Reload this Page >

Travel Expenses: Dumb Things your Company has Done

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Expenses: Dumb Things your Company has Done

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
What are folks' thoughts on someone who routinely stays in hotels that offer free breakfast, then expense breakfast elsewhere every day?
Should travel policies address this?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by tonyrocks922
What are folks' thoughts on someone who routinely stays in hotels that offer free breakfast, then expense breakfast elsewhere every day?
Here's the problem with "travel policies addressing this": I just returned from a weeklong meeting in Atlanta, where I stayed at my company's "preferred hotel" - a Doubletree. Not only was the breakfast offering exactly the same every. single. day... it was exactly the same offering that they had last April when I had to stay for 2 weeks during a training event.

The food isn't terrible, but it is textbook "free breakfast buffet" - powdered eggs, potatoes, french toast "sticks", bacon, sausage, some fruit, and a few stale pastries. Mixing it up sometimes with food from somewhere else shouldn't be a crime.

In my case, our travel policy allows up to $x.xx per day for meals. If I forego the free breakfast, I am reducing my lunch and dinner options. But sometimes it's worth it.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:59 pm

The U.S. federal government does, sorta. Food is a flat per diem based on the location. If Uncle Sam is paying for your food separately (e.g. a conference whose registration fee includes lunch), you have to deduct it. If the hotel provides it free, you don't. One can save a lot of money for other uses by having free breakfast and a kitchen--Residence Inns aren't popular with civil servants just because we like the stripey carpet or the weirdly textured wine glasses.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
My previous employer’s travel policy specifically said that when staying at a hotel that includes breakfast, we were not permitted to expense breakfast or collect the per-diem for it. I’m thinking that was an anomaly as my current employer’s policy doesn’t mention this sort of situation.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:47 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by strickerj
My previous employer’s travel policy specifically said that when staying at a hotel that includes breakfast, we were not permitted to expense breakfast or collect the per-diem for it. I’m thinking that was an anomaly as my current employer’s policy doesn’t mention this sort of situation.
None of the companies I've traveled for have had a written policy about expensing breakfast when staying at a hotel that provides breakfast as part of the basic room rate. I've worked mostly for smaller companies, though. That may be more of a big-company policy.

The one place I have seen a related policy articulated at smaller companies involves events they're organizing. When meals are provided at company cost and scheduled as part of the agenda, employees have been told that claims for meal expenses during that time period will not be reimbursed.

I've gotten exceptions from such policies a few times, though. Qwkynuf's point up-thread that sometimes the complimentary hotel breakfasts are poor quality or not suitable applies to convention meals and catering, too. At two conferences last autumn I got sick of the lukewarm and tasteless lunches provided for attendees and went outside the show floor for lunch a few times. At a department offsite I opted out of the "microbrews and food trucks in a party atmosphere" team dinner because I was feeling slightly ill and ate comfort food instead at a quiet restaurant while finishing a proposal for a client.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
None of the companies I've traveled for have had a written policy about expensing breakfast when staying at a hotel that provides breakfast as part of the basic room rate. I've worked mostly for smaller companies, though. That may be more of a big-company policy.

The one place I have seen a related policy articulated at smaller companies involves events they're organizing. When meals are provided at company cost and scheduled as part of the agenda, employees have been told that claims for meal expenses during that time period will not be reimbursed.

I've gotten exceptions from such policies a few times, though. Qwkynuf's point up-thread that sometimes the complimentary hotel breakfasts are poor quality or not suitable applies to convention meals and catering, too. At two conferences last autumn I got sick of the lukewarm and tasteless lunches provided for attendees and went outside the show floor for lunch a few times. At a department offsite I opted out of the "microbrews and food trucks in a party atmosphere" team dinner because I was feeling slightly ill and ate comfort food instead at a quiet restaurant while finishing a proposal for a client.
Your comment on convention meals and catering reminds me that "We'll bring in lunch" is often corporate-speak for "I hope you like sh!t pizza and soda out of 2 liter bottles, with no ice". It's also a synonym for "working lunch".
Loren Pechtel and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
What are folks' thoughts on someone who routinely stays in hotels that offer free breakfast, then expense breakfast elsewhere every day? Should travel policies address this?
I suppose a policy would be necessary if people need to have it spelled out to them to that degree. Hotel breakfasts are rarely haute cuisine but I've yet to see one where a diner couldn't find acceptable sustenance. If those with refined tastes can't tolerate anything less than artisanal sausage, organic bread and free-range eggs benedict they should pay for it themselves.

If breakfast is included in my room I wouldn't submit an expense for one eaten elsewhere. I wouldn't approve such an expense unless it was a client meeting or there were other extenuating circumstances beyond someone being a fussy eater.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:27 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by Badenoch
I suppose a policy would be necessary if people need to have it spelled out to them to that degree. Hotel breakfasts are rarely haute cuisine but I've yet to see one where a diner couldn't find acceptable sustenance. If those with refined tastes can't tolerate anything less than artisanal sausage, organic bread and free-range eggs benedict they should pay for it themselves.

If breakfast is included in my room I wouldn't submit an expense for one eaten elsewhere. I wouldn't approve such an expense unless it was a client meeting or there were other extenuating circumstances beyond someone being a fussy eater.
I'd wholeheartedly disagree with that. Free hotel breakfasts are usually devoid of any culinary value - powdered egg, lukewarm greasy bacon, long-life bread, flavourless fruit, and cereal with UHT milk. Having it once or twice in a week is tolerable but beyond that it actually starts making me feel ill. Imagine if your employer replaced your entire per diem with McDonalds vouchers and then refused to pay for you to eat anywhere else. Unacceptable.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:27 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Badenoch
I don't have refined tastes and don't eat haute cuisine. But after 21 days straight at a Springhill Suites 2 years ago, I was ready for a different breakfast and went out after that and expensed it without hesitation. And if they wanted to deny my expense report they could find someone else to go to Jackson, MS, for weeks straight to do intense coding and was willing to eat the same breakfast every day.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
For US taxpayers, using a simple per diem system makes a great deal of sense. Not only does it give the employee discretion in how and when they eat, but it cuts out lots of bean counting which in and of itself costs the employer money. As to the specifics, rather than worrying about whether the eggs at some property are too runny, worry more about performance and motivating people to do better, Unless the company is spending its last cash on hand, an extra egg won't break the bank. But, a poor worker may do a lot of harm.

All of this presumes an employee who is being fed to sustain him rather than an employee who is entertaining clients, prospects and others. This is where it can go off the rails.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by roberino
I'd wholeheartedly disagree with that. Free hotel breakfasts are usually devoid of any culinary value - powdered egg, lukewarm greasy bacon, long-life bread, flavourless fruit, and cereal with UHT milk. Having it once or twice in a week is tolerable but beyond that it actually starts making me feel ill. Imagine if your employer replaced your entire per diem with McDonalds vouchers and then refused to pay for you to eat anywhere else. Unacceptable.
I don't travel up there any longer, but I used to spend a lot of time in St. Paul. One hotel in the middle of a string of business hotels had it figured out. They were wildly popular for offering free evening drinks rather than a free breakfast. Many travelers can expense meals, but not alcohol. Brilliant.

And I agree about many hotel breakfasts being bad. They're OK when you reach mid-level, but OMG when you're down to bacon slices you can read your newspaper through and min-bagels that are still half frozen, you've hit bottom.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: United 1K
Depends on the hotel. I try to avoid staying at the really ...... hotels. I travel a lot internationally (or I used to) and I'm usually pretty happy with the free breakfast. Most European hotels have freshly baked bread, good butter, fresh eggs made to order, good coffee/espresso, a selection of cold cuts and cheeses, smoked salmon.

I've taken pictures of the really impressive breakfast spreads. Let me see if I can dig up a photo.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by dangerhsun
Depends on the hotel. I try to avoid staying at the really ...... hotels. I travel a lot internationally (or I used to) and I'm usually pretty happy with the free breakfast. Most European hotels have freshly baked bread, good butter, fresh eggs made to order, good coffee/espresso, a selection of cold cuts and cheeses, smoked salmon.

I've taken pictures of the really impressive breakfast spreads. Let me see if I can dig up a photo.
Yeah, Europe is usually better than the US in that respect. Even a bad hotel typically has a selection of cheeses and sliced meat with fresh bread. 10 days at a Hyatt Place in the Midwest nearly killed me though.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Yeah, Europe is usually better than the US in that respect. Even a bad hotel typically has a selection of cheeses and sliced meat with fresh bread. 10 days at a Hyatt Place in the Midwest nearly killed me though.
I've long-stayed in similar hotels too and the breakfast does get boring. When I wanted a change I paid for it myself and didn't expect my employer to provide an additional meal to the one that was being offered as part of my room. Even the worst hotel buffets have a selection of cereals, milk, toast, butter and jam that are usually adequate.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:49 pm

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by dangerhsun

The first two photos are from a hotel in France - probably more of a boutique place but to be honest, most Novotels aren't that different.

This last one was from a place in Germany. Don't remember what but for sure a big chain. I've seen raw honeycomb at a few hotels in Europe and I always think it's super cool.

ajGoes likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.