Reload this Page >

Travel Expenses: Dumb Things your Company has Done

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Expenses: Dumb Things your Company has Done

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:46 pm

Hey, I don't love it, but I don't own the company. The guy who put the card on the table does though. I like my job and they treat me well so if they are in Vegas with a client based in Vegas and that's where it ends up... well..
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero

So, if you took a female client to a VIP package of Thunder Down Under, that’s misogynistic too?
Misandristic
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero

So, if you took a female client to a VIP package of Thunder Down Under, that’s misogynistic too?
Not misogynistic (since that is hatred of women) but stupid and disrespectful. I don't like objectification of naked/semi-naked people, period. Hey, I love sex, but it doesn't belong in a work environment
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
A per diem for lodging makes no sense. How hard is it to process one receipt for one stay, whether it's one night or multiple nights? It's one piece of paper. The admin overhead can't be anywhere near the cost of a hotel. Meals are a completely different thing, with three a day, and small amounts.
Hotel rates are way too variable for a per diem and the end result would be trips dictated by low occupancy vs. business need.

With that said, when I worked for a different employer they basically said on-site is $2500 for 1-4 days per week, flat rate. But I've never seen the person paying for a hotel get flat rate reimbursement.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Redhead
I cannot believe (well yes i can but I'm still sickened by it) that companies are entertaining clients at strip clubs. I work in sales for a Fortune 50 company. You'd be very strongly warned (and not reimbursed) and fired for multiple offences for taking anyone to a strip club. It is so damn misogynistic.
What is more likely is if you made the sale not only would you be reimbursed you'd be congratulated, promoted and bonused.

A mine equipment dealer I know sealed a multi-million dollar deal by taking his client to an Eastern European sex club. His management had no problem paying the tab.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
A per diem for lodging makes no sense. How hard is it to process one receipt for one stay, whether it's one night or multiple nights? It's one piece of paper. The admin overhead can't be anywhere near the cost of a hotel. Meals are a completely different thing, with three a day, and small amounts.
At least for US taxpayers, it is not permissible. Housing may be reimbursed at cost. Food (and incidentals) may be reimbursed on a per diem basis.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by MissJ
I had to LOL at this one. $6K on the company AmEx there earlier this year. One of our biggest clients was there so... what can you do.
I don't like places like this. I make it clear to leave me alone, I'm simply here to pay the bill when the client is ready to close out.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Badenoch
What is more likely is if you made the sale not only would you be reimbursed you'd be congratulated, promoted and bonused.

A mine equipment dealer I know sealed a multi-million dollar deal by taking his client to an Eastern European sex club. His management had no problem paying the tab.
I believe this happens a lot. With that said, I would never work somewhere that would allow it.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by bergamini
I believe this happens a lot. With that said, I would never work somewhere that would allow it.
Sadly this is the dark side of sales. I'm open and honest with my wife, and she knows I would never do anything to jeopardize our marriage. Every trip to Vegas requires a visit, and hopefully someday I can get a do not touch badge or something. It's a running joke at least for her and I, after 15 years of marriage.

Sorry I distracted everyone from the main point of this thread. It's not important or relevant.

In my perfect world both clients and coworkers would be a little easier to spend time with, without the BS.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It seems clear that the discussion here has to do with reimbursing expenses for basic employee sustenance, e.g. hotel, food, and other assorted incidentals. The question of entertaining clients is a different matter and has nothing to do with the sustenance issue.
Mwenenzi and COSPILOT like this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
It seems clear that the discussion here has to do with reimbursing expenses for basic employee sustenance, e.g. hotel, food, and other assorted incidentals. The question of entertaining clients is a different matter and has nothing to do with the sustenance issue.
I feel guilty for the distraction, my apologies.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
I'm thankful my current job doesnt have any travel requirement so I can be 100% leasure but one thing that bugged me in previous jobs was this whole rigid rule of no reimbursement without a recept.

I understand the logic behind a rule like that so employees dont try to pull a fast one and pocket expenses that did not happen but when an employee submits their flight, hotel, meals, and claims they decided to just ride public transit from the airport to the hotel rather than rent a car or take a cab it is doubtful they are trying to scam a couple of dollars, especially if they are not submitting any recepts for ground transportation common sense should say to just reimburse the couple bucks of transit fare the employee is claiming.

It was Super shuttle or a cab after that for me, and to think I thought I was doing good, saving on travel costs.
Loren Pechtel and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dadaluma83
I'm thankful my current job doesn't have any travel requirement so I can be 100% leasure but one thing that bugged me in previous jobs was this whole rigid rule of no reimbursement without a receipt.

I understand the logic behind a rule like that so employees don't try to pull a fast one and pocket expenses that did not happen... <snip>
Yeah, I had that with one employer. Cash tips- for the hotel staff, for example, road tolls (back before EZPass).. if you didn't have a piece of paper it didn't happen even when, as you noted, sometimes the facts show that you very likely spent it to get from Point A to Point B. Makes you feel not quite trusted.
Loren Pechtel and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
The title of the thread is "Travel Expenses: Dumb Things your Company has Done". I would argue that paying for strip clubs on expense report is a really dumb thing to do for a company, from many angles including liability for a pattern of gender inequality. So it seems perfectly in line with the thread title to me. The thread doesn't say anything about "sustenance". Maybe you could start that one? Don't be the member who discourages polite discussion.
Redhead, wrp96 and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 4:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by bergamini
The title of the thread is "Travel Expenses: Dumb Things your Company has Done". I would argue that paying for strip clubs on expense report is a really dumb thing to do for a company, from many angles including liability for a pattern of gender inequality. So it seems perfectly in line with the thread title to me. The thread doesn't say anything about "sustenance". Maybe you could start that one? Don't be the member who discourages polite discussion.
Here's a brief quiz:

You are a middle manager in a competitive industry. You approved significant travel expenses for two salesmen. Both have just returned from an overseas trip.

Salesmen #1 says, "Yeah boss, I lost the contract. We were just about to sign until he suggested going to a strip club to celebrate and I told him it was "dumb" and sternly lectured him on gender equality!"

Salesmen #2 says, "Hey boss, here's the contract signed and sealed. Oh yeah, we need to cover a five hundred dollar bill from the Million Dollar Boom Boom Room."

Which one would you fire? Which one would you bonus?

What do you think your biggest competitor would do?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.