Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Christmas Time - Vienna/Prague vs. London vs. Other City?

Old Dec 4, 2016, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: N/A

Hello all!

All things being equal, any advice about spending the 4 days before Christmas in either A) Prague/Vienna (2.5 Days Each), B) London, or C) Another European destination?

I have 4 days in transit before I head Stockholm to New York and would love any suggestions.

Any help would be much appreciated!!
Old Dec 4, 2016, 8:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In London, public transit closes down fro Christmas.

If you arrive before Christmas, the Vienna Christmas market would be special.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 8:25 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In London, public transit closes down fro Christmas.

If you arrive before Christmas, the Vienna Christmas market would be special.
Since it sounds like it may be relevant for the OP, exact timings may be important.

Public transit in London closes down on Christmas eve starting around 8:00pm, so unless you are planning to be in London after 6:00pm on Christmas eve, you won't have any problems.

As far as Christmas markets in Vienna are concerned, some close on the 23rd, but a couple are open till the 26th, and one stays open till the 31st.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA GS
I'd go somewhere warmer like Greece or Spain. My wife and I just got back from Greece and it was wonderful this time of year (Santorini and Athens). I would highly recommend this over London. We spent New Years in London last year and it was pretty cold and rained most of the time.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: N/A
Thank you all

I am actually going the week before Xmas (17-22) and it does seem Vienna has quite the xmas scene..

If i were to do Vienna I would fly out of prague as it is the cheaper flight and could do 3 days vienna and an overnight in prague. A bit of travelling however!
Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by You want to go where?
As far as Christmas markets in Vienna are concerned, some close on the 23rd, but a couple are open till the 26th, and one stays open till the 31st.
we get there on the 25th afternoon....good to know that there will still be a few markets that are open....

keeping in mind that there will be 2 infants in my travel party, any other tips on what we can do around that time in vienna????
Old Dec 6, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's likely to be some sort of skating, ice or fake, in a city square.

Look for outdoor carolers and indoor holiday music performances, often held in historic churches. Many churches will have beautiful antique manger scenes as well as holiday decorations. Hotels, restaurants, and generally shops, windows, and downtown streets will be decorated.

Remember that the 26th is the second day of Christmas and considered a holiday, so check what's open.

Something that's unique to Vienna would be the performances or practice sessions of the royal dancing horses.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There's likely to be some sort of skating, ice or fake, in a city square.

Look for outdoor carolers and indoor holiday music performances, often held in historic churches. Many churches will have beautiful antique manger scenes as well as holiday decorations. Hotels, restaurants, and generally shops, windows, and downtown streets will be decorated.

Remember that the 26th is the second day of Christmas and considered a holiday, so check what's open.

Something that's unique to Vienna would be the performances or practice sessions of the royal dancing horses.
sounds good....will be sure to check these things out....

i didn't realise the 26th is also considered a holiday....my wife was looking forward to some serious retail therapy on boxing day....
Old Dec 7, 2016, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Keyser
sounds good....will be sure to check these things out....

i didn't realise the 26th is also considered a holiday....my wife was looking forward to some serious retail therapy on boxing day....
I'm not sure about official holiday status, but many people in Europe consider the second day of Christmas to be a holiday. At the moment, I remember Dutch and German experiences with this specifically. It's not just a matter of Boxing Day in England.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 4:18 pm

Programs: *G
the 26th is an official holiday - celebrating st stephens
Old Dec 7, 2016, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deniah
the 26th is an official holiday - celebrating st stephens
thanks for the update....i guess we can just use this day to walk around & explore the sights....
Old Dec 8, 2016, 9:52 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Vienna would be amazing if you want the traditional winter Christmas festivities.

But I love that Greece idea too....

I once had two days in Dublin right around Christmas and we had a fantastic time in the city center. The city is small and walkable...everything was decked out beautifully for Christmas. It's not one that gets talked about like Vienna, some of the German cities, and London...but if you want a bit more of a relaxing time, it's pretty good.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 4:32 pm

Programs: IC Amb, Hilton Gold, MR Silver
Vienna is very beautiful with the Christmas Markets. Drink Feuerzangenbowle at the Karlsplatz, do ice skating at the Rathaus, go for 1 day of SPA at Therme Baden (Badner Bahn will get you there for below €6 or so one-way), enjoy coffee in any of the coffee houses, eat Vienna Schnitzel and Sacher Torte ;-))
Old Dec 8, 2016, 4:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Not a comment on where to spend Christmas but I am a massive fan of Vienna.. A great city! Great public transit system.. Amazing cafes and pubs.. History..
And a quick train ride to Salzburg
Old Dec 8, 2016, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by bumburuck
go for 1 day of SPA at Therme Baden (Badner Bahn will get you there for below 6 or so one-way)
+1000 for that idea. Hot spring spas in wintertime are just magic.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.