Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What unusual things have you seen at airports?

Old Feb 5, 17, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS DL

Some of what I've seen are not that unusual. They include:

1. water cannon salute for a jet airliner
2. inaugural flight (2 of them) along with a band playing at the gate
3. Concorde at the next gate from my flight
4. Been aboard a 747SP and a 737-200QC
5. seen the police wait at the gate for a passenger to deplane then arrest the passenger
6. boarded the wrong flight that was at the adjacent gate but got off in time.
7. had the plane re-open the door for me.
8. had the jetway door remain open so I entered and then the gate agent yelled to stop as she was about to retract the jetway. They opened the plane's door for me.
9. flew from Newark to JFK. Plane diverted to EWR.
10. stupidly accepting luggage from a stranger (another passenger) to check on to a flight. That was several decades ago and the flight was to a small island.
Old Feb 5, 17, 4:57 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Toshbaf View Post
SO THAT'S WHY they are always asking if everyone is on the correct flight.

My list is relatively short

1. Police officers training K-9 units and, amongst other things, placing some sort of baits into the carry-ons of actual passengers, that the dog had to find.
2. A Russian crew (PIC, FO & FE) going through passenger security. Security finds a pocket knife. Security personnel: "You have knife. Knife forbidden." Russian co-pilot: "Only small knife" Security personnel:"Next time you leave small knife at home". And that's how you get a knife through security (Disclaimer: It was so tiny, that it was probably allowed anyway)
3. The same crew coming out the duty free with 2 shopping bags (each) full of Vodka bottles. They left in a Antonov 12 about 30 minutes later.
Old Feb 5, 17, 10:54 pm

Totally off topic: I once boarded the wrong train in Hungary because two trains were scheduled for the same departure time from the same platform, headed in opposite directions. I didn't realize it until about an hour into the journey.

Back on topic: there's a really interesting aviation museum in the Yakutsk airport. Also, I happened to watch the early-morning synchronized stretching routine done by the shop personnel at ICN in 1999. Not "unusual" as it must have happened daily, but it was a surprise to me.

Seth
Old Feb 6, 17, 8:36 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Moog Synthesizer number 1 was on display in a concourse at DTW for years. I haven't been there for a long time, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's still there. (I learned the basics of synthesizer operation on Moog #2, but that's another story. )
Old Feb 6, 17, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold - ooooh!
1. EMTs deplaning a passenger on a stretcher/gurney at MSY. Said passenger had been hit in the head by luggage that fell out of the overhead compartment. (That's why the FAs tell you to use caution when opening the bins!)

2. SPAM for sale as a gourmet food item at ICN.

3. Mrs. Claus handing out candy canes at BOS on Christmas Eve (guess her husband was already on the fly so she decided not to stay home alone).

4. Party for children (like Make-A-Wish?) at ORD one December.

5. A friend of mine getting off the plane I was waiting to board at IAH. I was connecting there; he was returning home.

Unusual for what we DIDN'T see - other passengers! - when departing PVG in 2000 (only 2 flights going out; the terminal was vast and vacant) and arriving MDL in 2005.

Last edited by Kamalaasaa; Feb 6, 17 at 3:17 pm Reason: Add story
Old Feb 6, 17, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
stupidly accepting luggage from a stranger (another passenger) to check on to a flight. That was several decades ago and the flight was to a small island.
Reminds me of this NYT piece on a physics professor at my university who agreed to check a (seemingly empty) suitcase in the pursuit of online romance
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/10/ma...anted=all&_r=0

Here's the meat of the story (or, spoiler alert):
[...] he checked two bags, his and hers, and went to the gate. Soon he heard his name called over the loudspeaker. He thought it must be for an upgrade to first class, but when he arrived at the airline counter, he was greeted by several policemen. Asked to identify his luggage — “That’s my bag,” he said, “the other one’s not my bag, but I checked it in” — he waited while the police tested the contents of a package found in the “Milani” suitcase. Within hours, he was under arrest.
Old Feb 6, 17, 4:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LTPP, HH Diamond
1. Inaugural flight day. I don't think I was on the *first* flight, but I flew DCA-LGA on AA on the first day they were operating the route with American Eagle RJs. They were competing with the larger shuttle planes (DL, I think) and offering something like 6x miles to do it. There was cake and punch and plenty of AA employees milling around the gate.

2. Another weird AA service: the all-F service out of DAL to ORD and LGA in around 2000, all priced at their standard DFW coach fares. The gate had free magazines and newspapers. Full meals and free drinks onboard. It was designed to kill off some startup airline. It succeeded, and the DAL flights soon went away.

3. An inflight diversion to Durango, CO to offload a guy who decided to smoke in the lav. (MCI-ABQ flight.)

4. At least three or four times: randomly running into an old acquaintance at ORD during a flight connection or trip to Chicago. I don't run into friends at other airports: just ORD. No explanation why: none of the friends have any real connection to Chicago.

5. A brief period in time when US Airways agents welcomed passengers on behalf of Star Alliance and American Airlines. (The unsaid piece: Skyteam still hates you and will strand you in Atlanta on Christmas night, just like back in '05.)

6. An intentional "job action" by the United ground staff at ORD in December 2000 that caused our ORD-LAN flight to cancel. The GA then refused to rebook anyone, and scowled "rebook yourself on Avis" at everyone. I did, and personally boycotted United for 5 years, walking away from 1K status in the process. In '06, I got a Denver assignment and figured I was only punishing myself if I didn't go back to United. I did, and had generally positive experiences with them as a 1K in the late 00's.
Old Feb 6, 17, 5:00 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks

Programs: Metro-North Rubbish, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Kopaja Platinum
-Fish tanks in the restrooms at CGK (this was a few years ago)
-Name:  DSC06527.JPG
Views: 903
Size:  578.7 KB A UN flight on FIDS from IST to Georgia, Country of
-The signs saying that ablution in the restrooms is prohibited (all while someone's foot is in the sink)
-This store, at SWA (Shantou, China)

Hmm, this response was awfully monochromatic. Better think of more things to add later...
Old Feb 6, 17, 5:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Platinum, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, US Gold
Honor flights or WWII vets landing at BWI to visit DC. That's a pretty cool event.

Also had some honor guards accompanying fallen soldiers on flights. That's very moving. The pilots have announced what was going on and why they are there.

On a lighter note, I have seen some seriously drunk people trying to check in and board a flight from Cancun-just today. It was VERY funny. They finally got their acts together.
Old Feb 6, 17, 6:06 pm

. Jeff Goldblum.

...On a somewhat more serious note, I've seen people seating on the floor of the customs area to eat delicacies bought abroad that were denied entrance to the country, rather than hand them to be destroyed by the sanitary agents.
​​​​​
Old Feb 6, 17, 7:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Platinum, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, US Gold
Originally Posted by savonarola View Post
. Jeff Goldblum.

...On a somewhat more serious note, I've seen people seating on the floor of the customs area to eat delicacies bought abroad that were denied entrance to the country, rather than hand them to be destroyed by the sanitary agents.
​​​​​
My mother in law was recently "attacked" by a customs beagle for bringing fruit back from Cabo. She got away with the "Im old and didn't understand" excuse. I was rooting for a fine.
Old Feb 6, 17, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA Gold - ooooh!
Some of what I've seen are not that unusual. They include:

1. water cannon salute for a jet airliner
2. inaugural flight (2 of them) along with a band playing at the gate

Originally Posted by pinniped View Post
1. Inaugural flight day. ... There was cake and punch
Hmm. I was on Pegasus's inaugural flight SAW-TIA in 2013. We had a water cannon salute when we arrived at TIA, but no bands, no punch and cake - in fact no acknowledgement that it was a special flight at all (other than the water cannons) at either SAW or TIA!
Old Feb 6, 17, 10:34 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
...a guy with Aflac duck
Old Feb 7, 17, 6:27 am

Last week at JFK term 8, an older woman attempting to figure out how to go down the up escalator. She was tepidly stepping on and then back off. The gentleman in front of me directed her to the proper escalator. I don't believe this was a cognition problem, rather I think this was the first time in this woman's 60-70 years that she had seen an escalator.

Also, as someone mentioned, the honor flights to DCA are pretty cool.
Old Feb 7, 17, 6:57 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker View Post
My mother in law was recently "attacked" by a customs beagle for bringing fruit back from Cabo. She got away with the "Im old and didn't understand" excuse. I was rooting for a fine.

I guess I don't have anything too exciting. Back in the late 80s I saw WWF wrestling star King Kong Bundy at CMH...eating an ice cream cone.

A few years ago at my home airport (DAY) I saw a mouse scurrying around a vending machine area. (Like I said - nothing very exciting!)

Search this Thread