Reload this Page >

The long slow decline of the American mid-range hotel chain

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The long slow decline of the American mid-range hotel chain

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2017, 11:38 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by OTD
I just wish the little bottles had the contents written in big letters. I don't wear my reading glasses when i take a shower and it sometimes takes a couple tries to figure out which is the shampoo.

Putting hand lotion in your hair is not the best way to start the day.
At least the small bottles tend to advertise their fragrance and ingredient list. As someone with fragrance allergies to most floral scents, I won't touch most of the wall mounted dispensers that are poorly labeled or (usually) unlabeled entirely. There's no way to evaluate the label or to test the fragrance before dispensing some of the gel.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 11:50 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by pinniped
A couple months ago, a full-service Autograph Collection hotel in NYC refused to store a bag unless I paid the bellman $3 cash. I was a guest at the hotel who had just checked out 5 minutes earlier.

I was taken aback by the nature of the request and ended up *not* storing a bag, even though I always tip about that per bag. The guy made it sound like a hotel charge, which would certainly be a decrease in an important service I use regularly on business trips where I leave the hotel room at 8AM but don't fly out until evening.
Unless this charge was displayed somewhere or you could pay it by credit card at the front desk, it sounds like it was just a corrupt bellman. I would have reported it to the manager, and then to corporate if I didn't get a satisfactory answer.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gregory Nelson, best western is actually a coop, not a franchisor, i was surprised

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Courtyard and Hilton Garden Inn share significant DNA in a single person: Adrian Kurre. Adrian was heavily involved in the initial growth of Courtyard; thought they weren't being consistent enough; hopped over to Hilton to "out-Courtyard" Courtyard by building HGI with its full breakfast. (These days Adrian heads up Homewood Suites, which no doubt explains the consistency in that brand.)

Both Courtyard and HGI have a huge inventory of 80s (CY) and 90s (CY and HGI) builds, so it's no wonder that people tend to think of them first in the "select service" category. I'd posit that Courtyard invented the select service hotel; HGI perfected it; HIE copied it.
hilton poached him based on what he did with courtyard?
really interesting. especially re timing, this was in another thread >
Originally Posted by drgmobile
There are only so many full service Hiltons you can open in any given city. But come up with a different kind of hotel offering -- one that appeals to a different segment of the market -- and you have room to grow.

...By the 1990s, the hotel companies came to realize that many of these sub-brand properties were cheaper to construct and operate.
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
courtyard is defined by marriott as "limited service"
marriott notes massive select service expansion/pipeline in press releases
hotel-development.marriott.com/brands/courtyard - 353(?) owned/managed in US
hiltonworldwide.com/portfolio/hilton-garden-inn - 6 owned/managed in US, site mentions >
full-service restaurant and bar, offering cooked-to-order breakfast, dinner room service
but what do they enforce, especially when some expensive luxury hotels may be without restaurant
hiltonworldwide.com/development/brand-development/
hiltonaffiliates.com/our-brands-and-resources/focused-service
HGI not "Full Service" but "Focused Service" with Hampton Inn

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 27, 2017 at 7:41 pm
Old Feb 27, 2017, 7:20 pm

I haven't seen any Holiday Inn Express or Hamptons serving any meals but breakfast. You can have dinner at Courtyards and Hilton Gardens, sometimes that's a big help. Hilton Gardens are my favorite of the lot. If the Marriot brands would fall out of love with orange, I would like them better.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 5:48 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I stayed in a HGI in Bakersfield that had installed a separate motion sensor on every light switch in addition to the one on the HVAC. Nothing stayed turned on for long. That kind of "improvement" constitutes a decline to me.
Those are annoying! I've stayed in a couple rooms where the AC shuts off as soon as I get into bed and stop moving, so the temperature starts creeping up until at some point the room is uncomfortably hot. So I get up to adjust the AC and as soon as I get out of bed it clicks back on. Over and over again all night until I realize its got a motion sensor on it. Seems overly sensitive, or something.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 10:40 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
I don't mind the wall-mounted dispensers. I thought the products in the Even Hotel I stayed in recently were quite nice.
Attached Images  
Old Mar 4, 2017, 8:16 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
I loved the products at the Even Hotel
Old Mar 4, 2017, 9:58 am

Those are not like the wall dispensers I've seen, which don't have any indication of what product they are dispensing (other than generic labels like "shampoo" or "conditioner"): like these (https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/me...-on-shower.jpg) or these (http://www.istockphoto.com/ca/photo/...ap%20dispenser)
Old Mar 5, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
Originally Posted by cbn42
Unless this charge was displayed somewhere or you could pay it by credit card at the front desk, it sounds like it was just a corrupt bellman. I would have reported it to the manager, and then to corporate if I didn't get a satisfactory answer.
I stayed there recently as well. There is a sign in front of the bellman's stand. They asked me if I had Marriott status--I have gold status. I didn't have to pay. this was to check the bag before a room was available at check in.

Also, no WSJ at my door or in the lobby or concierge lounge at breakfast time.

I've been charged at a handful of hotels for luggage storage over the years. NYC sticks in my mind in terms of most frequency.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by pinniped
I've kind of wondered if there won't be a future evolution by Marriott and Hilton into the realm even more rural than Fairfield and Hampton.

I know that sounds nuts, but there's a market there. New Hamptons and Fairfields these days have gotten pretty good: they've upgraded the product and command $100-125/nt in most places. As such, they tend to be right along major interstates and usually within an hour or so of a large or medium-sized city. They can't get *too* rural.

Thus it wouldn't surprise me if one of them devised a concept in the $60-80/nt. range that they could deploy to less-trafficked interstates, state highways, and small towns that today might be lucky to have a Best Western type of place. It seems like there's a huge fragmented market full of lousy motels: ripe for one of the Big 3 (I'll add IHG to this...although I'm not sure how you brand HIX to something even lighter while still keeping the HI name) to come in and dominate with a clean, fresh brand.

Since the lower end is where the profits seem to be, I'm just surprised it hasn't been done.

This is what goes through my head when we're roadtripping late at night to Minneapolis, getting to an MSP airport hotel at 1AM. Last Marriott/Starwood/Hilton on I-35 is in Ames, 3.5 hours south. Between there and MSP, it's nothing but truckstops and strong coffee.
This is so true. AmericInn seems to be very prominent around here once you get away from the Interstates and is often the only not-seedy place in town. But aside from the odd Country Inn or Choice Hotels affiliate (the latter often being seedy too), very little with national chain affiliation.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver, IHG Gold, AAdvantage. DL Skymiles
If you're interested in Holidomes, suburban Pittsburgh seems to be a hot spot for them. Clarion, Indiana, and Uniontown all have them. Beaver Falls used to be another one, but it's now a Park Inn.

Further afield, I stayed in one in suburban Dayton a few years ago that was out standing.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: Aeroplan, HHonors Diamond, BonVoy Gold, AAdvantage, IHG Priority Club, BA EC, AS MVP
Somewhat contrary to the general view my experience has been that lately the Hampton Inn has become much more than it used to be and has become my "Hilton" of choice. A classic example for me is the Hampton in Spokane Washington on the road to the airport.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: No airline status whatsoever, Chase URs, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Oformula
Would soap/shampoo/conditioner coming from wall-mounted units, as opposed to individual bottles, be an example as well?
I don't think so ... those thousands of plastic bottles are an environmental disaster. I applaud hotels that have stopped using them. The low-wattage bulbs are annoying, but someone always brings me a decent lightbulb promptly so I can read. I never let housekeeping in my room, so just ask for what I need while they're in the hall.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Azamaraal
Somewhat contrary to the general view my experience has been that lately the Hampton Inn has become much more than it used to be and has become my "Hilton" of choice. A classic example for me is the Hampton in Spokane Washington on the road to the airport.
I stayed at this one a couple years ago while en route to Seattle when I moved here. Have to agree that it's one of the nicest Hampton Inns I've stayed at.

That said, I've become a little disappointed with Hampton Inns as of late nd have stayed in some that while far from awful, I wouldn't go out of my way to stay at by any means either. And I feel I can usually get a nicer hotel for the same price (especially if booking a gov't per diem rate room). If the Hampton Inn and the Embassy Suites are both the same gov't per diem rate, it's not a tough decision.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsn55
I don't think so ... those thousands of plastic bottles are an environmental disaster. I applaud hotels that have stopped using them. The low-wattage bulbs are annoying, but someone always brings me a decent lightbulb promptly so I can read. I never let housekeeping in my room, so just ask for what I need while they're in the hall.
as OP and others mentioned, its not about environment. its about cutting costs, while claiming its about environment. justifying being cheap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.