FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   You know you're a spoiled flyer when... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1818441-you-know-youre-spoiled-flyer-when.html)

matrixwalker2012 Jan 29, 2017 12:42 am

You know you're a spoiled flyer when...

since many of us here are quite fortunate that we get to routinely fly in premium cabins or at least get elite benefits, I was wondering, how many ways have we become so spoiled in our travels that situations that we come across more often end up being about are very minor things in the grand scheme of things?

For me, I'm thinking:
...when my biggest complaint is that my in flight steak dinner was overcooked

...when I could only access the Business class lounge instead of the first class lounge

...when I have to share the aisle with my neighbor when I fly in United's business class

Anyone of you ever step back and realize how fortunate we are in our travel experiences?

lhrsfo Jan 29, 2017 1:52 am

I realise this when I don't dare admit to friends that I am often in Business class, or I have simply to smile sweetly when asked how I cope with all the travel.

Reds2011 Jan 29, 2017 4:46 am

I'm going through this with my 8yo daughter. We have been overseas since she was about 4, so her main flight experiences have been long haul business class. I realised I was in trouble recently on a 6 hour economy flight, when she first asked where the lounge was after clearing immigration, and then was shocked when we turned right on boarding the plane!

I got the 3rd degree interrogation after we sat down as to exactly why we weren't up front!!

Gringa Jan 29, 2017 8:36 am

I got so annoyed that they only had large/XL pajamas and didn't have small/mediums on a flight to Paris until I checked myself and mentally slapped myself. Talk about a first world problem!

Jasper2009 Jan 29, 2017 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Reds2011 (Post 27833484)
I'm going through this with my 8yo daughter. We have been overseas since she was about 4, so her main flight experiences have been long haul business class. I realised I was in trouble recently on a 6 hour economy flight, when she first asked where the lounge was after clearing immigration, and then was shocked when we turned right on boarding the plane!

I got the 3rd degree interrogation after we sat down as to exactly why we weren't up front!!

:D

Here's an idea: Kids will only be allowed to fly upfront once they've done at least 50 longhaul flights in Y.

rickg523 Jan 29, 2017 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009 (Post 27834590)
:D

Here's an idea: Kids will only be allowed to fly upfront once they've done at least 50 longhaul flights in Y.

Not a bad rule for adults as well:D

davie355 Jan 29, 2017 11:04 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo (Post 27833169)
I realise this when I don't dare admit to friends that I am often in Business class, or I have simply to smile sweetly when asked how I cope with all the travel.

I would ask that question even to a private jet flyer.

Travel is inherently stressful.

WorldLux Jan 29, 2017 11:24 am

When I sit in Euro Business class and have to deal with that appalling seat pitch.

darthbimmer Jan 29, 2017 11:25 am

Being spoiled is about losing perspective-- or never having had it in the first place. Those are matters of character as much as circumstance. When I transitioned from top-tier elite status, with its frequent premium cabin upgrades, down to mid-tier status which means flying in coach 90+% of the time, I was not shocked by the change. I prefer premium class travel, of course. I just never lost perspective on what it means.

txflyer77 Jan 29, 2017 12:05 pm

I dread the day I have to fly my first TPAC in Y. I've flown 9 RT TPACs, always managed to fly in a premium cabin.

The_Bouncer Jan 29, 2017 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by darthbimmer (Post 27834729)
Being spoiled is about losing perspective-- or never having had it in the first place. Those are matters of character as much as circumstance. When I transitioned from top-tier elite status, with its frequent premium cabin upgrades, down to mid-tier status which means flying in coach 90+% of the time, I was not shocked by the change. I prefer premium class travel, of course. I just never lost perspective on what it means.

Well put. I would say you're spoiled if you're unable to handle moving down a grade from what you're used to.

I travelled in long-haul business class a fair bit, when I was in that kind of job (and when someone else was paying for it). But now I'm semi-retired and paying for my own travel, I'm down the back every time, and I really don't mind it.

Yes, business class is easier to handle, but there's no way on earth I'm forking out my own cash (or even my own miles) for it.

DeepUnderground Jan 29, 2017 1:37 pm

When my kid asked me where the TV was and how to make the seat lay flat on Southwest Airlines on a visit to the USA.

Annalisa12 Jan 29, 2017 7:42 pm

I am spoilt. Just a few to start,

i can't do SYD to Fiji in economy for 3 hours.

A $3500 business airfare is cheap.

I don't like staying in the lowest room category and want a suite.

i don't like touring with other people. If i need a guide i get a personal one.

​​​​​​​I really am throwing way too much money away.

Originally Posted by DeepUnderground (Post 27835270)
When my kid asked me where the TV was and how to make the seat lay flat on Southwest Airlines on a visit to the USA.

​​​​​​​lol

ptownca Jan 29, 2017 7:57 pm

When you board the plane and the FA's know you by name :D

matrixwalker2012 Jan 29, 2017 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by txflyer77 (Post 27834892)
I dread the day I have to fly my first TPAC in Y. I've flown 9 RT TPACs, always managed to fly in a premium cabin.

oh boy, next month, I've got LAX-HKG-SIN and back coming up in not First, not Business, but Premium Economy on CX :eek::eek::eek:

Last time I didn't fly First or Business TPAC was in 2001. I guess looking back, I've been way too spoiled getting to cross the Pacific consistently with my body in a 180 degree flat position :D

At least I still get business class amenities at the airport from my OW Sapphire status :D:D:D

I can't even fathom flying that far in plain economy as a non-status flyer!