Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What's the ONE thing you must take with you on every trip?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the ONE thing you must take with you on every trip?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2016, 12:37 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
QC25s unless I'm going on a backcountry trip where I'll have to carry everything I'm bringing with me.

10,000 mAh battery pack is with me 99% of the time - you never know where you'll find your next power outlet and a phone is an invaluable aid when travelling.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Apart from the obvious (phone, passport, wallet / CC) it's my QC25s.

Those things (and the QC15s I had before them) improve my quality of travel more than any other single object.

If checking a bag and flying internationally, at least 1 change of clothes in the carry-on is a must too.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 10:36 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Beside myself, means for travel and/or paying for travel to a place where I can attain more resources in a timely manner.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 11:00 am

Programs: ::US,UA,CO+ currently non-rev Plat
baby nail clippers... hands get torn up and dried out on trips, need to clip off those hangnails before they get bad or I try to bite them off. Don't want to be on a long flight or bus ride without the clippers

second would be wet wipes. Preferably the blue Walmart Equate branded ones. Backup would be the yellow CVS Toddler ones. Travel in enough foreign countries and you find these are a lifesaver. My spouse forgot to bring them this past weekend when we were out on the trail in a dry climate and I had to resort to more primitive methods...
Old Aug 13, 2016, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
I (fortunately) have never had a bad experience during travel like some of the folks that have posted, but I still always travel with this:
Old Aug 14, 2016, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
I (fortunately) have never had a bad experience during travel like some of the folks that have posted, but I still always travel with this:

[Photo of Pepto-Bismol]
Agreed, antacid is a must. I had this issue on a trip last year. 4AM and heartburn. Since I have heartburn about twice a year, it never occurred to me to bring a few tablets in my travel pack. It is now a staple in my toiletry bag, even though I know I'll probably never need it again.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 10:17 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

[Pepto bismol image]

Over the years, I've had to buy Pepto Bismol in several countries. Mexico, the EU, Turkey, and Peru, on various occasions, all required pink tablets to soothe my stomach. Now I carry the tablets, just in case.

But, when I was in Hong Kong earlier this year, a place with a pharmacy on nearly every corner, I had no luck finding Pepto Bismol type products. The vendors truly had no idea what it was, and looked it up on the internet to figure it out. They didn't have it, and I ended up with a Chinese version of herbal-take-with-hot-water-3x-a-day stomach ache pills. That gave me quite an insight into just how different Western and Eastern medicine really is.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 12:22 pm
Suspended

I've read on FT that some people bring bed sheets with them because they don't want to sleep on the hotel sheets.

I have a generic packing list which helps prevent forgetting things. It's grouped into rooms, like bathroom, desk, closet, misc.

Bathroom items include toothbrush. Desk items include tickets (if any), flight info, passport, transit cards (like Oyster, Metrocard, Compass, etc). Closet = clothes. Misc = nail clipper.

Not everything on the list is taken on every trip.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Prescription meds -- migraine prevention. If you've ever had a migraine, you'll know why.
Sunglasses. I'm a vampire (see migraine comment above).
Beauty products and cosmetics (I'm vain).
iPad and iPhone.
One pair undies and one extra top.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 4:21 pm

Aside from the obvious, I take Compeed blister plasters.

I walk a fair bit on vacation, and I learned very quickly that having some way to prevent/treat blisters was absolutely essential for me. So they go into both the backpack and the roller first thing.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 7:43 pm

Kalderlake,

I'm planning to do the Camino Frances next year. I've heard there are better products than Compeed. Is it merely a regional preference, or is there a particular reason to use Compeed?

Chuck
Old Aug 16, 2016, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

nothing? because passport is not required for domestic

can fly domestic without ID though ive not done so (since 9/11)

ah - the clothes on my back, those are kind of important
Old Aug 16, 2016, 12:11 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
nothing? because passport is not required for domestic

can fly domestic without ID though ive not done so (since 9/11)
You don't need a passport but don't you still need to show some i.d at the security checkpoint (driver's licence, etc.)? I know you do in Canada. Or is the TSA too obsessed with shampoo and shoes to bother verifying identification?
Old Aug 16, 2016, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by CKA1
Kalderlake,

I'm planning to do the Camino Frances next year. I've heard there are better products than Compeed. Is it merely a regional preference, or is there a particular reason to use Compeed?

Chuck
I used a few different products before discovering the Compeeds (also available from Polysporin in Canada--the exact same product).

And they work very well for me. So well that I'd hesitate to use any other.

They're much better than the Dr. Scholl's version, and larger and thicker than the Band-Aid brand (at least the one's I found).

I can only recommend trying the Compeed, and then trying the other(s).
Old Aug 16, 2016, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Low Roller
You don't need a passport but don't you still need to show some i.d at the security checkpoint (driver's licence, etc.)? I know you do in Canada. Or is the TSA too obsessed with shampoo and shoes to bother verifying identification?
can fly without ID in US >
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...identification
http://blog.tsa.gov/2013/04/tsa-trav...n-you-fly.html

i might not want to answer the questions
BUT in that case trip dosn't require flight

i've done domestic RT flights with ID & CC
can pre-pay all expenses in advance
can get cash from bank with just ID
(or maybe if bank manager knows you)

general aviation differs from commercial
train, bus, car, boat (not cruise), bike, foot

can't leave home without

MUST take with you whenever you travel, and you're never able to find a local equivalent that's just as good.
but not all trips are the same, especially on FT

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 16, 2016 at 5:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.