Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Can I book a trip but board at one of the connecting airports?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:19 am
Original Poster

I'm trying to burn some miles and noticed that I go from Sacramento to Rome faster (17 hours vs 20), on a better airline (Lufthansa vs Turkish Air), and with a better arrival time (5pm instead of midnight) for the same amount of miles as flying from SFO to Rome. The only difference is that SMF stops in SFO before continuing. Considering I live exactly between SMF and SFO, could I just show up at SFO and board the connecting flight instead of having to start at SMF? Note the next stop after SFO is international.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
No. If you don't show up at SMF your reservation will be canceled.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:23 am
Original Poster

OK Thank you.

What about coming home? Would I be able to leave SFO after arriving from an international destination? My understanding is I have to go through customs either way. Could I skip the flight back to SMF and just go home? For the miles booking, there is an 11 hour connection delay between arriving at SFO and departing to SMF. Doesn't matter to me if I can simply walk out the airport at that time and go home.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold, SPG Plat, HH Gold
If you're booking with miles you should be able to remove the domestic legs without changing the price of the ticket.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Going home, yes, you can just get off at SFO. Outbound you cannot.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by skylane
If you're booking with miles you should be able to remove the domestic legs without changing the price of the ticket.
just because SMF-SFO-XXX-FCO is available at LOW or SAVER award level doesn't mean that SFO-XXX-FCO is also

it's called "married segment" logic, and virtually all airlines use it in pricing both revenue and award tix
Old Jan 19, 2017, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by 195
... Could I skip the flight back to SMF and just go home? ...
In general, there are two issues with this:

1. You can't have checked bags. However, that doesn't apply when you enter the U.S. because you have to pick them up and clear customs anyhow. You just "forget" to put them on the re-check belt as you walk out.

2. In case anything goes wrong with your original flight, the airline is within its rights to rebook you on any other flights that get you to SMF. Since there aren't any direct FCO-SMF flights, you'd have to connect somewhere. Odds are this would be SFO. In the unlikely event that this happens, and they suggest a routing to SMF via LAX or somewhere else, you're allowed to discuss things with them and see if they have something better (for you). To deal with this eventuality, you might want to have a list of alternate flights in your pocket. In your situation, worst case is they send you to SMF via East Overshoe and you're still OK. In other situations, not connecting through the right intermediate city can be a bigger concern.

Last edited by Efrem; Jan 19, 2017 at 7:44 pm Reason: To avoid offending Badgers.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 4:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I might put the itin on hold and then call web support and see if you can get it ticketed as SFO-FCO-SFO.

You *might* get the married-segment response. Or you might get the "our website is screwed up...let me fix it" response.

(I'm assuming we're talking United here, based in SF and involving two Star Alliance options...)

I haven't flown TK, but if you're doing it in J I hear they're actually better than you think. Of course I'd still probably take the better duration/arrival time if possible.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:02 am

Agree with Lost. If you don't show up at SMF your reservation will be canceled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.