Wiki Posts
Search

Skip last leg of flight

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2017, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Skip last leg of flight

Hello everybody
What happens if i decide to skip the last leg of a multi leg flight?
I will not have any checked luggage with me.
Do i need to let them know and if yes at what stage of my journey?
Old Jan 1, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Welcome to FT! Nothing happens if you don't do it too frequently. Search this forum for hidden city ticketing to find more answers.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 3:41 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
As long as by "last flight," you mean the last leg of a one-way trip or the last leg of the return flight of a round-trip. If you skip the last leg of the out-bound trip of a round trip, you could get stuck with no return ticket.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by nsat65
Hello everybody
What happens if i decide to skip the last leg of a multi leg flight?
I will not have any checked luggage with me.
Do i need to let them know and if yes at what stage of my journey?
I suspect you read somewhere about Hidden City ticketing and how to save money by skipping a flight.

If you get caught, it could get expensive. It's also fraud. And it's unethical.

Don't do it.
WeekendTraveler likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 5:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
In your scenario nothing will happen unless you do this consistently and repeatedly. Some airlines have conditions of carriage that forbid this practice, others don't.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Also depends on whether there are other ways to get to your ticketed final destination without going through the city where you want to get off. If anything goes wrong with your original flight - mechanical, overbooking, whatever - the airline is within its rights to get you to where they think your destination is any way the want to. After all, that's where you told them you wanted to go, and that's where they promised to take you. For many origin-destination pairs, that might not involve a plane change in the city where you plan to leave. (That said, if you find yourself there and decide to bail, as already posted nothing will happen if you don't make a habit of it.)
Old Jan 2, 2017, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Thanks
If i skip the last leg of a multi leg flight do i need to inform
them and how?
After i leave the airport or at the airlines desk at the airport?
Old Jan 2, 2017, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
you don't "need" to inform the airline; some people do so as a courtesy (maybe an hour or so before scheduled departure) so that the seat can be put back into inventory

I wouldn't do that at the airport, however ... phone call is best
Old Jan 3, 2017, 1:38 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Thanks
them and how?
What is the routing and what airline(s) are involved?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: none
Thanks
them and how?
If you don't show up for the last leg of the flight and don't call ahead, you will be considered a "no-show," they will give away your seat if there is a standby, and they will leave without you. If you call ahead of time, they will consider you a "no-show," they will give your seat to a standby, and leave without you.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:48 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Depending on the routing and how long ago you booked your ticket, you may be able to recover some residual value from the last leg if you cancel it. If not, then skipping the last leg won't hurt you unless you do it too often. Don't say anything, just leave the airport. Airlines are used to no-shows. However, there is a very small chance that you could get rerouted to your final destination via another route that doesn't go to your intended intermediate point.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 4:11 am

Programs: SQ - Silver / BA - Silver / Accor - Platinum / Bonvoy - Gold / Hilton - Gold / Radisson - Premier
What if I have checked bags?
Old Feb 8, 2017, 4:25 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by timothy_tw
What if I have checked bags?
Your bags will be check to your final destination. Most airlines will not let you short check
Old Feb 8, 2017, 4:36 am

Programs: SQ - Silver / BA - Silver / Accor - Platinum / Bonvoy - Gold / Hilton - Gold / Radisson - Premier
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Your bags will be check to your final destination. Most airlines will not let you short check
Let say I left the airport in Tokyo but my final destination is Hong Kong, what will happen to my bags? Aren't there policy that forbids bags from flying without the passenger onboard?

And what are the procedure to reclaim my bags later?

Thanks a lot!
Old Feb 8, 2017, 5:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You will spend a lot of time in Tokyo trying to get reconnected with your bags. The airline may then (but realistically probably won't) reprice your ticket as if were to Tokyo. You would also suffer bad karma because you inconvenienced a lot of people as you will have held up the HKG flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.