Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Wouldn't aircraft balance be improved if First Class were in the back?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wouldn't aircraft balance be improved if First Class were in the back?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2016, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by WorldLux
Over-wing jet bridges have been in use at some airports, but are generally dismissed as being to expensive and risky to operate. KL sometimes use them in AMS.
And even those don't use the aft door but rather one more towards the middle. (Tough technically that is the aft boarding door on the 744M.)

Amsterdam has over the wing jet bridges, but I haven't seen them in action that often. Furthermore they don't seem to work with every aircraft type.
So far as I know they are (now) exclusively used with 747s (and maybe 773s but this is rare). There are 6 of them left (E20/22/24, G3/4/6); there used to be quite a lot more but the rest has been converted to non-overwing dual-jetways. Presumably these last 6 will meet the same fate.

Last edited by CyBeR; Oct 13, 2016 at 9:37 am
Old Oct 13, 2016, 10:55 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
A 10 year old article show over the wing jet bridges at DEN...pretty neat I had no idea that these ever existed, so interesting to see they are still around in AMS and used to be in the US. ^ Always something to learn on FlyerTalk.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 11:43 am

Programs: AC P25
Originally Posted by CPRich

I don't think I've even seen W&B issues on widebodies, so no idea which direction they move people.
Not the largest I know but On a lightly loaded AC 767 last year everyone in Y ahead of row 20 was moved back for take off. No idea if it's common!
Old Oct 13, 2016, 2:05 pm

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by CPRich
I don't think I've even seen W&B issues on widebodies, so no idea which direction they move people.
I've been on a few VS flights out of Boston on I think it was an A330 (could have been an a340) where they had all the economy passengers sit in the back cabin for takeoff - you couldn't even select seats in the next to last cabin. Once the seat belt sign came off they encouraged us to spread out. We didn't have to move back for landing.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 7:13 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Flying a lot at the pointy end I don't want to be at the back - the turbulence is noticeably worse at the bar
Old Oct 15, 2016, 8:37 am

Programs: BAEC brown
Wouldn't airplanes be safer if airlines located business and first classes at the rear of the aircraft rather than at the front?
To answer the OPs question it's not the airlines who decide where the safe limits are for the center of gravity. That job falls with the relevant authorities when the type gets certified.

After this the airliner will not be allowed to fly with the CG out of the forward or aft limits and therefore it is always safe.

Conventional aircraft will fly more efficiently when the CG is as far back as possible, naturally if it were too far back the then plane would be uncontrollable. The reverse also causes problems, a CG too far forward and the aircraft is not controllable enough (I.e too stable). This is why each aircraft type has certified limits.

Airlines will most likely try to get the CG as far back as they can (to the limit) in order to fly more efficiently. An aft CG means you need less stabilator deflection and therefore there is less drag. Having economy down the back normally helps with this.

Cheers

Deadgiveaway
Old Oct 15, 2016, 5:25 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Simple

Be like Frankfurt and transport First Class Passengers in Private Transport direct from their Lounge to The Rear Door.

Build High-end Covered Steps with built-in Escalators

I recall flying in a BA/BEA Vanguard and First Class was in the rear

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/286823069989477805/

If you boarded through the rear door, Coach/Economy turned Left and First Class turned Right as the steps were about 80% along from the front

http://www.britishairways.com/assets...1960_69_38.jpg
Old Oct 16, 2016, 2:36 am

Personally I prefer the steps at the Royal terminals at Jeddah and Riyadh with the fitted red carpet.

I dont seem to get that now with BA under Mr Cruz.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 2:30 pm

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
No. Weight and Balance isn't about putting more weight up front and less in back. Weight and balance is about making sure the aircraft is about not exceeding gross takeoff weight limits while making sure the center of gravity does not exceed CG limits and remains within the envelope within which the aircraft will operate properly (i.e. not stall). The placement everything, including F up front, has been taken into account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.