Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What happens when you run out of miles/points?

Old Jan 8, 2017, 9:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Will you dare fly in the back of the plane again or will you spend your own cold hard cash on J/F?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I pay. The advantages are I can go anywhere on any airline and can stay at any hotel. I am not limited to staying at a choice of only 2 hotels in a city, neither of with might be in a good location.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:37 am

Programs: QF
Cold hard cash.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Terminator8
Will you dare fly in the back of the plane again or will you spend your own cold hard cash on J/F?
I spend my cash now on business class. Points are for upgrades business to first.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 4:36 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
It can be immensely liberating. You actually realise that, hmm, that LCC isn't so bad (you can pay for half the perks anyway) and oh look, it goes direct from your local airport and saves you several hours by flying direct.

For long haul, just look for the latest QR biz deals in the MR forum
Old Jan 9, 2017, 5:50 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I won't run out for quite some time to say the least. But in any case I fly in back most of the time anyway, reserving premium for trips where it's worth it. And I sometimes pay for flights with cash already if the price is right, redemptions aren't a good value, or what I need is not available. Of course for work I have to fly economy regardless.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 6:06 am

i am willing to pay to be in J for special trips and long haul. otherwise will be content to fly W, Y, or even LCC and stay within my area. lots to see and do in south east asia.

the truth is it is not easy to accumulate significant amount of miles in my country, unless one spends around upwards of USD 20,000.00 a month or so and since most suppliers for businesses wont take cards mile accumulation is much more difficult.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 6:16 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
There are people in this forum who never flown to C/F even if they have means (miles/money) to do so.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I often fly coach already, either because I'm flying a LCC like WN or because business class is too expensive, even on points. Airlines are stingy with saver award inventory nowadays.

People are talking in this thread about being liberated to fly any airline. That's an answer to a different question IMO. That's what happens when you stop traveling enough to maintain elite status. Until that happens I'll keep flying the airlines where I've earned nontrivial benefits and earning more points/miles on them.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: Independent
Sometimes you fly coach, sometimes you pay more. Most of time unfortunately you decide the trip is not worth it. For me, where I used to fly a couple of trips a month, I am lucky if I get 4 trips a year in now. Those little weekend jaunts across the country are just too costly in F or C, while being too painful in Y.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I think I've redeemed F/J once. With a family of 4, eating hundreds of thousands of miles for every trip, even a large balance can go away fairly quickly. I was at 1.4M at one point, down to 400K with this summer's Machu Picchu trip. If we had flown J, I would have been out before last summer's trip down under. We can put up with hours in MRTC/E+ to keep the option of future trips.

Yes, lie-flats on an Emirates A380 was nice - when I wasn't paying for it. Not an incremental $4K nice though.

When I run out, I'm sure I'll just purchase Y.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.