Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What's the strangest thing you've seen in hotel minibar?

Old Aug 15, 2016, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium

Hotel minibars are being really creative. Sure, condoms and intimacy kits are popping up in more and more places...but do you know of anything particularly unusual or unique that you've seen in your travels?
Old Aug 15, 2016, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Are we searching for strange things intentionally put in the minibar by hotel staff, or strange things surprisingly found in minibars in general?
Old Aug 16, 2016, 7:25 am

How about socks and pantyhose (called socks for women in the minibar price list):

Last edited by jackebofh; Aug 16, 2016 at 11:00 am Reason: Inline image
Old Aug 16, 2016, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Oh, my. Not sure how I can phrase this politely. The first part is easy.

A few years ago, my husband and I were having some interior design work done on our apartment while we were away for a month. The apartment was not ready for move-in by the time we got back, so we found a nice, friendly hotel that we could move into for about six weeks after we got back. They gave us a very favorable price. It happened to be a hotel that caters primarily to a gay clientele. So, my husband and I picked up the cat on the way home from the airport, and settled into our large, comfortable room.

As we began poking around what was available in the mini-bar menu, we noticed that the "intimacy kit" contained a few items we had never heard of (we are middle-aged, and have been married a looonnng time -- I think the only reason we know about blue pills and such is television). Anyway, the intimacy kit contained some sort of herbal "supplement" that made you last longer, among other interesting things (including lots of different types of condoms, of course --safety first!).
Old Aug 16, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: Currently: UA 1K | Previously: AS MVPG75K, SPG Gold, Kimpton IC, HH Gold
Originally Posted by jackebofh
How about socks and pantyhoes (called socks for women in the minibar price list):
I believe you mean "pantyhose." Let's chalk that up to a typo, and not an attempt on your part to innovate on existing slang. And if it's the latter, one can only speculate as to what the definition is...
Old Aug 16, 2016, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by felixmendelssohn
I believe you mean "pantyhose." Let's chalk that up to a typo, and not an attempt on your part to innovate on existing slang. And if it's the latter, one can only speculate as to what the definition is...
It indeed was a typo, as i was looking for appropriate picture and typing on a second screen, but i admit i got mildly interested in the definition of that one! ;-)

Thanks for catching it, though!
Old Aug 16, 2016, 11:25 am

Programs: LH M+M
The "thing" was 'air only'.

Apparently there was a lack in process that after replacing a failed mini-fridge a refill is needed :-).
Old Aug 16, 2016, 11:46 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Mistake #1: I brought the mother in law to Shenzhen (but not the father in law). My parents, too.

Mistake #2: We did not stay in the Shangri-La, but the place George H.W. Bush stayed. (Not being political...but the place felt like it was from 90s China in not a good way.)

Effect: My parents checked us out while the rest of the group was at Windows-of-the-World, and apparently there was something missing from one of the mini bars. I asked the Mrs, she said no. I asked my parents what was missing, and it was a condom from the minibar in the MILs room.

Because I'm naturally awkward, I asked the MIL if she used a condom last night. Apparently she took a condom from the minibar because she thought it was great that the Chinese were so focused on health education.

Next time? I'll take her to Hawaii.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 12:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

One of the hotels on my travel circuit actually has a condom bowl sitting on the front desk.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 12:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've seen local hotels in China have male and female underwear in the minibar. It's apparently one size fits all stretch synthetic material, IIRC in blue and pink.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 12:48 pm

the condom at the Hotel de Paris- Monte Carlo was $9
At that price we decided to abstain
Old Aug 18, 2016, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jackebofh
How about socks and pantyhose (called socks for women in the minibar price list):

Haha, what hotel is this?
Old Aug 18, 2016, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Haha, what hotel is this?
Supposedly the best hotel in Moldova - Radisson Blu Leogrand, Chisinau.

I highly recommend the hotel, though. It was great.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
[removed by moderator]

....I think it was the CP in Manila but I may have the hotel wrong, it might have been the Shangri-La.

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Aug 18, 2016 at 8:50 pm
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I’ve seen a chocolate covered grasshopper in Paris, doggie treats at the Kimpton, pickles, walking and selfie sticks, and bow ties. Anyone seen anything else creative recently? I’ve also noticed more hotels displaying their minibars in the desk rather than hiding them away.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.