Search

Anybody flying on 9/11?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2016, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Anybody flying on 9/11?

Logic tells me it may be the safest day to fly, as airport security will be tight. And in the past I've found that airports and planes tend to be less crowded But still gives me the creeps even though I'm not superstitious ...
Old Sep 9, 2016, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA: Plat, Marriott: Annual Ambassador, Lifetime Grandfather
My first flight after 9/11/2001 was 11/9/2001...And nothing went wrong.

I will be flying my normal UA 2000, ORD->IAD on 9/11/2016. I expect nothing to go wrong, just as I expect nothing to go wrong any other Sunday that I'm on UA 2000.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not this year, but have done in 2011 (short hop domestic) and again in 2014 (long haul west coast to europe).
Airport was relatively quiet and plane seemed subdued in 2011, not so much in 2014.
No mention made on board (by the crew) either flight.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 1:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Logic tells me it may be the safest day to fly, as airport security will be tight. And in the past I've found that airports and planes tend to be less crowded
It is just another day. Security has been no different IME nor have flight loads that vary from other days I travel.

But still gives me the creeps even though I'm not superstitious ...
This statement is not internally consistent. If it gives you the creeps then you are superstitious, even if you type that you are not. :-:
Old Sep 9, 2016, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Logic tells me it may be the safest day to fly, as airport security will be tight. And in the past I've found that airports and planes tend to be less crowded But still gives me the creeps even though I'm not superstitious ...
Yes I will be flying.

Although I don't think the reasoning that there will be extra security is all that sound.

There is more fear because people put unnecessary significance on numbers and dates..an attack could happen any day, and the odds are not greater on 9/11.

I have flown on 9/11 a lot actually, but not by design, only by coincidence. I flew on 9/11 2002, and I can tell you that during the 1 year anniversary, there were much smaller numbers of people at the airport and on the flight. I even had open middles beside me on 9/11 in 2004, 2005, and 2007. But after that it didn't really seem less crowded on 9/11 in my travels. People tend not to fear it as much as they did.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 2:58 pm

Had to go check.

Flew last year from HKG to HAN on 11 Sept.

Clearly the date never registered at any point.

Though of course it might have been different had I been flying to/fr/in the USA.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
I'm not, this year, and haven't in the past several years, but that's just because it tends to fall in the second week of classes and I want to be around for that. If I had someplace to go, flying was the best way to get there, and that was the best date to fly, I would without hesitation.

(I flew back home from London on 9/9/2001, two days before the event. Made me wonder "what if ...?" at the time.)
Old Sep 9, 2016, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Have a couple times mainly when it has fallen on a Monday or Thursday (and in both cases a few years removed from 9/11/2001). The significance has briefly crossed my mind but from a general standpoint just like sbm12 notes it has always just seemed like another day.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Not this yes, though I have in the past. A bagpiper playing in the airport (Toronto? Calgary? I know it was Canada) in 2002 at the time of the first collapse was a bit spooky. But other than that they've been normal travel days.

Nothing like flying on the first(?) flight out of SFO on 9/13/2001 - I still remember the complete silence of the entire airport, even though there were plenty of people standing in very long lines.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
A close friend was in Santa Barbara, California, for an academic conference and had to get home to the Boston area. When it seemed like nothing was going to fly for a while, she found a couple of others in the same boat and they rented a car. They were around Kansas City when planes went back into the air, so they returned the car and flew from there. She found it a bit eerie, but otherwise uneventful.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 3:56 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Last time I flew on 9/11 was 9/11/11. I was in Detroit. I googled it and there is actually a thread about it:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...w-detroit.html

Not only were all flights delayed, the TSA agents were questioning anyone in the gate areas that looked suspicious (i.e. Middle Eastern looking). I was questioned by the TSA and the Detroit police simply because I was waiting in the gate area for my flight. I felt intimidated and a little frightened. I also remember not being able to get any service (wifi or cell signal) at the terminal. That was a long Sunday.

I wouldn't be afraid to fly on 9/11 because of terrorism, but I would worry more about crazy delays like that incident. I was stuck in DTW for hours.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 5:10 pm

I flew into the U.S. a few years ago in September and my return flight to Europe was on 9/11. The immigration officer I faced when entering the U.S. made a point of questioning me about flying on that day which was a bit unpleasant given the tone and implication.

The flight on 9/11 itself turned out to be completely normal, no extra security or anything.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 6:12 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Not this year, but last year I was on an ORD-MAD flight on 9/11. Another year I think I was on an LHR-ORD flight. I'm sure I've flown some other years, too.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
I am: LNK-DEN-SAN. It's just another day at the airport.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 7:21 pm

Programs: none
It's bad luck to be superstitious.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.