Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Longest flight you have taken?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2016, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Longest flight you have taken?

In 3 weeks I am going to take LAX-AUH (Etihad EY170) which is going to be my longest flight ever at 16hrs 30mins or so which makes it the world's 4th or 5th longest commercial flight on the 777-200LR. Prior to this LAX-CAN on China Southern was my longest which was almost 15 hours.

Questions - what is the longest flight you have taken? What was the experience like? How many times did you get up to walk along the aisle during this time? What frequency were meals served?
Old Oct 20, 2016, 11:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Platinum, and assorted hotel loyalty schemes.
DFW-SYD flying in J on Qantas. I got up a few times, but mostly I slept (more than half of the flight time), read, watched a movie, and ate.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 11:44 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
I am doing AKL-DOH next year, which, at 17h30 is reportedly going to be the longest commercial flight in the world.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 12:33 pm

Programs: MR Platinum, and a certain status at an unnamed airline
EWR-HKG in CX J. Typically I have trouble sleeping on flights, but after a LONG day, I ended up sleeping for about 12 hours. Couldn't have asked for a better flight.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did ORD-DEL in AA F in early 2009. It was about 15 hours as I recall. I slept about 9 hours of it.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 1:16 pm

EWR-SIN in SQ executive economy (~19 hours) 10 years ago... slept most of the way, IFE was good (hey, it was 2006)

you might get a chance to do this in 2018. saving my miles for this, didnt know about FT 10 years ago
Old Oct 20, 2016, 1:58 pm
JTK

Programs: AAdvantage EP
DFW - HKG, JFK- HKG and ORD - DEL were the longest flights I have been on. Mostly slept and watched movies, read. Just got to learn to settle in.

One bonus, JFK - LHR is now a short flight.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 2:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
ORD – HKG

ORD – HKG in poor man’s business (exit row when UA was serving free booz). Two main meals with a “snack” e.g. noodles in the middle. Slept, ate, drank, and watched videos on archaic 747 screens (2006).
Old Oct 20, 2016, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
ATL-JNB RT.

It was fine; slept much of the way. Plenty of food, drinks as needed.

It takes four pilots and two separate flight crews to handle Delta Flight 200 from Atlanta, Ga., to Johannesburg, South Africa. The Boeing 777LR used to make this trip travels 8,433 miles between the two cities and consumes almost 40,000 gallons of fuel. Meanwhile, when it comes to needing sustenance, the plane isn't alone. On board this 16-hour-and-15-minute flight, passengers annually consume approximately 70,000 cans of soda, 100,000 bags of pretzels, 200,000 bags of peanuts, and a half-million pounds of ice.
I get up and walk around fairly frequently when not sleeping.

http://travel.usnews.com/features/Wo...ngest_Flights/
Old Oct 20, 2016, 2:05 pm

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
I have done DXB-SYD, DXB-MEL, DXB-BNE, all flights of 14 + hours.

Next year, I plan to do AKL-DXB, which is 17+ hours, the second longest flight in the world, with AKL-DOH being the longest.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 2:06 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
QF8 J DFW-SYD, 16:44 in the air, beating AKL-DXB by 9 minutes, so longest flight in the world that day. Tried to stay up as late as possible to force myself into the new time zone so spent 2 hours eating and watching TV shows, then ~3 hours watching Interstellar and another 2 hours editing pictures from a previous trip. Slept a solid 7.5 hours before breakfast service started, so it worked out almost perfectly, minus the whole getting up at 4:30AM destination time.

Next up would be HKG-JFK (twice) in CX J, both on 846 so decent for sleep, and DXB-ATL DL J. I assume I'll eventually fly ATL-JNB or vice versa in DL J as well.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paperwastage
EWR-SIN in SQ executive economy (~19 hours) 10 years ago...
19 hours? That is insane I think those who can sleep well on planes do well with these types of flights. But sleeping 12+ hrs in a seating position can't be any good for your health.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by k374
19 hours? That is insane I think those who can sleep well on planes do well with these types of flights. But sleeping 12+ hrs in a seating position can't be any good for your health.
was young then... (not sure about now? who knows)

and it's SQ... you're pampered enough, even though it's executive economy and not F/J

did LAX-SYD (15 hours) this year in economy... survived
Old Oct 20, 2016, 2:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I'm doing JFK-YVR-HKG next month and that's down as 21hrs (includes taxiing and a short stop at Vancouver although I'll probably stay on the plane).
Old Oct 20, 2016, 2:57 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

According to flight memory, my longest flight by distance was LAX-BKK. Though, I'm pretty sure the longest by time was EWR-HKG...or a tie with the above.

Longest itinerary without delays/a place to sleep besides the plane (and even then...) might have been DMK-SIN-FRA-JFK-IAD, or KIX-SFO-LAS-IAH-GUA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.