Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Travel attire

Travel attire

Old Feb 26, 17, 10:17 pm
  #46  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oxford, Mississippi
Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
Posts: 1,577
When I was a kid, flying meant Sunday-go-to-meeting clothes. And I still wear a suit and tie when attending church, although it is now popular to dress as if one if getting ready to change the oil in one's car.

Originally Posted by rdurlabhji View Post
Its a bus in the sky. Who cares what you wear, as long as you don't smell bad.
If some really hairy guy wears a sleeveless wife-beater shirt, it grosses me out, and the thought of sitting next to such a person makes me want to vomit. So I do care what other people wear. If an airline were to have a "resort casual" dress code, I would be more likely to fly it. As for the bad smell, I do wish the airlines would just have a list of rules like they do for exit rows that remind people to take a shower, use extra-strong, unscented antiperspirant, and refrain from using cologne or perfume.
BobbyC777 likes this.
Rebelyell is offline  
Old Feb 26, 17, 10:27 pm
  #47  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Tokyo
Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Posts: 596
Originally Posted by Peoriaman1 View Post
No!! Say it isn't so!
Surely a "lady" would not wear a T shirt !! What next, gentlemen not wearing a tie or even a cravat in first ! Some people seem to think travel should be comfortable ! I thin the COC should state the standards of dress to avoid offending some of the FT ers !
BRITINJAPAN3 is offline  
Old Feb 27, 17, 4:27 am
  #48  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Posts: 24,061
Originally Posted by Rebelyell View Post
When I was a kid, flying meant Sunday-go-to-meeting clothes. And I still wear a suit and tie when attending church, although it is now popular to dress as if one if getting ready to change the oil in one's car.


If some really hairy guy wears a sleeveless wife-beater shirt, it grosses me out, and the thought of sitting next to such a person makes me want to vomit. So I do care what other people wear. If an airline were to have a "resort casual" dress code, I would be more likely to fly it. As for the bad smell, I do wish the airlines would just have a list of rules like they do for exit rows that remind people to take a shower, use extra-strong, unscented antiperspirant, and refrain from using cologne or perfume.
Hear, hear. But...you went to meetings on Sundays?

Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN3 View Post
Surely a "lady" would not wear a T shirt !! What next, gentlemen not wearing a tie or even a cravat in first ! Some people seem to think travel should be comfortable ! I thin the COC should state the standards of dress to avoid offending some of the FT ers !
Indeed!
LondonElite is offline  
Old Mar 15, 17, 11:54 am
  #49  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: USA
Programs: Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
Posts: 728
A couple weeks ago we were booked on a flight that ended up being 4 hours late causing us to miss our connection, etc. etc. This thread popped into my mind as I glanced around at my fellow waitees.

I normally never notice how someone is dressed. As long as they don't smell bad and personal bits are covered, I don't care.

I took casual notice of what people were wearing both during the waiting and boarding of two AA flights and a UA flights 8 days later.

What I noticed is at least 75% were in jeans or sweats and tshirts or other very casual. About 20% were in khaki/Docker type with tshirts, polo other pull over, etc. And I'm giving a very generous 5% that were in slacks and button down shirts with or without coat.

So bottom line DH and I do dress like the majority when flying, which means casual and comfortable wear.
Jeannietx is offline  
Old Mar 15, 17, 6:53 pm
  #50  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southern California
Programs: UA Global Services
Posts: 109
I'm usually the most casually dressed person in J or F and often the youngest as well. FAs still treat me wonderfully. I do get looks sometimes from other passengers as I walk by them in line, or when they walk through the J cabin on their way to Y.

My travel outfit usually consists of sneakers (latest travel sneakers have been Adidas NMDs I picked up in Lisbon), comfy joggers, a t-shirt and a light jacket.

If I know I'm going to see some of the higher ups in my company on my flight, I'll usually dress up a bit. I once got to the airport in GVA and realized the CEO of my company was on the same flight back to LAX. He didn't even give me a second look, despite having met me several times...
dangerhsun is offline  
Old Mar 15, 17, 7:43 pm
  #51  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,002
Originally Posted by rdurlabhji View Post
Its a bus in the sky. Who cares what you wear, as long as you don't smell bad.
Smelling bad is the worst and you have to put up with it anyway. I don't like sitting next to some hairy guy in a tank top, short shorts and flip flops, and there's nothing I can do about that either except gripe on FT.
Tizzette is offline  
Old Mar 16, 17, 2:55 am
  #52  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sydney Australia
Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Posts: 12,773
Originally Posted by Tizzette View Post
Smelling bad is the worst and you have to put up with it anyway. I don't like sitting next to some hairy guy in a tank top, short shorts and flip flops, and there's nothing I can do about that either except gripe on FT.
Will you sit next to a lady wearing flip flops in F? I find the longer I am away the less I really care about dressing up. As long as I am neat that's all that matters.
Annalisa12 is offline  
Old Mar 16, 17, 8:12 pm
  #53  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Traveling the World
Posts: 5,324
I usually wear either a nice pair of dark blue jeans or Khaki Pants along with a button shirt. I have a nice J Crew, Brooks Brothers and just purchased two Stafford Travel Wrinkle Free shirts from JC Penny(one Rockefeller Grey and the other Oxford Blue).

To me one should look decent especially going to Europe. If the destination is warm then I will wear a nice pair of shorts and a nice short sleeve polo or sport shirt or my La Crosse polo shirt.

BTW check out the Stafford Travel Shirt here and let me know what you think about it for travel.

http://www.jcpenney.com/stafford-tra...208-adType^PLA
danielonn is online now  
Old Mar 16, 17, 9:09 pm
  #54  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 2,232
Sleepwear
Vaucluse is offline  
Old Mar 17, 17, 5:48 pm
  #55  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,002
Originally Posted by Annalisa12 View Post
Will you sit next to a lady wearing flip flops in F? I find the longer I am away the less I really care about dressing up. As long as I am neat that's all that matters.
Nothing I can do about how anyone dresses, or doesn't. I just sit there and keep to myself. But as to what privately offends me, the sum total of exposure adds up. Flip flops alone wouldn't do it.
Tizzette is offline  
Old Mar 17, 17, 8:11 pm
  #56  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sydney Australia
Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Posts: 12,773
Originally Posted by danielonn View Post
I usually wear either a nice pair of dark blue jeans or Khaki Pants along with a button shirt. I have a nice J Crew, Brooks Brothers and just purchased two Stafford Travel Wrinkle Free shirts from JC Penny(one Rockefeller Grey and the other Oxford Blue).

To me one should look decent especially going to Europe. If the destination is warm then I will wear a nice pair of shorts and a nice short sleeve polo or sport shirt or my La Crosse polo shirt.

BTW check out the Stafford Travel Shirt here and let me know what you think about it for travel.

http://www.jcpenney.com/stafford-tra...208-adType^PLA
Too dressy for me. My husband would never wear a dress shirt as he'd think it is too stiff and not relaxed enough.

However if you like it it looks really nice.
Annalisa12 is offline  
Old Sep 23, 17, 9:34 pm
  #57  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 8
Dress Code

Gang -

I hope this is the right place to post this. If not then perhaps a moderator can tell me where or move it him/herself.

I flew from BOS to RDU today on Delta. There was a millennial on the flight dressed in jeans and a 'muscle shirt'. The top made a traditional wife-beater look like a sweatshirt. Who wants to sit next to someone who is practically not even wearing a shirt?

Does anything go these days?

Bob
BobbyC777 is offline  
Old Sep 23, 17, 9:47 pm
  #58  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Programs: DL GM, SPG/M/Ritz Plat, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 5
Yes. Any sense of class has been lost in the current world.
FlyingHighAgain is offline  
Old Sep 23, 17, 10:22 pm
  #59  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NY Metro Area
Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Posts: 42,657
Welcome to Flyertalk to both of you.

Excuse me then while I pop some popcorn in the microwave.
GadgetFreak is online now  
Old Sep 24, 17, 2:48 pm
  #60  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 393
Originally Posted by BobbyC777 View Post
Gang -

I hope this is the right place to post this. If not then perhaps a moderator can tell me where or move it him/herself.

I flew from BOS to RDU today on Delta. There was a millennial on the flight dressed in jeans and a 'muscle shirt'. The top made a traditional wife-beater look like a sweatshirt. Who wants to sit next to someone who is practically not even wearing a shirt?

Does anything go these days?

Bob
Yes.
Calliopeflyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: