Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Theft on the security belt

Theft on the security belt

Old Nov 9, 16, 9:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, AF Silver
That is a complicated scam with a good chance to get caught - it takes two people who have boarding passes, doing it in front of cameras, after having had their BPs scanned by TSA, to get a briefcase that, what, has a camera or laptop at most? I am skeptical how often that really happens.

I am more concerned of someone accidentally taking my stuff. That said, I do keep an eye on it while I am going through the detecter.
Old Nov 9, 16, 9:10 am

this seems much more a theft of opportunity, than an orchestrated scam. it isn't hard to imagine someone thinking, "oh, i'll take these and see if i can find the owner, but if not, oh well, they are nice so i'll keep them."

at least in the US, you need a BP plus ID to get to the security checkpoint, and there is no real way to guarantee you'll be close to someone who has something worth stealing, or that you'll have the opportunity to steal it.
Old Nov 10, 16, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by se7en_z View Post
I'd suggest paying the $100 to get the global entry (good for 5 years). That way, you can breeze through security when traveling domestic. This will cut the risk significantly.
airline needs to support TSAPre as well

and in some airports/offpeak, TSAPre and normal passengers are funneled to the same line. TSAPre get to use metal detectors instead of the scanners, but there's still a chance of build up/issues
Old Nov 11, 16, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by k374 View Post
The Real Hustle: The Laptop Scam - YouTube

What I would suggest is putting your laptop etc. in a bag that is easily distinguishable, that is what I do... I never use generic looking luggage, even for my checked in luggage I always try to put stickers and stuff on it to make it different.
I also do the same, but I don't put stickers. Instead, I put markings at the bottom part.

Thanks for the other comments, btw.