtwmsy like this.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
I dress to protect myself to the maximum extent possible from TSA gropers. Long slacks, shoes with socks, a fitted top. I care less about how other pax perceive me than I do about keeping those nasty blue gloves off my skin.
Ironically, perhaps the less you have on, the less there is for TSA to grope. If you show up in a tank top and ranger panties, what really is there to pat down? That outfit would leave VERY little to the imagination.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA Plat, UA Club, Marriott/SPG Gold, Fairmont Premier, Amex Plat
I picked up some sweats from Mack Weldon. They also have some loungers which are a bit dressier. Grabbed one of their tops and some underwear as well.

Combine with a soft Patagonia zip up hoodie and some All Birds.

Good enough to sleep in on a red eye, but also presentable. Presentable as in not outwardly pajamas (don't get be wrong I wouldn't show up to the office like this).

Switch out the sweats for a pair of slim fit jeans and you're good enough to travel with colleagues without a second look.

It's my go to, and don't think I'll change it any time soon. Good for domestic econ through intl J.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I never put anything in my pockets when travelling.
I do. At least for Takeoff and Landing.

Private pilots are taught "if you're wearing it, it's survival gear, if you're not wearing it, it's camping gear." Mainly in the vein of landing-out and crashing in the forest/desert somewhere. Don't expect your stuff to be accessible if it's not attached to you somehow.

That kinda transfers over to passenger flying for me. Shoes on, minimal cold-weather gear, if appropriate, money credit cards, ID and/or Passport as appropriate, and any "must take" medications. As soon as the aircraft passes into the "walk around" phase, then everything gets emptied out of my pockets and I get comfortable.

A SCOTTeVEST is useful for that.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:12 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
My first commercial flights were in the late 50's-early 60's and if I remember correctly people, including me, did dress a little nicer.

Now days all of my flights are either business or first, they are all personal flights, since I am retired.

The main thing, I am always freshly showered, teeth brushed, hair shampooed, so clean. That is what is important to me.

I wear some comfortable pants, usually black or gray, and a polo shirt, and always have a hoodie or other light cover that fits in my backpack in case I get cold. Shoes are casual for walking.

I don;t care how anyone may feel about my dress, nor do I have concern for others' dress.

One thing I do consider kind of gross is bare foot flying. At least put some sandals on or keep socks on.

JMHO

Last edited by Jeannietx; Oct 6, 2017 at 10:14 pm Reason: correction
Old Oct 7, 2017, 4:38 am

Programs: AA PLT
I once wore black tie on a 7am flight from Nice to London, but only because I'd come straight from a party at the Cannes Film Festival. Still semi-drunk, bleary-eyed, I cannot have been a pretty sight. Gave the cabin crew a giggle though!
GadgetFreak, halfcape and Lost like this.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by DIRECT MERIT
I once wore black tie on a 7am flight from Nice to London, but only because I'd come straight from a party at the Cannes Film Festival. Still semi-drunk, bleary-eyed, I cannot have been a pretty sight. Gave the cabin crew a giggle though!
It's been said before that the ideal way to board is a plane is dressed formally, tie or scarf rakishly askew, cocktail still in hand. But to do it at 7am... that's epic.
GadgetFreak and halfcape like this.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 5:58 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
There is a thread about penguins in the Destinations section IIRC.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
It's been said before that the ideal way to board is a plane is dressed formally, tie or scarf rakishly askew, cocktail still in hand. But to do it at 7am... that's epic.
I think the cabin crew thought this guy was on board...

https://youtu.be/18JmieM8SFc

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.