Complimentary Upgrade Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary Upgrade Stories

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2016, 10:48 am

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
I was 12 flying CLE-PHX nonstop as UM. They called me up and asked me if it would be ok if they moved me to first class because a family needed to sit together and they needed my seat. That was a no brainer.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue
I got an email from AirFrance for a reduced price business upgrade. I had never flown business before so I was enticed haha. I stupidly ended up buying the upgrade instead of trying to chance my arm for a free one at the airport. I don't know how likely it would have been but well, I got to experience it on the AF A380.

The cabin crew in my opinion were really full of themselves. I don't know if this was just to me because they knew I didn't pay full price or they're generally like this. Maybe they were just surprised a young Irish guy could speak French
Old Nov 14, 2016, 11:49 am

Got op-uped by BA from premium economy to J three times last year on busy JFK<->LHR flights. Over in the BA forum you'll see much speculation about the criteria BA use to choose candidates for op-ups, it appears to be a mixture of status, how many you've previously received and whether they think you're likely to buy the higher cabin in future once you've experienced it.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 1:35 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I got a random upgrade on Air Canada many years ago so the gate agent didn't have to upgrade an ....... who had been harassing her since she arrived at the gate. She paged me to verify my passport, then upgraded me. The death glare that guy gave me as he passed me in the aisle still haunts me.

I have had quite a few on WestJet since they introduced Plus and a few on United and Alaska Airlines after they screwed up my itinerary.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Apart from CPUs (which I'm not counting based on the way this thread is written though as a 1K and then EXP from 2011-2014 I racked up a ton of CPUs domestically), never gotten one.

I've taken a few low-offer one-class upgrades including $129 for Y --> PE on BA in 2009 when I was heading to the UK to study abroad during undergrad. Back then I knew nothing about FT much less the FF game (don't think I even banked miles on that flight or if I did they probably expired).
Old Nov 14, 2016, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
After reading these stories I must have really been lucky. Not so much lately but if I had to guess the AA OMA agents put me upfront over 50% of the time. Our most memorable upgrade was ORD-CDG, gate agent called my name and I told my wife this can only be good - I even think I was on an award ticket. AA used to really take good care of their elites, not so much now.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 1:56 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, AA GLD, DL FO, Natl Elite
I don't think I've ever received a "hey, I like your face" upgrade. I think it happened to me in SGF for Enterprise; I had booked an intermediate sedan and they gave me a Mustang. I believe this was after I'd lost my elite status. So I guess once.

I had a lot of fun in that thing.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I've had several comp UG's, most of them I have talked myself into.

My best ever was Y-->C EWR-CPH on SAS. I was on a flight that was leaking fuel and was canceled. Because SAS has a small staff so the folks that helped re-book everyone was working the following day. When I checked in the agent recognized me and was sympathetic to my day long delay, so when I asked if there were any Y+ seats available she happily gave me one. As soon as I get through security I want to the gate and said "Hey, I am in Y+, I was on that canceled flight from last night, do you have any open C seats??" BOOM
Old Nov 14, 2016, 2:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gmcc1
The cabin crew in my opinion were really full of themselves.
It was AF. 'Nuff said.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 2:36 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, AA GLD, DL FO, Natl Elite
Originally Posted by Madone59
I've had several comp UG's, most of them I have talked myself into.

My best ever was Y-->C EWR-CPH on SAS. I was on a flight that was leaking fuel and was canceled. Because SAS has a small staff so the folks that helped re-book everyone was working the following day. When I checked in the agent recognized me and was sympathetic to my day long delay, so when I asked if there were any Y+ seats available she happily gave me one. As soon as I get through security I want to the gate and said "Hey, I am in Y+, I was on that canceled flight from last night, do you have any open C seats??" BOOM
That's awesome. I tried that once and they (AA) said "sure, for X miles and a $350 co-pay."
Old Nov 14, 2016, 2:44 pm

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold
Been upgraded quite a few times! A few memorable ones:

-Had injured my ankle and was on crutches. Asked at MH check-in if I wanted to upgrade to business from Australia to Japan at a very discounted rate because of my injury. Said sure, but their credit card terminals wasn't working, so after 5mins they gave up and just upgraded me for free.
-On a flight from JFK to HKG on CX, was assigned the bulkhead seat in Y. For the first few hours, the older women were very impolite, putting their rubbish on my tray (while I was still using it), literally leaning on me etc. Luckily a FA noticed all of this so she asked if I would like to move, then led my up to the J cabin.
-Had noticed this beautiful girl in my hometown in AUS a few times, and turns out she was working check-in. Made small talk, and asked if she was interested in grabbing a drink or lunch when I was back next. She then handed me a boarding pass for J with her number written down on those baggage stickers!
-Waiting by my gate in HKG, one of the staff walked over and asked what I did for work. I was always vague with my job, so mentioned I worked (at the time) in the fashion industry. She turned around and pointed at a billboard and said "Is that you?", I said "Could be, kinda looks like me" and she laughed and walked away. During boarding, my ticket didn't scan so had to go to the desk. The same lady from before was there smiling and said "Can't have you being uncomfortable and looking terrible" and handed me a new boarding pass in J.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 3:02 pm

I was ticketed on a Delta flight last year, traveling from CAE-ATL-PDX. When I arrived at the airport to check my bag, the agent told me that they were looking for volunteers to switch to a different flight because my Atlanta flight was oversold. She said that if they needed my seat, they would switch me to a CAE-CLT-DTW-PDX routing, but even with an extra stop I would only get home 7 minutes later than scheduled.

I figured that would work - extra miles, extra segments.. With me as a lowly Silver Medallion, anything helps!

After thinking for a second though, I asked her what kind of seats I was likely to get? I had confirmed aisle seats already. I started losing interest in the deal when she told me that all she had was middle seats at the back.

Her supervisor overheard and came over to help. He first suggested that they just proactively move me to the new flights so that they could choose from what was currently available, rather than what was left at flight time. Then he noticed that the flight from CAE to CLT was already full, so I said that I would just stick with my original flight.

And then he says.... "How about this? How about if I put you in a taxi and drive you to Charlotte? And I know that is an inconvenience, so I will rebook you into 1st class for the CLT-DTW and DTW-PDX legs. And you still get home just 7 minutes later. And here, have some free drink coupons - they won't be useful for this trip, but maybe in the future...."

So, a free 90 minute taxi ride, first class coast to coast, and a handful of drink tickets. Not a bad haul for a Friday afternoon. As a side note, that taxi ride was one of the scariest car rides I have ever experienced. The driver was very friendly. He shared with me that he had arrived here from Ghana just 5 days before. Apparently they do things differently there....
Old Nov 14, 2016, 3:51 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
This September did OLCI ex YUL for a BA flight to LHR in Y.
I was assigned a different seat and did not like that.
Appeared there was a metal change form B788 to B789.
Did Manage My Booking and changed my seat to the original seat.
At YUL checked in my bags at baggage drop, a new boarding card got printed and noticed I was assigned the OTHER seat again.
I asked the checkin clerk "what the heck is this seat assignment?"
An upgrade to WT+ sir....
OK, flying BA on B788/B789 WT never again, I will pay more for a WT+ seat...

Besides that I have not been upgraded for many years, fly mostly paid J.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 4:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
AF CDG-JFK, I was booked in J, at boarding they handed me a new F BP. No idea why, had no AF status.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
10 yrs ago I got a random upgrade JFK to NRT on ANA. 30 yrs ago I got a random upgrade (I think due to overbooking) from biz to first NRT to somewhere in the US. These are back before the great seats on planes now. No flat beds or even close. Still nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.