Wiki Posts
Search

3 pillows on the bed ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
3 pillows on the bed ?

so I'm at a Novotel in Canada 🇨🇦 for a few weeks. It is a king room, but there are only three pillows on the bed, and it appears to be by design. I don't think I have ever stayed at a hotel with an odd number of pillows on the bed like this. It just seems weird, at night with my companion it is like .., who gets the extra pillow this time ???

Not a problem or anything but I've stayed in probably hundreds of hotels and it is always an even number of pillows. After this I'll probably make a mental note of how many pillows are in hotel rooms ..
Old Jan 12, 2017, 1:03 am

A king bed can sleep 2 adults and a small child, in which case 3 pillows is appropriate.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 1:08 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
so I'm at a Novotel in Canada 🇨🇦 for a few weeks. It is a king room, but there are only three pillows on the bed, and it appears to be by design. I don't think I have ever stayed at a hotel with an odd number of pillows on the bed like this. It just seems weird, at night with my companion it is like .., who gets the extra pillow this time ???

Not a problem or anything but I've stayed in probably hundreds of hotels and it is always an even number of pillows. After this I'll probably make a mental note of how many pillows are in hotel rooms ..
That does seem odd. Did you check the closet to see if another pillow is there?
Old Jan 12, 2017, 5:59 am

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
Novotel Canada had a brand standard of four pillows per bed but the cost of providing and maintaining that level of pillowing was becoming excessive so they tested a two-pillow policy at several properties but this 50 percent service cutback led to many complaints and threats from customers to never stay at a Novotel again so they settled on a 25 reduction as a compromise.

I give this theory a 50 percent chance of being accurate.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I think I've only encountered 4 or more on the bed - Hilton in particular seems to love giving me 6-8. That being said a phone call to house keeping should solve the problem.

We often end up with only two since we are both allergic to feather - when they don't read the notes beforehand it means calling to request foam pillows and nearly always they only bring 2.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Three standard pillows are the width of a king-size bed. When I shared a king-size bed in a previous lifetime, that's how we made it. Two looked silly, and king-size pillows were too big for comfortable sleeping.

Last edited by Efrem; Jan 12, 2017 at 7:50 am
Old Jan 12, 2017, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008

I always use 2 pillows myself and my wife uses 1. That's not all that uncommon.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
I'm in the Hilton TLV. 5 on the bed, 2 in the closet. Of the 5 on the bed, 4 get dumped on the side very freaking night....
Old Jan 12, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by davie355
A king bed can sleep 2 adults and a small child, in which case 3 pillows is appropriate.
We can fit more than that, but I guess it depends on how big the adults are and the level of "sleep sprawl"

OP - if it bothers you to only have 3 pillows, you could either ditch one or request another one to even things out. Or make it a competition over who gets the extra pillow.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by timfountain
I'm in the Hilton TLV. 5 on the bed, 2 in the closet. Of the 5 on the bed, 4 get dumped on the side very freaking night....
I hate that. If I put the pillows on the couch or in the wardrobe, it's because I don't want them on the bed. Silly housekeeping.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 5:03 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by mmff
I hate that. If I put the pillows on the couch or in the wardrobe, it's because I don't want them on the bed. Silly housekeeping.
Plus you have to think about where to put them. I don't want to put them on the floor since I may end up sleeping on that pillow the next night.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by timfountain
You need to consider looks as well as function. Or perhaps you don't want to, but many do consider looks important as well.

And also, often in hotels they provide enough pillows with feathers inside and enough pillows with fake stuff inside to cater to both tastes.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by Duke787
I think I've only encountered 4 or more on the bed - Hilton in particular seems to love giving me 6-8. That being said a phone call to house keeping should solve the problem.
"Should" being the operative word.

Originally Posted by Duke787
We often end up with only two since we are both allergic to feather - when they don't read the notes beforehand it means calling to request foam pillows and nearly always they only bring 2.
Ditto on the feather allergies.

For some reason Hyatt Place hotels seem to be incapable of understanding "No feather pillows IN THE ROOM" which I add to every reservation. I tend to check in late in the day/mid evening, so I have taken to calling ahead about the pillows as asthma attacks do not enhance my travel experience. They STILL don't replace the feather pillows with foam or remove the dust mite laden feather ones. Most recent stay at Hyatt Place Arlington it took 2 phone calls to get 2 foam pillows and we had 8 d@mn feather pillows taking up half the coach for 4 days. Grrrr.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Just three? Heck min number of pillows for my wife is four...
Old Jan 14, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by invisible
Just three? Heck min number of pillows for my wife is four...
I agree...3 is odd I think a king bed should have a minimum of four, with a choice of 2 soft (feather) and 2 firm (foam).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.