Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to travel cheaply and personal cost statistics after 587 days on the road

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2017, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Hey guys,

I have now made an update to this after 664 days, including a breakdown for the average costs per Country! Hopefully this might come in handy for some to plan your own trip

Travel Costs #01 incl. Country Statistics!

Greetings from Myanmar,
Chris
Old Oct 4, 2017, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Found some mistake in the Caribbean stats, fixed it now and will soon put a second update out with the Australia and New Zealand numbers once I left New Zealand again. Will have some movement in the top5 for sure then =)
Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Interesting documentation Chris.

When it comes to personal travel I'm kind of a hybrid traveller if there is such a thing. I pay out of my pocket for first/bizz class flights (I won't fly economy) but when it comes to accommodations, etc, I choose the cheapest hotels I can find, and eat and drink where ever and whatever I want.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 3:37 am
Original Poster

Hehe you should try Couchsurfing! =)
Old Jun 12, 2018, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Hi guys! I finally managed to get the new update out with now nearly 3 years or 1000 days on the road, I got the yearly average costs down to below 8500€! My travel style will certainly not be suitable for everyone out there, but I still hope that it can provide some insights and help you plan your next trip!

How much does it cost to travel the world?

Cheers,
Chris
bigbuy likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 7:32 am

How do you handle health insurance? How much is that per year? In the US system it would be another line item.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:01 am
Suspended

Travelling cheaply is not a huge mystery. Basically, just lower your standards all around and be ok with living like an animal..or a 20 year old.....stop flying in F, J, or even E+ and take the most basic fare on the most discounted LCC in the middle seat, forgo proper hotel rooms for hostels and campsites, eat the most basic and questionable stuff you can from third world street vendors, and go with 3 pairs of underwear for 3 months, hitchhike, abuse honor system based public transport, jump trains before the conductor sees you have no ticket, and eat the food from the dumpsters behind the Ritz Carlton..
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 10:34 pm
Suspended

The forum allows linkbait now? WTH?
BenA likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Travelling cheaply is not a huge mystery. Basically, just lower your standards all around and be ok with living like an animal..or a 20 year old.....stop flying in F, J, or even E+ and take the most basic fare on the most discounted LCC in the middle seat, forgo proper hotel rooms for hostels and campsites, eat the most basic and questionable
Exactly..when away in a cheap country that still cost me lots I.passed a cheap 2 star hotel and said if we stayed there we could stay here for 6 months. Easy done.

I am not a good budgeted unfortunately
Old Jun 16, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
I'm not a budget minded traveler, quite the opposite, but I must comment you have beautiful photos.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I usually try for the lower midrange in places like Asia and South America. That can be a bit trickier because there's a little more money on the table and on the lodgings I'm trying to hit a sweet spot in the $20s for the best kind of private room that can be bought for that (snoring diminishes popularity in hostels, or so I'm told).

Will also resist scrimping on the food or self-catering if I think there are good or distinctive options (the Bourdain gene). Though in Tahiti I still did a few meals from grocery stores.

Nonetheless it's OK that the OP is doing this. One of my more inspirational travel books in my early days was "Arthur Frommer's New World of Travel" circa 1990, where his point was that travel in the conventional, marketed sense was way too needlessly expensive and there were lots of other ways to do things but they didn't advertise. It's still a useful message to get across.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:46 am
Suspended

I suppose it's an age thing. There is no way at 45 years old that I am going to live like a bum. I am not going to stay in a hostel, or fly basic coach, or do any of that poverty-travel stuff that 20 year olds do. Really, I get out of sorts if my on-board amenity kit is scuffed and my pre-departure drink isn't in my hand within 2 minutes of sitting down.

However, at 20 I am SURE I would have been on-board. I sort of was. When I was 20 there were no LCC's. We scrimped and saved just to get a charter airline fare to Europe, and when we got there, yeah, we did the hostel thing and ate like monks on a fast. It was adventurous and exciting. At my age, that just sounds like borderline homelessness.

It's amazing what you can get away with when you are young.

I watch alot of travel vlogs. Some of them feature 20's somethings going around the world on a shoestring budget, and if I can stomach watching a 20 year old make strange noises over plinky-plonk stock blog music, I will enjoy it. But there is this one guy, who is MY age and is doing the same thing..back packing around Europe, aimlessly, constantly complaining about Swiss food prices, staying in hostels that don't kick out people over 30..and I think to myself..."well...this guy is more global vagrant than he is global adventurer"
Old Jun 18, 2018, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
I dont think so - for many if not most here the true luxury is time. Its hard to find enough vacation time and its impossible to take kids out of school. There is very little glamour in business travel - it is mostly an inconvenience not a perk...

OP seems to be based in germany where healthcare education and basic retirement all guaranteed and paid for by government. For those based here in north america, not working means not saving for all those things and not having basic coverage with very serious long term implications...
Not to nitpick but where does the government get the 💰????
Old Jun 18, 2018, 4:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bigbuy
Not to nitpick but where does the government get the 💰????
Tax. And not spending it all on the military and their own salaries.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I think this is pretty cool. What a fantastic experience. Its not for me, but I am an older guy and I like my travel style. To each their own. I think there is a lot of initiative here and a lot of stories. Its better than half the young people who spend all day staring at their phones and fretting over their social media status. If he can make money by telling his story, more power to him.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.