You know you're a spoiled flyer when...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

You know you're a spoiled flyer when...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2017, 3:58 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
When you've paid a grand total of 3 checked bag fees since they were introduced about 10 years ago.
Saying I'm at zero I must be REALLY spoiled
Old Mar 14, 2017, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I've never paid either.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I think about the cost differences of flying upper class in a similar way, though instead of thinking about cash amounts-- which can seem kind of abstract-- I pose the tradeoff in terms of trips. For example, I could either take this trip in Business class; or, with the $2000 I save taking this trip in Coach, pay for flight & lodging for a second trip that otherwise wouldn't be within my budget. So far, "take a second trip" has usually won for me.
I'm chronically ill, in chronic pain, and disabled. Flying at the back for a four hour flight means a week or so of recovering from the flight while I wait for my pain levels to go back down to my normal. An eight hour or longer flight puts my recovery time in a couple of weeks, occasionally longer. Premium economy is marginally better. During that recovery time, I'm in too much pain to go pretty much anywhere except to go for food. Business class, however, means that my recovery time for long flights takes a day or two of fairly mild recovery.

We don't always fly business class - it's expensive. I wish we could. It's so much easier on me when we do.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I've never paid either.
Me either! Maximum weight of cases I travelled with (2 of us) was 124 kilograms!
Old Mar 15, 2017, 12:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Me either! Maximum weight of cases I travelled with (2 of us) was 124 kilograms!
Were you moving house?
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 5:57 pm

Nope nope nope nope nope

Originally Posted by Jasper2009

Here's an idea: Kids will only be allowed to fly upfront once they've done at least 50 longhaul flights in Y.
I’m 16 and frequently fly first class and can say that kids should reach a certain age before they always fly first class, but once old enough to understand it’s a privilege and not a right I say go First Class all you want
Old May 3, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
My 9 year old granddaughter (who has been to Cabo twice with us year) has well stamped passport. On the second trip, she lamented flying home on WN-though she does like that airline. "Pop Pop, can't we fly on American? They have first class.:" (It sounds obnoxious, but it was said in a very cute way.) I refunded the RR points and we flew on AA. They had a better deal actually than the hefty RR points I was paying.
Old May 3, 2019, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
My 9 year old granddaughter (who has been to Cabo twice with us year) has well stamped passport. On the second trip, she lamented flying home on WN-though she does like that airline. "Pop Pop, can't we fly on American? They have first class.:" (It sounds obnoxious, but it was said in a very cute way.) I refunded the RR points and we flew on AA. They had a better deal actually than the hefty RR points I was paying.
I have a similarly cute one at home, who is not looking forward to 23 hours of flying coach to Asia later this month. If they have good entertainment system, she is somewhat mollified.
Mr. Vker likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by WhatTheMiguel
When you are disappointed in the quality of the amenity kit even though you are not going to keep it or use anything in it.

I've 3 or 4 unused KLM ammenity kits, my wife now has them at home for keeping jewllery in. Though I think she hasn't got round to using them for that yet, and they are still all complete.

They do make for a cheap gift for the wife
Old May 4, 2019, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
I have no idea why I take amenity kits. It's a compulsion. I took to depositing them unopened into a large box at home. A few years ago, I went through the box and contributed a bunch of toothbrushes, etc. to a homeless shelter and threw out the socks, earplugs, etc. I know better, but I continue to take them. On recent flight I was disturbed that I didn't get one. Why?
Old May 5, 2019, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by WorldLux
I would however disagree that everyone who is flying is spoiled. I know lots of folks that haven't seen a lie-flat seat in their whole life and will probably never see one.

And by the looks I sometimes get by people passing through the C cabin to Y, there are a lot of them.
To be fair, being able to fly more than a handful of times already puts someone in a relatively small subsection of the human race so it's all relative.
The vast majority of flyers will never travel anything better than economy on a place, likely a majority of people who have flown WTP/Business/First do so once or twice as "once in a lifetime experiences". People who fly premium regularly are a very small part of the population. I've done 6 business flights out of around 50 in my life, and I'm from the developed western world in a two decent income household with no kids, and I don't mention that in normal conversation because even that is something that most people couldn't afford to do.

When I look back at the first times I flew, the first times I used a lounge, the first time I flew premium I can see how expectations have changed; though I think in my case my general impatience means that now the novelty of flying is past I find the whole process to be irritatingly slow regardless of the perks of premium classes.
Old May 5, 2019, 9:09 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by N1AK
To be fair, being able to fly more than a handful of times already puts someone in a relatively small subsection of the human race so it's all relative.
The vast majority of flyers will never travel anything better than economy on a place, likely a majority of people who have flown WTP/Business/First do so once or twice as "once in a lifetime experiences". People who fly premium regularly are a very small part of the population. I've done 6 business flights out of around 50 in my life, and I'm from the developed western world in a two decent income household with no kids, and I don't mention that in normal conversation because even that is something that most people couldn't afford to do.
A couple of points--

1) Certain flights exist mostly to transport guest workers between a rock and hard place.

2) I've had better flights in Y than in J/F...for me, it all has boiled down to how well-behaved the other passengers/crew are. Worse yet are airlines that allow in-flight calls. GROSS.
N1AK likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 6:04 am

Programs: QF Gold
When you need to stand in a line :-/

I'm used to just gliding through, yet sometimes there isn't an option and those 10/15 mins feel like an eternity.
Old May 6, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero

I have a similarly cute one at home, who is not looking forward to 23 hours of flying coach to Asia later this month. If they have good entertainment system, she is somewhat mollified.
I didn't take my first real international trip until I was 30. (And that was to Aruba) I am so happy to be able to show our grand kids the world. Its an education you just cannot get in school.
Old May 8, 2019, 12:27 am

Programs: Flying Blue
When I was really young (7 or 8), I once cried because I was not able to sleep properly in economy class for a long flight from Jakarta, Indonesia to Aberdeen Scotland. For long flights like this, we always take business class. But for this particular flight, we were not able to fly business. My father never fails to bring this story up whenever he can. I didn't realize for fortunate I was to be able to fly business class since a young age.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.