Skip last leg of flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skip last leg of flight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2017, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by timothy_tw
What if I have checked bags?
The only time this isn't a problem is when you want to leave at your point of entry into a country where you have to clear customs. Generally, you have to collect your bags so they can be inspected by customs officials if they want to. You then (in theory) re-check them, usually right after leaving the customs inspection area, to your final destination. However, nobody will stop you if you somehow don't see the re-check desk and keep walking.

Other than that, you can ask a check-in agent to "short check" your bags to an intermediate point (where you'd like to leave). As posted, they are reluctant to do this, because 90+ percent of the people who ask for a short check are planning to do exactly that. You'll need an unusually good explanation. Even then you may hear "sorry, can't do that, it's against policy."
Old Feb 9, 2017, 1:10 am

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
Originally Posted by timothy_tw
Let say I left the airport in Tokyo but my final destination is Hong Kong, what will happen to my bags? Aren't there policy that forbids bags from flying without the passenger onboard?

And what are the procedure to reclaim my bags later?

Thanks a lot!
Perhaps someone who flies around Asia doing this should answer the question rather than the americans... nothing will happen. Just tell them you only want the bag checked through to Tokyo when you check in. I do this all the time. Usually on a return trip to Hong Kong where my ticket is XXX-HKG-TPE and I want to get off at Hong Kong. I usually also don't check in for the final leg if I'm not going to fly it. I just say "I was thinking of changing that leg - I will check in in HK if I need it later". Or some such thing. It's pretty common in Asia and I have never had a problem with it.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by fairhsa
Perhaps someone who flies around Asia doing this should answer the question rather than the americans... nothing will happen. Just tell them you only want the bag checked through to Tokyo when you check in. I do this all the time. Usually on a return trip to Hong Kong where my ticket is XXX-HKG-TPE and I want to get off at Hong Kong. I usually also don't check in for the final leg if I'm not going to fly it. I just say "I was thinking of changing that leg - I will check in in HK if I need it later". Or some such thing. It's pretty common in Asia and I have never had a problem with it.
Your example of not having a bag checked for TPE on a XXX HKG TPE itinerary only works at CX staffed overseas check in. Most CX frequent overseas J flyer knows a TW travel agent.

Try doing that short check at a AA checkin counter.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: Hilton Honors LT Diamond, Marriott Gold Delta Gold, Avis Preferred Plus,
I have a quick question along these lines. I booked 2 round trip tickets through Expedia, wont do that again. I leave (MCO) Florida, fly to LAX, then to (CAN) in China then on to Siem Reap (REP) Cambodia. My original trip had me land in China with a 12 hr layover until Cambodia. There is now a flight that leaves 8 hrs earlier for the exact same cost as my original flight and I want to take that. Expedia wants to charge me $1,200 to make the change. What if I just book the other flight and take it? My cost would be $300 to do that. Would I be able to still use my return ticket on the original itinerary? China southern says Expedia has to make the change and can do it, Expedia says they have to rebook the whole trip at the new cost which is higher. I checked on China Southern and can book it for the same cost as my original itinerary.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by poker9ite
Would I be able to still use my return ticket on the original itinerary?
No. Not flying the booked flights/not flying the booked flights in the correct order will generally result in the airline voiding the rest of the ticket. Some airlines refuse to reinstate tickets. Others charge a No-show fee and recalculate the fare.

China southern says Expedia has to make the change and can do it, Expedia says they have to rebook the whole trip at the new cost which is higher. I checked on China Southern and can book it for the same cost as my original itinerary.
You'd have to check your fare rules. You may not be allowed to change the ticket or only change it at an astronomical cost.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I have a quick question along these lines. I booked 2 round trip tickets through Expedia, wont do that again. I leave (MCO) Florida, fly to LAX, then to (CAN) in China then on to Siem Reap (REP) Cambodia. My original trip had me land in China with a 12 hr layover until Cambodia. There is now a flight that leaves 8 hrs earlier for the exact same cost as my original flight and I want to take that. Expedia wants to charge me $1,200 to make the change. What if I just book the other flight and take it? My cost would be $300 to do that. Would I be able to still use my return ticket on the original itinerary? China southern says Expedia has to make the change and can do it, Expedia says they have to rebook the whole trip at the new cost which is higher. I checked on China Southern and can book it for the same cost as my original itinerary.
You mention two PNRs. Exactly which parts of the trip on are which PNR?

As a general rule with pretty limited exceptions: if you skip a flight, all subsequent flights on that PNR automatically cancel.

Once you've checked in (inside 24 hours), the airline generally has greater control over the ticket. If an airline has a standby or same-day-confirmed change program, it can extend those options to third-party-booked tickets. No idea if this is a published option or an in-practice-allowed thing on China Southern or not.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:56 am

Programs: QF WP
I am currently on a DONE 5 ex JNB and I might not be able to fly the final leg SYD-JNB in June as I may begin a DONE4 ex HND...Should I call QF and tell them or just no show ??
Old Mar 9, 2018, 8:58 pm

Hi, I'm flying from Miami to Venice at the end of May with a layover both ways in Madrid on Iberia. I'm thinking on the way back from Venice to Madrid to stay in Madrid because I have some friend coming in from Miami. So my plans are to travel with them and get a flight back home when we reach Portugal on a different airline. Am I allowed to do this and how would I go about this with my luggage. When should I tell the airline what I want to do. Thanks
Old Mar 10, 2018, 1:56 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by Mich70
Hi, I'm flying from Miami to Venice at the end of May with a layover both ways in Madrid on Iberia. I'm thinking on the way back from Venice to Madrid to stay in Madrid because I have some friend coming in from Miami. So my plans are to travel with them and get a flight back home when we reach Portugal on a different airline. Am I allowed to do this and how would I go about this with my luggage. When should I tell the airline what I want to do. Thanks
Which airline is this, and how much did you pay for the ticket? Depending on this, you may actually save money by re-pricing it without the last segment. There will probably be a re-issue fee that you have to factor in as well.

You will NOT have access to your luggage in MAD, so if you do this without modifying your ticket in advance, then do not check in any luggage.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 2:15 pm

Skip last leg collect bags at Final Destination?!?

Hey all! I have a flight (budget) from SAN (San Diego) - SFO (San Francisco) - MRY (Monterey Ca) on United Airlines

My girlfriend will be in SF, and I would like to skip my last leg and take her with me to a wedding in Monterey. Can I skip the last leg and pick up my bags 3 hours later at MRY (Monterey Airport)?

Do you think there will be a problem?

Or should I ask for a Short Check?
Old Apr 15, 2018, 1:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Although it is not necessary for passengers to travel with their luggage in the US, I think there's a good chance your luggage will be offloaded. Even if it isn't you'd have along conversation with someone in MRY since you can't get to the luggage belts by walking off the street.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 1:50 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by Topher Mira
Hey all! I have a flight (budget) from SAN (San Diego) - SFO (San Francisco) - MRY (Monterey Ca) on United Airlines

My girlfriend will be in SF, and I would like to skip my last leg and take her with me to a wedding in Monterey. Can I skip the last leg and pick up my bags 3 hours later at MRY (Monterey Airport)?

Do you think there will be a problem?

Or should I ask for a Short Check?
Yes, there will very likely be a problem, and I don't think they will do a short check.

Is there any way you can avoid having to check in a bag?

Also, have you tried repricing the ticket? Since the second segment is probably the more expensive one, repricing it might not cost a lot, if anything.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 2:23 pm

I have a somewhat related question. What about booking a return round-trip from a destination and skipping it.

For example:

JFK > MAD booked one way via miles.

MAD > JFK > MAD book wish cash, but JFK to MAD leg skipped.

Would there be an issue with having a flight back to MAD booked, immigration-wise?
Old Jun 20, 2018, 3:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by nikehair
I have a somewhat related question. What about booking a return round-trip from a destination and skipping it.

For example:

JFK > MAD booked one way via miles.

MAD > JFK > MAD book wish cash, but JFK to MAD leg skipped.

Would there be an issue with having a flight back to MAD booked, immigration-wise?
No real issue.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite

No real issue.
Thank you. I've heard horror stories of people having their milesage accounts drained, but maybe that's just a scare tactic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.