Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Tips for Avoiding Seatback IFE

Old Aug 10, 2016, 1:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference

I really never thought I'd post this, but I'm developing something of an allergy to IFE systems. Basically, I've found that if there isn't a digital screen in front of me I enjoy a flight more (especially since even if I shut my screen off, invariably there's one on next to me). The best analogy I can come up with is that of why I don't like sports bars: Even if the TV is muted, the digital screen distracts me.

So, is there any advice for avoiding seatback IFE systems on major carriers (I'm mainly thinking DL since I fly them more than the other larger domestic carriers...VX excepted, and mercifully in F their screens hide in the armrest ad don't come out to play if you don't want them to)?
Old Aug 10, 2016, 7:08 am

How about simply turning the Screen off?

I have never seen an IFE system where the screen could not be turned off.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 7:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by bacchus85
How about simply turning the Screen off?

I have never seen an IFE system where the screen could not be turned off.
The neighboring seat(s) may be occupied and have the IFE screen on.

The solution for some is to use blindfolds. Delta seems to give them out even in economy class to all its passengers on its TATL and TPAC flights.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 8:43 am

some airplanes IFEs have bad viewing angles/privacy filters, so neighbor screens don't affect you that much

but yeah, blindfolds (cheap) + NC earphones($50-$300)/earplugs($5) should be in your flight bag
Old Aug 10, 2016, 9:20 am

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
When you are booking a flight on Delta it should have a series of icons next the flight - or you can click on the flight number which will also bring up the icons. Those icons will tell you if there is IFE and whether it is setback or overhead.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 11:14 am

Programs: WN A List Preferred and CP, AA, IHG Spire, Hertz #1 Gold 5*, Hilton Diamond, Enterprise Platinum
Avoiding IFE

Fly on Southwest! No IFE there...
Old Aug 10, 2016, 11:17 am

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Any new United 737 would be a great start. No IFE there. Or their aging Airbus A3xx, most of them are dark as well. Or their geriatric 747 fleet with the TV's on the ceiling.

In fact I can thoroughly recommend United for a lack of seatback IFE.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 11:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Book a bulkhead seat.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Thanks for the advice...it's actually quite useful.

As mentioned, the issue is that I'll usually want to poke away on my computer or read a book, so blindfolds are sort of a non-starter since I don't know Braille (and no, that's not me being snarky). On my present B6 flight we ended up with a plane swap (E190 replaced by A320) and the result has been a load factor right out of the 1970s (EMS is all but empty and as far as I can tell they threw some non-revs into an exit row to avoid a problem; and the rest of the plane has about a 75% load factor...I nearly had 8A-C all to myself, but a last-second standby pax got tossed in with me) so I was able to kill my IFE and the one next to me...but I had to cut them off about three times to make it "stick". On the bright side, B6 didn't have a safety video that was "trying too hard" on this flight (IMHO VX's is amusing and ear-wormy [in a way I appreciate], but DL/UA's just get annoying).

It sounds like United is probably my best bet on this front (regional jets aside). One thing I'll say is that a bulkhead seat is no guarantee of this...if I'm in row 1 on DL (and IIRC the front MCS row on VX is the same way), all that gets me is an IFE screen that's inconveniently far away and thus harder to turn off.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Air Canada's "rouge" low-cost subsidiary, which flies to Europe, the Caribbean and Japan (besides many US destinations) has no seatback IFE.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 1:26 am

Pilot's instrument training hood:

https://www.amazon.com/ASA-H2G-Jiffy...rds=Pilot+hood
Old Aug 11, 2016, 9:04 am

First world problems.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 12:37 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Surprised no one has said fly some Legacy US Air planes! Although with cross fleeting it will be a little harder, but take some flights through CLT or PHX and you'll have no worries
Old Aug 14, 2016, 10:36 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by rob0225
First world problems.
This is a frequent flyer website, what do you expect other than mostly first world problems? That response is no longer funny or original.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Spirit is also IFE-less. Also haven't seen it lately on Frontier.

You know you're a real introvert when you can do an entire 12- or 13-hour transpac with the IFE either off or on "flight plan" the whole time.^ There's reading, sleep, meals, and a lot of time trying to sleep but it being outside your circadian rhythm. If you have enough thoughts swirling in that tired-but-not-quite asleep mode and don't need to turn on the IFE, there's a good chance you're an introvert. Which in that situation can be advantageous.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.