FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Travel attire (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1824086-travel-attire.html)

tvtd Feb 24, 17 7:27 am


Originally Posted by Badenoch (Post 27947353)
Based on that quaint conclusion I am "about" comfort and functionality. I am also emotionally secure enough to not give a rat's patoot about the opinions of self-appointed arbiters of what is acceptable fashion on public transit. YMMV. :)

I don't know if quaint is the right word, honest maybe. :) I should have pre-prefaced my entire statement with the fact that I am one of the least fashionable travelers out there. My attire is generally my camouflage Abercrombie (though I'm probably the most un-Ambercrombie folks around) cargos accompanied by hoodie and whatever client swag I might be working for.

It is probably the hardest thing in world to have an opinion on FT and not be taken to task because of it even if it's sarcasm or jest.

rdurlabhji Feb 24, 17 11:54 am

Its a bus in the sky. Who cares what you wear, as long as you don't smell bad.

GadgetFreak Feb 24, 17 2:52 pm


Originally Posted by jinglish (Post 27946513)
Despite having been on FT for a year and a half, I'm still amazed sometimes by the attitudes displayed here.

+13 :)

LtKernelPanic Feb 24, 17 6:08 pm


Originally Posted by fatmenace (Post 27943526)
Shorts and t-shirt. If I ask for another drink, I always get it. I've never been kicked off a plane for dressing down. I've never NOT been served my tiny bag of pretzels because I'm in an regular shirt. I find how I get treated by FAs is far more influenced by how I treat them, as opposed to whether or not I'm wearing a dress shirt. Don't like how I dress? Start your own airline and make a dress code.

This a thousand times. As long as your "naughty bits" are covered and you've bathed recently I don't really care what you wear.

Jamarynn1 Feb 25, 17 8:52 pm


Originally Posted by Pats (Post 27941932)
Refreshing to hear. I have, over the years, seen some atrocious abominations, even in F, plimsoles, anoraks, even ladies in t-shirts! I suppose the golden age of flying when people took pride in appearance are long gone. Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting we make ourselves uncomfortable but what's wrong with a Givenchy or Versace twin set for the ladies and at least smart slacks and a lovely jacket for the gents

Well, I don't know about the rest of you but I prefer to save my designer wear for when I'm flying on my private jet. If I must fly commercial, why would I care about making an good impression on the peasants? <SNORT>

Rebelyell Feb 26, 17 9:17 pm

When I was a kid, flying meant Sunday-go-to-meeting clothes. And I still wear a suit and tie when attending church, although it is now popular to dress as if one if getting ready to change the oil in one's car.


Originally Posted by rdurlabhji (Post 27953218)
Its a bus in the sky. Who cares what you wear, as long as you don't smell bad.

If some really hairy guy wears a sleeveless wife-beater shirt, it grosses me out, and the thought of sitting next to such a person makes me want to vomit. So I do care what other people wear. If an airline were to have a "resort casual" dress code, I would be more likely to fly it. As for the bad smell, I do wish the airlines would just have a list of rules like they do for exit rows that remind people to take a shower, use extra-strong, unscented antiperspirant, and refrain from using cologne or perfume.

BRITINJAPAN3 Feb 26, 17 9:27 pm


Originally Posted by Peoriaman1 (Post 27947135)
No!! Say it isn't so!

Surely a "lady" would not wear a T shirt !! What next, gentlemen not wearing a tie or even a cravat in first ! Some people seem to think travel should be comfortable ! I thin the COC should state the standards of dress to avoid offending some of the FT ers !

LondonElite Feb 27, 17 3:27 am


Originally Posted by Rebelyell (Post 27963027)
When I was a kid, flying meant Sunday-go-to-meeting clothes. And I still wear a suit and tie when attending church, although it is now popular to dress as if one if getting ready to change the oil in one's car.


If some really hairy guy wears a sleeveless wife-beater shirt, it grosses me out, and the thought of sitting next to such a person makes me want to vomit. So I do care what other people wear. If an airline were to have a "resort casual" dress code, I would be more likely to fly it. As for the bad smell, I do wish the airlines would just have a list of rules like they do for exit rows that remind people to take a shower, use extra-strong, unscented antiperspirant, and refrain from using cologne or perfume.

Hear, hear. But...you went to meetings on Sundays? :eek:


Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN3 (Post 27963061)
Surely a "lady" would not wear a T shirt !! What next, gentlemen not wearing a tie or even a cravat in first ! Some people seem to think travel should be comfortable ! I thin the COC should state the standards of dress to avoid offending some of the FT ers !

Indeed!

Jeannietx Mar 15, 17 10:54 am

A couple weeks ago we were booked on a flight that ended up being 4 hours late causing us to miss our connection, etc. etc. This thread popped into my mind as I glanced around at my fellow waitees.

I normally never notice how someone is dressed. As long as they don't smell bad and personal bits are covered, I don't care.

I took casual notice of what people were wearing both during the waiting and boarding of two AA flights and a UA flights 8 days later.

What I noticed is at least 75% were in jeans or sweats and tshirts or other very casual. About 20% were in khaki/Docker type with tshirts, polo other pull over, etc. And I'm giving a very generous 5% that were in slacks and button down shirts with or without coat.

So bottom line DH and I do dress like the majority when flying, which means casual and comfortable wear.

dangerhsun Mar 15, 17 5:53 pm

I'm usually the most casually dressed person in J or F and often the youngest as well. FAs still treat me wonderfully. I do get looks sometimes from other passengers as I walk by them in line, or when they walk through the J cabin on their way to Y.

My travel outfit usually consists of sneakers (latest travel sneakers have been Adidas NMDs I picked up in Lisbon), comfy joggers, a t-shirt and a light jacket.

If I know I'm going to see some of the higher ups in my company on my flight, I'll usually dress up a bit. I once got to the airport in GVA and realized the CEO of my company was on the same flight back to LAX. He didn't even give me a second look, despite having met me several times...

Tizzette Mar 15, 17 6:43 pm


Originally Posted by rdurlabhji (Post 27953218)
Its a bus in the sky. Who cares what you wear, as long as you don't smell bad.

Smelling bad is the worst and you have to put up with it anyway. I don't like sitting next to some hairy guy in a tank top, short shorts and flip flops, and there's nothing I can do about that either except gripe on FT.

Annalisa12 Mar 16, 17 1:55 am


Originally Posted by Tizzette (Post 28042762)
Smelling bad is the worst and you have to put up with it anyway. I don't like sitting next to some hairy guy in a tank top, short shorts and flip flops, and there's nothing I can do about that either except gripe on FT.

Will you sit next to a lady wearing flip flops in F? I find the longer I am away the less I really care about dressing up. As long as I am neat that's all that matters.

danielonn Mar 16, 17 7:12 pm

I usually wear either a nice pair of dark blue jeans or Khaki Pants along with a button shirt. I have a nice J Crew, Brooks Brothers and just purchased two Stafford Travel Wrinkle Free shirts from JC Penny(one Rockefeller Grey and the other Oxford Blue).

To me one should look decent especially going to Europe. If the destination is warm then I will wear a nice pair of shorts and a nice short sleeve polo or sport shirt or my La Crosse polo shirt.

BTW check out the Stafford Travel Shirt here and let me know what you think about it for travel.

http://www.jcpenney.com/stafford-tra...208-adType^PLA

Vaucluse Mar 16, 17 8:09 pm

Sleepwear :p

Tizzette Mar 17, 17 4:48 pm


Originally Posted by Annalisa12 (Post 28043639)
Will you sit next to a lady wearing flip flops in F? I find the longer I am away the less I really care about dressing up. As long as I am neat that's all that matters.

Nothing I can do about how anyone dresses, or doesn't. I just sit there and keep to myself. But as to what privately offends me, the sum total of exposure adds up. Flip flops alone wouldn't do it.

Annalisa12 Mar 17, 17 7:11 pm


Originally Posted by danielonn (Post 28047065)
I usually wear either a nice pair of dark blue jeans or Khaki Pants along with a button shirt. I have a nice J Crew, Brooks Brothers and just purchased two Stafford Travel Wrinkle Free shirts from JC Penny(one Rockefeller Grey and the other Oxford Blue).

To me one should look decent especially going to Europe. If the destination is warm then I will wear a nice pair of shorts and a nice short sleeve polo or sport shirt or my La Crosse polo shirt.

BTW check out the Stafford Travel Shirt here and let me know what you think about it for travel.

http://www.jcpenney.com/stafford-tra...208-adType^PLA

Too dressy for me. My husband would never wear a dress shirt as he'd think it is too stiff and not relaxed enough.

However if you like it it looks really nice.

BobbyC777 Sep 23, 17 8:34 pm

Dress Code
 
Gang -

I hope this is the right place to post this. If not then perhaps a moderator can tell me where or move it him/herself.

I flew from BOS to RDU today on Delta. There was a millennial on the flight dressed in jeans and a 'muscle shirt'. The top made a traditional wife-beater look like a sweatshirt. Who wants to sit next to someone who is practically not even wearing a shirt?

Does anything go these days?

Bob

FlyingHighAgain Sep 23, 17 8:47 pm

Yes. Any sense of class has been lost in the current world.

GadgetFreak Sep 23, 17 9:22 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk to both of you.

Excuse me then while I pop some popcorn in the microwave.

Calliopeflyer Sep 24, 17 1:48 pm


Originally Posted by BobbyC777 (Post 28851547)
Gang -

I hope this is the right place to post this. If not then perhaps a moderator can tell me where or move it him/herself.

I flew from BOS to RDU today on Delta. There was a millennial on the flight dressed in jeans and a 'muscle shirt'. The top made a traditional wife-beater look like a sweatshirt. Who wants to sit next to someone who is practically not even wearing a shirt?

Does anything go these days?

Bob

Yes.

Badenoch Sep 24, 17 2:25 pm


Originally Posted by BobbyC777 (Post 28851547)
Who wants to sit next to someone who is practically not even wearing a shirt?

I do if she's young and hot. Add a pair of daisy dukes and an otherwise hum drum flight is an eye candy extravaganza! :D

GadgetFreak Sep 24, 17 2:39 pm

I just re-watched “This is Spinal Tap” over the weekend. This thread will always remind me of it.

CitizenWorld Sep 24, 17 11:31 pm

I dress for comfort when flying irrespective of class of travel. Seems silly to do otherwise.

frankmu Sep 24, 17 11:41 pm


Originally Posted by GadgetFreak (Post 28853801)
I just re-watched “This is Spinal Tap” over the weekend. This thread will always remind me of it.

If there is a reboot of Spinal Tap, I’d like to see them go through Global Entry and declare the cucumber :D

ckx2 Sep 26, 17 10:28 pm


Originally Posted by Rebelyell (Post 27963027)
When I was a kid, flying meant Sunday-go-to-meeting clothes. And I still wear a suit and tie when attending church, although it is now popular to dress as if one if getting ready to change the oil in one's car.


If some really hairy guy wears a sleeveless wife-beater shirt, it grosses me out, and the thought of sitting next to such a person makes me want to vomit. So I do care what other people wear. If an airline were to have a "resort casual" dress code, I would be more likely to fly it. As for the bad smell, I do wish the airlines would just have a list of rules like they do for exit rows that remind people to take a shower, use extra-strong, unscented antiperspirant, and refrain from using cologne or perfume.

Consider private jets.

zippy the pinhead Sep 26, 17 10:46 pm

Doesn't functionality come into play? I saw this Web site and was thinking to give some of their allegedly pick-pocket proof shorts a try.

CDTraveler Sep 27, 17 1:33 am

I dress to protect myself to the maximum extent possible from TSA gropers. Long slacks, shoes with socks, a fitted top. I care less about how other pax perceive me than I do about keeping those nasty blue gloves off my skin.

Fraser Sep 27, 17 4:10 pm

A couple of weeks ago my other half took her cousin and his wife (in their early 20s) to JFK for a short domestic flight leaving at 6am. She was wearing 5" heels and he was dressed to the nines. Much to our amusement we later learned from another family member that they like to dress up because other passengers might think they are someone important or a celebrity. When we learned this we struggled to keep a straight face :D

You'll find me in a polo shirt or maybe button up shirt if I've come from the office wearing either jeans or shorts depending on the temperature. On longer flights I'll change into t-shirt and PJ bottoms once onboard, unless the airline provides them.

darthbimmer Sep 27, 17 11:15 pm


Originally Posted by Fraser (Post 28866629)
A couple of weeks ago my other half took her cousin and his wife (in their early 20s) to JFK for a short domestic flight leaving at 6am. She was wearing 5" heels and he was dressed to the nines. Much to our amusement we later learned from another family member that they like to dress up because other passengers might think they are someone important or a celebrity. When we learned this we struggled to keep a straight face :D

Your cousins' belief is humorous to me because if one pays attention to how the rich and famous actually dress in public most of the time, it's very different. They dress to the nines when they want to cause a stir. More often they want not to be stopped left, right, and center by admirers, and will dress down. But because they're wealthy, powerful, and/or fashion conscious it's not in their nature to go completely Joe-schmoe. Mastering the art of dressing half casual is how you get strangers at the club, casino, hotel, airport, etc. treating you like you might be someone important.

GadgetFreak Sep 28, 17 1:52 am


Originally Posted by darthbimmer (Post 28867748)
Your cousins' belief is humorous to me because if one pays attention to how the rich and famous actually dress in public most of the time, it's very different. They dress to the nines when they want to cause a stir. More often they want not to be stopped left, right, and center by admirers, and will dress down. But because they're wealthy, powerful, and/or fashion conscious it's not in their nature to go completely Joe-schmoe. Mastering the art of dressing half casual is how you get strangers at the club, casino, hotel, airport, etc. treating you like you might be someone important.

Yeah. I posted on another thread that I sat I front of Robert Plant on a flight from JFK to London and he was wearing jeans and a Hawaiian type shirt as I recall. I’ve run into DeNiro a couple times as well, also dressed very casually.

Artpen100 Sep 28, 17 10:28 am

I've never really paid any attention to what other people planes or see why I should care. I may have a blazer on, but that is purely because I like having lots of pockets.

Fraser Sep 28, 17 1:38 pm


Originally Posted by darthbimmer (Post 28867748)
Your cousins' belief is humorous to me

I don't get it either!

What is somewhat amusing is the cousin's wife works for a well renowned stylist here in NYC! They have quite a few A list clients so you think she'd know better if that was her goal.

slawecki Sep 28, 17 2:25 pm

wife and i were returning from abul symbol(sp). there were about 200 people lined up to get through the airport scanner. a pretty young thing in front of us set the machine off . she go back and take off shirt. then jewelry one at a time. then this and that. she got down to panties and bra, and still set the machine off. wife wanted to go next to join the fun. she was really upset when our guards walked wife outside the line and put us on the plane.

tentseller Sep 28, 17 7:47 pm


Originally Posted by Artpen100 (Post 28869546)
I've never really paid any attention to what other people planes or see why I should care. I may have a blazer on, but that is purely because I like having lots of pockets.

^^^
One can never have too many pockets while traveling

Calliopeflyer Sep 29, 17 5:03 am


Originally Posted by tentseller (Post 28871663)
^^^
One can never have too many pockets while traveling

That's why I choose cargo pants.

Stewie Mac Sep 29, 17 5:15 am


Originally Posted by slawecki (Post 28870681)
wife and i were returning from abul symbol(sp). there were about 200 people lined up to get through the airport scanner. a pretty young thing in front of us set the machine off . she go back and take off shirt. then jewelry one at a time. then this and that. she got down to panties and bra, and still set the machine off. wife wanted to go next to join the fun. she was really upset when our guards walked wife outside the line and put us on the plane.

this post in pointless without pictures!

Badenoch Sep 29, 17 5:45 am


Originally Posted by Calliopeflyer (Post 28872754)
That's why I choose cargo pants.

My choice as well. I also like safari-type shirts with larger, secured pockets for my passport.

The only thing about multiple pockets is making sure all of them are empty before going through security. :)

stormlover Sep 29, 17 10:11 am

The one thing that defines the truly wealthy and/or truly important people from the pretenders: Manners. People with manners won't be wearing wife-beaters and Daisy Dukes, but neither will they be wearing cocktail attire in FC unless they're going directly to a wedding or other function as soon as they deplane (which is highly unlikely).

Regardless of what they're wearing, their attitudes, manners, and breeding will always come through because that's how they were raised. As was referenced earlier in this thread, I've found that if I treat FAs and GAs like human beings and am warm and friendly with them, 9 times out of 10 they will respond in kind.

It's really not that hard to do and I don't have to give up my personal comfort so I can 'dress to impress' my fellow passengers who I will never see again in my life.

KDS777 Oct 1, 17 2:57 pm

On international J flights it's Dockers style cargo pants, suede slip ons from Sergio's boutique in Rio, matching belt, and a classy button down collar shirt. Comfortable and presentable.

In J or economy flown in country it's jeans and whatever shirt I want to wear that day, and this can include t-shirts, weather permitting. Not the shredded torn style, but good jeans and designer t-shirts.

I hope for the sake of our children people show up for Elon or Branson's space fights in suits and ties, so we can wax poetically about how glamorous space travel used to be in the good old days, before they start cryogenically freezing, shrink wrapping and stacking us like sausages to improve yield.

aquamarinesteph Oct 4, 17 12:30 am

The first time we flew in first class, I actually tried to look up online if there was a dress code for flying there. I was quite willing to follow any required dress code. Once I learned that there was not one, I went for comfort. That doesn't mean I was flying in pajamas, but I went with the comfortable pair of jeans and a loose fitting top that doesn't show anything when I have to bend over and grab my luggage to put it into the overhead rack.

I dress in neat, clean, but comfortable (for me) clothing. The longer the flight, the more I care about my comfort level.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:37 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.