Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why is the price different on Firefox than on Chrome (london airline)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2016, 2:50 am
Original Poster

I'm looking at a london airline's website, I look on both browers, I see the prices £10 more on the same website but on a different browser.

I keep selecting the next date for both keeping everything the same and it still acts like that.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 3:04 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Possibly the cookies you have on one of the browsers. What happens if you go into Incognito/Private mode?
Old Nov 13, 2016, 3:11 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
What is a london airline?
Old Nov 13, 2016, 8:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by nux
Bakerloo line?
Old Nov 13, 2016, 9:01 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
A more accurate epithet for BA than "British"?
Old Nov 13, 2016, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
IIRC, there was something like that in the past where prices for those using Safari were higher than for those using pedestrian Windows browsers.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 5:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
IIRC, there was something like that in the past where prices for those using Safari were higher than for those using pedestrian Windows browsers.
You're most likely thinking of the outrage where Mac users were shown higher priced properties by default. But they weren't shown higher rates for the same property.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 1:05 am
haa

Programs: No more status, free agent now
Originally Posted by nux
Maybe the Emirates Air Line in London (notice space in name), a cable car across the Thames river? No FF miles from that, I think...

Back to the topic:

There have been many examples over the years where the browser or cookies or being logged in or not have had an effect on prices. Also the country where you are accessing the site from (where your IP address is) can have an effect.

Also some sites have had different prices depending on where you come from: If you arrive e.g. using a link from certain cheap deals websites, they show those cheaper prices, which they don't show if you just go to the main site directly.

I guess it's all market segmenting i.e. trying to offer things to each person at the highest price they are willing to pay.

I have a few times cleared my cookies for a OTA website, logged out, or just gone to an "cheap deals" site and click thru there to a main OTA site, and gotten a better deal.

It is bit unclear if the "hourly wage" i.e. saving per time spent was high enough to worry about all that, though. The "pay more to spend of your less time" is the main market segmentation method, though.

When booking, I usually check a few different web sites, including ITA matrix and and the airline's own website, just to make sure the price I'm seeing is reasonable and not out of the norm.

Hmmm, Maybe FT is in this category, too: if I can save $100 after spending a few hours on FT, would I have been better off spending time on something else and paying more? (Nah, I just think of this all as a hobby and don't count the hours).

There are a lot of interesting blogs, articles and podcasts on this topic, search with "opportunity cost" and "market segmentation" and "yield management", if you are interested (or want to spend even more time ;-) I have found learning about these things very interesting, though, and useful for work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.