Shady ATM tactics abroad

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2016, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Shady ATM tactics abroad

Not sure if we have a thread about this, but thought I'd share.

When I landed in Milan a couple days ago I needed Euros to pay for the bus into the city, so I went and pulled 100 EUR from the Euronet branded ATM which advertised it was 0% commission and it gave me two options to "confirm the exchange rate" at what appeared to be a terrible rate, would have been $117 USD for 100 EUR, vs. the current spot rate is like $107 to 100. So I clicked the "do transaction without confirming rate" and it warned me that it didn't know what the rate would finalize as.

I figured I'd trust Mastercard and my bank to settle it at the current rate vs whatever the sketchy machine said and sure enough, it posted to my account as a $109 withdrawal (I don't have a 0% FX fee debit card, but it does waive the bank fee and refund the ATM operator fee).

I bet they make so much money off people who have no idea what the exchange rate actually is.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 2:57 pm

Some stores actually give you the option in paying in your local currency too, at an insanely bad rate. A no forex credit card has saved me hundreds of dollars per year.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 3:12 pm

It is shady, indeed.

There's a whole thread on this: Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC)

Except in extremely rare cases, it is always better to run transactions in local currency -- i.e., without "confirming the exchange rate" (never heard that language before, so thanks for that alert). This applies whether at an ATM or making a purchase at a merchant.

Ideally, use a card (a credit card for merchants, a debit card for ATM withdrawals) with no forex fees, but even if your card has forex fees it's still usually better to be charged in local currency. American Express cards are safe as they always process in local currency.

To be clear, "local currency" usually refers to the currency of the country where the purchase is being made. DavidVenuto used the term differently above, to refer to the currency of one's card's bank. Just clarifying!

Seth

Last edited by sethweinstein; Nov 22, 2016 at 3:20 pm Reason: Clarification of "local currency"
Old Nov 22, 2016, 3:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I always make sure to process everything in local currency, every time, no matter the card.

The scam is getting trickier with that language on the ATM.

And watch out for unscrupulous merchants who will try to run a DCC scam without your permission, acting like they're "doing you a favor" by pushing the button for you.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that this scam is legal: countries don't have a very high incentive to protect tourists at the expense of their own local banks.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 6:18 pm

Programs: Nothing to speak of yet
Strange the other thread only appeared in 2014. This has been a well-known thing for at least four years...

What I find most infuriating is that US/CA ATMs charge fees for foreign cards with apparently no way around them?
Old Nov 22, 2016, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by DornierDo28
Strange the other thread only appeared in 2014. This has been a well-known thing for at least four years...

What I find most infuriating is that US/CA ATMs charge fees for foreign cards with apparently no way around them?
Are you saying that in addition to an ATM fee there is also a fee for foreign cards charged by the ATM?
Old Nov 22, 2016, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by sethweinstein
Except in extremely rare cases, it is always better to run transactions in local currency -- i.e., without "confirming the exchange rate" (never heard that language before, so thanks for that alert).
this, and MC generally has better rates than visa*

(you can compare yourself. *some ccys are better on visa, but a lot more are better on MC)

https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/cons...-currency.html
https://usa.visa.com/support/consume...lculator.html/
Old Nov 22, 2016, 7:49 pm

Programs: Nothing to speak of yet
Originally Posted by oaken
Are you saying that in addition to an ATM fee there is also a fee for foreign cards charged by the ATM?
No - there is an ATM fee that doesn't seem to be avoidable. This is unheard of in the rest of the world for banks' own ATMs. In the US, often convenience store ATMs are cheaper than multinational banks!
Old Nov 22, 2016, 8:18 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
No - there is an ATM fee that doesn't seem to be avoidable. This is unheard of in the rest of the world for banks' own ATMs. In the US, often convenience store ATMs are cheaper than multinational banks!
Exactly this.

Plus US shops try the DCC trick all the time, it's not just "the rest of the world".
Old Nov 23, 2016, 12:41 am

No - there is an ATM fee that doesn't seem to be avoidable. This is unheard of in the rest of the world for banks' own ATMs.
Try Thailand - it's the same there.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 1:30 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
The DCC trick is done all the time and not just abroad. Even Amazon is doing it.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 3:22 am

Programs: *G
Stay away from those Euronet machines. I look for prominent national/regional banks and use those machines
Old Nov 23, 2016, 3:33 am

Programs: None anymore
A new trick I found recently was a Raphael's Bank ATM (airside arrivals at DUB) that only dispensed EUR. The machine showed the EUR to GBP conversion rate at a usurious rate, in a manner which suggested it was offering me a choice of conducting the transaction in either currency but no other option was offered. To add further insult it then forced me to press a button to confirm I had been offered the choice to pay in my home currency even though no such option had been presented.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 7:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WorldLux
The DCC trick is done all the time and not just abroad. Even Amazon is doing it.
I don't know why I held this naive view: I would have previously thought Amazon was above using such a blatantly seedy scam.

Obviously holding U.S. based credit cards, I don't see DCC in the States. But since even domestic consumers have very little protection against unsavory banks, it doesn't surprise me a bit that international visitors are seen as potential prey to various scams. The financial sector purchases politicians in both parties, so this won't change no matter who's in charge in DC.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 8:01 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
... Amazon was above using such a blatantly seedy scam.
It's not really a scam. The rate, they propose, is just less attractive than the rate VISA/MC use. On my latest order, the difference between the visa exchange rate +1% fee charged by the bank and the exchange rate offered by Amazon.co.uk was somewhere around 0.50€ (less than 1.5% on the total of the order).

Originally Posted by pinniped
..., it doesn't surprise me a bit that international visitors are seen as potential prey to various scams.
DCC is IMHO per se not a scam. They propose a service and hence should be allowed to charge an additional fee in the form of slightly higher exchange rates. It becomes a scam, when customers get forced to use it or if the rates are unjustifiably high (same goes for ATM charges). I've read reviews of several people notably criticizing such practices Poland.

Overall I do think that the system regarding DCC is relatively safe. It helps that most terminals switch to the language of the card (e.g. German in the case of most German credit cards).

I advise friends that don't travel as much to know the approximate exchange rate, download the VISA/MC apps that usually offer exchange rate calculators, to pay by principle in local currency (and only pay via DCC if the rate is very good) and pay cash or walk away if the vendor is refusing to charge the card in local currency.

Last edited by WorldLux; Nov 23, 2016 at 8:08 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.