Wiki Posts
Search

Professional Symbols: Unfair Usage?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2017, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Professional Symbols: Unfair Usage?

Hi,

What do you think of flying with nametags, ID cards, clerical garb, professional attire or items which demonstrate that you are genuinely a nice and respectable person. I'm a nice person, but unless I want to wear a gigantic wooden cross around my neck or a nametag which says, "Pastor Chuck" (a title which I will have claim to by next September), I don't have many options. I knew a minister who wore a massive metal key around his neck. If you asked him why he was wearing it, he said, "Jesus". Then he'd explain that he was a minister. Clearly he was either a minister, or a locksmith, and probably a minister. Literally he was wearing his faith as a tool to be recognized.

For example, I once was in like at a gate. There was a RC priest who had some very large and clearly oversize parcels. He told the gate agent that (he was wearing a collar which was clearly visible) they were essential electronics for his parish. So if the GA would have said to check them, they would basically be telling a priest off. He got on, parcels in hand.

If you were a doctor and wore your lab coat on a plane, it would look like you're out to get some special treatment. Doctors generally have to be content with telling people they're doctors. World class athletes have the privilege to wear a tracksuit with identifiers on it. You don't have to say, "I'm Jim Jones, the athletic coach". People see your tracksuit and look and say, "This man has a claim to fame, or he shops at Walmart in the sportswear section".

What d you think of wearing items which denote your station in life to try to get better treatment? Professional credentials. Uniforms mostly, (non military. I figure if you're in the armed forces, you can wear your uniform any time).

What would you think if a cardiac surgeon arrived at the gate wearing scrubs and a nametag. Would you treat him any differently than say, a cardiac surgeon wearing a polo shirt and jeans?

I've had plenty of flights where people next to me are athletes, doctors, ministers, academicians/professors, professional musicians. Should we treat a member of a legitimate professional community differently, or more accurately, what do you think of people who are part of a professional community and wear certain items to get special treatment?

Cheers,

Chuck
Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:30 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
[QUOTE=CKA1;27728748]... what do you think of people who are part of a professional community and wear certain items to get special treatment? [QUOTE]

They should be made to fly nude.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
I really don't care what people wear on the plane as long as it's not indecent. A lot of people might need to go directly to/from work, so they don't have a choice.

To get special treatment, the airline employee has to give it (which is unlikely in 21st century airline travel). If it doesn't negatively affect me, I don't care.

Over Christmas, I was on a flight with a guy dressed in clothing that made it obvious he was a player or coach for an NBA team (looked him up later and I was right), plus the flight was going from where the team just played to where their next game was. It was obvious that for whatever reason he missed the charter and wasn't expecting nor did he recieve any special treatment. Just another business traveler.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:36 am

Programs: QF
Agree with above, wear whatever as long as it's respectable. As for doctors, their tickets stubs usually carry the courtesy title, no special treatment expected or offered.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
It's like tattoos, it is either a statement or a cry for attention.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by CKA1
What do you think of flying with nametags, ID cards, clerical garb, professional attire or items which demonstrate that you are genuinely a nice and respectable person.
I'm concerned with people who think that they need to wear a label to prove they are respectable. Or with people who think that wearing a label makes them look respectable.

For example, I once was in like at a gate. There was a RC priest who had some very large and clearly oversize parcels. He told the gate agent that (he was wearing a collar which was clearly visible) they were essential electronics for his parish. So if the GA would have said to check them, they would basically be telling a priest off. He got on, parcels in hand.
So the guy cheated the system. Nice stunt by a priest.

what do you think of people who are part of a professional community and wear certain items to get special treatment?
Except for active military who have a valid reason to wear the uniform, I think that people who wear certain items to get special treatment are a)arrogant and b) delusional. It doesn't work.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 4:41 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by CitizenWorld
Agree with above, wear whatever as long as it's respectable. As for doctors, their tickets stubs usually carry the courtesy title, no special treatment expected or offered.
That's not necessarily an indicator, though. There are always non-medical doctors (whether PhD or equivalent) who will identify as such in their title (e.g. when having travel booked for them for an academic conference). And here in the UK, surgeons don't use the 'Dr' honorific, and senior doctors in teaching hospitals may be more commonly referred to as 'Prof'.

Personally, I don't care one way or another. As a salary-hungry desk jockey, I'm always slightly envious of those whose jobs really mean something to them. If you're lucky enough to be in that position, then go for it, be proud!
Old Jan 9, 2017, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Except for active military who have a valid reason to wear the uniform, I think that people who wear certain items to get special treatment are a)arrogant and b) delusional. It doesn't work.
Airline staff regularly wear uniform when deadheading/positioning/commuting and believe me, it DOES work.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 6:18 am

Law 34: Be Royal in Your Own Fashion – Act Like a King to be treated like one

at times i wear a suit and make sure my grooming is impeccable. if its a casual destination and trip, just jeans and a blazer.

havent tried to get on board in chefs garb, i'm afraid i might be made to work the galley.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:05 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
A person's character is demonstrated by their actions, not what they are, or are not, wearing. I thought we all were taught that as children.

I've never had an assumption that a person is "nice/respectable" merely because they have on some type of attire, nametag, or jewelry - nor would I assume that a person isn't "nice/respectable" because they lack any of that.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
Originally Posted by 84fiero
A person's character is demonstrated by their actions, not what they are, or are not, wearing. I thought we all were taught that as children.

I've never had an assumption that a person is "nice/respectable" merely because they have on some type of attire, nametag, or jewelry - nor would I assume that a person isn't "nice/respectable" because they lack any of that.
I Agree. You're known by your actions.

I think wearing things that indicate your profession in order to get better treatment is verging on dishonesty.

Most doctors I know try to stay anonymous, to prevent people from asking them medical questions and trying to get e free consultation.

And, if a priest or a nun is sitting in my seat, I'm still going to ask them to move.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I do think it is amusing how many people have observed that lawyers, accountants and consultants all seem to travel in the uniform of blue blazer and khaki pants. (Though admittedly it is a very practical outfit.)
Old Jan 9, 2017, 2:58 pm

Hi,

What would you think if a cardiac surgeon arrived at the gate wearing scrubs and a nametag. Would you treat him any differently than say, a cardiac surgeon wearing a polo shirt and jeans?
If somebody showed up at the gate for a commercial flight in scrubs and claimed to be a cardiac surgeon I'd think s/he was a liar. Scrubs are OR garb, and most qualified surgeons would not wear them in public. Sometimes residents in training wear their scrubs to and from work, but generally only until their attending rips them a new one for unsanitary practices.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
If somebody showed up at the gate for a commercial flight in scrubs and claimed to be a cardiac surgeon I'd think s/he was a liar.
Apart from not being particularly hygienic (IF you get out of hospital, head home and clean it afterwards anyway, I don't see much of a problem.), I would imagine, that most surgeons don't get out of the OR with clean scrubs (a reason why, none of them wear white, whereas they usually wear white during consultations).
Old Jan 9, 2017, 3:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some countries, IIRC Mexico, forbid clergy from wearing their religious garments in public. This seems to have the purpose of getting certain special privileges, such as others giving them seats on public buses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.