Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The long slow decline of the American mid-range hotel chain

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2017, 5:54 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Azamaraal
...Hampton Inn has become much more than it used to be...
From what I've seen with the rates at the Hampton Inns, the trend seems to agree with your assessment!

But it makes sense. I have noticed the general gradual increase in quality of the Hampton Inns as well.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 7:40 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
as OP and others mentioned, its not about environment. its about cutting costs, while claiming its about environment. justifying being cheap.
Indeed, and 'thousands' of little plastic bottles is going to make far, far less impact than one highly-polluting steel mill in a developing nation. It's totally an excuse, nothing more.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 8:51 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Indeed, and 'thousands' of little plastic bottles is going to make far, far less impact than one highly-polluting steel mill in a developing nation. It's totally an excuse, nothing more.
Where exactly do you think the plastic bottles come from? Low-polluting mills in developed nations?
Old Apr 2, 2017, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Originally Posted by cbn42
Where exactly do you think the plastic bottles come from? Low-polluting mills in developed nations?
the only way to save environment is to buy land. no one does that, because it is not profitable. environmental industry can be extremely profitable.

in exactly this way, companies profit by claiming they are environmental.

or, PR campaigns claiming they are environmental.

or, those selling environmental products to hotels.

or, when businesses have customers give them money (to donate) which business then donates (or not?) and writes off, rather than customers writing it off.

same principle applies to other marketing, for example with millennials. consultant claims millennials dont want or care about x. businesses stop offering x, often at a cost reduction. claim its all about catering to millennials, even if they are really not a substantial client, and even if business decision is cost reductions, with consultant as justification.

LCCs sell based on unbundled prices. US/EU airlines are following in some ways. even when it is proven that significant percentage of clients want lowest price, it may not be majority of clients. (comparing to hotels and their clients)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 2, 2017 at 10:15 pm
Old Apr 3, 2017, 1:05 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
the only way to save environment is to buy land. no one does that, because it is not profitable. environmental industry can be extremely profitable.

in exactly this way, companies profit by claiming they are environmental.

or, PR campaigns claiming they are environmental.

or, those selling environmental products to hotels.

or, when businesses have customers give them money (to donate) which business then donates (or not?) and writes off, rather than customers writing it off.

same principle applies to other marketing, for example with millennials. consultant claims millennials dont want or care about x. businesses stop offering x, often at a cost reduction. claim its all about catering to millennials, even if they are really not a substantial client, and even if business decision is cost reductions, with consultant as justification.

LCCs sell based on unbundled prices. US/EU airlines are following in some ways. even when it is proven that significant percentage of clients want lowest price, it may not be majority of clients. (comparing to hotels and their clients)
There is certainly a marketing aspect involved, and greenwashing, as it is called, has become a problem. But in this particular case, there's no question that a wall-mounted dispenser is more environmentally friendly than individual disposable bottles. Whether you care or not is up to you, but there is an environmental benefit.

The first sentence in your post is completely absurd. There are plenty of ways to conserve the environment besides buying land, whatever that entails.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
The reality is that most people really don't care about the environment. In the U.S., we're seriously making an attempt to expand the freaking coal industry. In 2017.

And a hotel wants me to engage in silly theater about the towels?

Sorry, world. We. Don't. Care.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 11:49 am

I'll make the opposite claim. I dont mind reusing towels so will often hang them up indicating they shouldnt be changed. More often than not, i'm given a new towel anyways.

I know the hotel is more focused with saving money than saving the planet - but it seems counterproductive.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
It drives me nuts that I try to re-use the towels and they are always replaced instead. Always. I would say 98%+ of the time. I do like the $5 and skip housekeeping instead, especially when on per diem.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 10:56 pm

I leave "Do Not Disturb" out my entire stay. I usually travel for business, four nights. I don't need bedding made and towels replaced and everything when I just shower and sleep in the room after a day at an office. Just too much for me. I do enjoy the extra SPG points though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.