Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Tip Hotel Check in Person or Not for being Bellhop?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2016, 1:02 am
Original Poster

No bellhops at Radisson tonight but the person who appeared to be acting manager or shift director who checked me in helped bring my luggage to room. I wasn't sure what the etiquette was for a non-bellhop getting tipped for bellhop duties... Thoughts?
Old Nov 28, 2016, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by oaken
No bellhops at Radisson tonight but the person who appeared to be acting manager or shift director who checked me in helped bring my luggage to room. I wasn't sure what the etiquette was for a non-bellhop getting tipped for bellhop duties... Thoughts?
Wouldn't whoever does the job,no matter what their title, be tipped?
Old Nov 28, 2016, 1:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Wouldn't whoever does the job,no matter what their title, be tipped?
I have no idea. I always thought clerks or managers were salaried and tips would be more of an insult.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 4:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by oaken
What country?

IMO there's a big difference between a manager and a front desk supervisor.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 4:28 am

Programs: HH Silver
As a front desk clerk, MOD, I normally do not accept tips, even when I have to do the bellman or valet's job. I know many others who DO accept the tips. Just personal preference I think. I am not offended when offered, but just do not feel right taking them, and no, I am not salaried. When a bellman or valet see's me waive away a gratuity, it drives them crazy, and they work harder to make sure I don't have to do their job.

I think it is up to you if you want to offer or not.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:49 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
I would tip who ever did the job.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 2:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I'd probably tip whomever it was - regardless of title. The only time I ever ask for this service is when we have a serious pile of stuff with us (such as multiple sets of golf clubs), so I definitely tip.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 3:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Unless the individual is clearly senior management at a large property, it is appropriate to offer a tip based on the service provided, not the job title. If the valet checks you in, I don't think that you need to tip. If the front desk clerk helps with your luggage, you should offer a tip.

Needless to say, if the individual declines the tip, you smile and say "thanks."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.