Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Longest you have been away on holiday (not work).

Longest you have been away on holiday (not work).

Old Nov 22, 16, 6:55 pm

We spent 4 weeks in Mulanay, Quezon PH last summer. The first two weeks are fun-filled as we enjoyed the natural forests and the sunny beach. For the next two weeks, they wanted to go home as they can't resist the feel of urban living.
Old Nov 22, 16, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier 50K elite, EY silver, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, AA/UA (and CO,NW) once gold now dirt.
My record was about 110 days some 19 years ago. It was planned around 65, but the currency crash had hit in SE Asia and everything suddenly got so cheap.
Old Nov 22, 16, 7:45 pm

Programs: Nothing to speak of yet
Done four 60 day trips, one 150 day and probably about a dozen months away before that. Always mix it up a bit between urban and rural, party and culture. Nothing worse than trying to get the feel for a place but having a rushed itinerary...
Old Nov 22, 16, 8:21 pm
Suspended

Recently took 4 weeks vacation to china. I also did 3 months backpacking in SE Asia + Australia while between jobs.
Old Nov 23, 16, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
My longest vacation trip was 4 months in Mediterranean Europe (Italy/Spain/Portugal/France/Turkey/Greece). (Yeah, I realize most of Turkey is in Asia. )

Have also done similar, but somewhat shorter, trips, such as: 3.5 months in the British Isles (England/Scotland/Northern Ireland/Ireland/Wales). And so on.
Old Nov 26, 16, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
When I was in my teens I took a month long safari to Africa with my dad and younger brother. We were gone for a month in the summer of 2000 and another month in the summer of 2001. Not only were we gone physically, but where we were was completely isolated from the world. We had no phones or internet and very little news reached us. Coming home and finding out what had happened in our abscene was always interesting.
Old Nov 26, 16, 10:06 pm

We have our first long trip coming up next year where we'll be spending 6 weeks visiting New Zealand and Hawaii with our three young kids. Not going to lie, I'm a bit nervous as well as excited about the trip, but the circumstances have just worked out such that we may never get a chance like this again. Hopefully staying in each location for a week will make it a bit easier, but I'm sure we'll be ready to come home by the end.
Old Nov 26, 16, 11:11 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Interesting to know - all these multiple month trips, especially if it was not solo trip, how much the journey cost with all expenses - transportation, housing, food/misc/etc included?

One thing is if you won a lottery (or rich uncle just left you inheritance of multiple millions of $) and you can travel for four month staying at 5* hotels. Another thing is carry your tent with you and eat at Subway and street food all the time.
Old Nov 27, 16, 1:18 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, IHG
We once did a two week cruise and couldn't wait to get home. I guess we're not true travelers.
Old Nov 27, 16, 10:29 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by invisible View Post
Interesting to know - all these multiple month trips, especially if it was not solo trip, how much the journey cost with all expenses - transportation, housing, food/misc/etc included?

One thing is if you won a lottery (or rich uncle just left you inheritance of multiple millions of $) and you can travel for four month staying at 5* hotels. Another thing is carry your tent with you and eat at Subway and street food all the time.
My two-month trip in Southeast Asia cost around $2500. I used miles to get in and out of the region and stayed in hostels in the cities and small guesthouses elsewhere. My daily budget (lodging, meals, sightseeing) was $30-$40. Transportation was by train, highway bus and tuk tuk. Food was a mix of street food and cheap restaurants. 100 THB for dinner goes pretty far in small town Thailand.

I worked all through college so I had the savings to pay for it myself. The miles were actually my first foray into FlyerTalk—I opened the Chase Sapphire Preferred and CO cards for the bonuses, which was enough for me to redeem for a first class ticket to Bangkok and business back from Singapore.

I'm very seriously thinking about doing another trip like this soon, though my savings are considerably healthier now so my budget won't be quite so anemic.
Old Nov 28, 16, 1:40 am

Programs: AAdvantage, BAEC, Avios, Alaska, SAS Eurobonus, DL Skymiles, IHG Priority, Best Western Rewards

It doesn't have to be hugely expensive. In my case I do it by looking out for special airfare deals and/or burning points and miles. Hotel promotions are useful too - IHG Accelerate is my flavour of the month at the moment. I fill in the gaps with basic motels (I'm in an Econo Lodge in Tucson at the moment). And yes, I do eat a fair few Subways.
Old Nov 28, 16, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was young enough I don't know the big picture on costs.

My father was on sabbatical, he got most of his salary and we used some savings. Most of that time was spent in third world countries and we traveled on the cheap side--we ate out of the grocery store far more than out of the restaurant. Back then there was also considerable tax savings.

Not counting the long distance transport our goal was under ~$100 in today's dollars for three people per day. This didn't happen in first world countries but we often came in under that in third world countries.
Old Nov 29, 16, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA, UA
When I was in college I did 5 weeks of travel one summer. Since graduation, this summer I spent 3 weeks in eastern/central Europe and the Balkans.
Old Nov 30, 16, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*A Gold, WN A+ CP, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Gold
The most time I've spent away from home on a pure leisure trip is 11 days. In the US it's hard to accumulate enough paid vacation time to take longer trips than that. I have taken slightly longer trips that combine work and leisure.
Old Dec 1, 16, 6:41 am

Programs: LH, Qatar, Emirates, Alitalia... IHG Platinum
50 days: travelled to Lebanon, Iraq, Syria and Jordan in 2011 between March and May. I went there because I knew something would go very wrong as the Arab Spring was unfolding...

Search this Thread