Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What do you think about business class amenity kits?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2016, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

I am constantly annoyed by the number of amenity kits being left on the seats every time I leave the business class cabins. Some passengers might just take one or two items out of the kit and the rest goes to the trash bin. To me it is more than the money side of thing but about being environmentally unfriendly. So I am thinking it might be a good idea for airlines to stop distributing amenity items in the form of kit sets but instead providing them on a request basis/in the washrooms (just like what SQ is doing in J Class).

What would you think if premium airlines like EK CX QR QF stop distributing amenity kits but providing them on a request basis/in washrooms? Would that affect your overall impression towards the airline, or even more so, stop you from taking the airline?
Old Jul 20, 2016, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Gold
I agree. Grab one if you want one, and don't if you don't. I rarely use the contents of the bags, but I do like to use the bags afterwards to carry toiletries and stuff.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:04 pm

Are you sure they're not reused? I noticed on one (EK) that it had a little breakaway tab so you could tell when it had been opened. It made me hope they gather up the unopened ones for the next flight. They had half the stuff in the lav anyway.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 2:30 am

Programs: *G
ive no idea what to do with all the gels and creams and lotions and chapstick and etc in there.

would prefer put a higher quality toothbrush, paste, and mouth wash in it. basically a dental kit.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by nonstarter
Are you sure they're not reused? I noticed on one (EK) that it had a little breakaway tab so you could tell when it had been opened. It made me hope they gather up the unopened ones for the next flight. They had half the stuff in the lav anyway.
Most kits I have seen in the last two to three years were sealed and I guess if the seals haven't been broken won't be disposed but reused.

Originally Posted by deniah
ive no idea what to do with all the gels and creams and lotions and chapstick and etc in there.
True - and compression socks, another cheap sleeping mask, bad quality ear plugs... I wouldn't even open the SAS kit if they wouldn't insist on putting the headphones in there and still had a proprietary connector (not a single adapter I bought was a good fit) in some of their planes.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 3:57 am

Those kits are in your price guarantee, no refund
Old Jul 21, 2016, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I agree that I'd rather just have a dental kit and be done with it.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 5:25 am

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
I have a drawer full of AK's at home (probably over 100). Once I realized I had a problem, I started leaving them on the plane in a strategic location in the hopes that the waifs and strays from economy will scoop one as they shuffle up the aisle....

The only one I really really use daily are the blue AA amenity bags from the 90's. They are perfect for a pair of shoes or to keep my kippie bag in (yes, it's leaked something often enough that a bagging is in order...)..
Old Jul 21, 2016, 6:28 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
I keep all the sleep suits, some are better than others but as far as "freebies" go they are the most useful. None of the Elemis or Givenchy bit's I've spread on my face from those tubes has made me look a day younger - but then none are miracles.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 6:30 am

What annoys me are terrible quality poor excuse for a toothbrush... if it were good I'd probably end up using it for a month or two, instead 99% of them head straight for the trash unused
Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by triplesevens
I am constantly annoyed by the number of amenity kits being left on the seats every time I leave the business class cabins. Some passengers might just take one or two items out of the kit and the rest goes to the trash bin. To me it is more than the money side of thing but about being environmentally unfriendly.
You are sitting in a great carbon belching behemoth flying in the ozone and are "constantly annoyed" about the environmental impact of someone not using the lip balm in a business class amenity kit. Seriously?

Perhaps you should fly economy? Smaller carbon footprint on a per-capita basis compared to business and usually no amenity kit. No more annoyance!
Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by Badenoch
You are sitting in a great carbon belching behemoth flying in the ozone and are "constantly annoyed" about the environmental impact of someone not using the lip balm in a business class amenity kit. Seriously?

Perhaps you should fly economy? Smaller carbon footprint on a per-capita basis compared to business and usually no amenity kit. No more annoyance!
Well said ^^
Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:01 am

Amen, Badenoch! I like the amenity kits & the airlines would just love to cut corners one more way to save themselves a few pennies. If you don't like them, don't use them & they will be put out for the next passengers.

I like trying the products, too.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:11 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
In J I'd be fine if they just stocked the lavs with sealed dental kits, disposable earplugs and eye masks. Maybe some lip balm. Even with an F kit, that's all I ever end up using. I've already got a closet full of amenity bags that I should probably throw away at some point.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL Plat; SPG Plat
Many threads on FT can be considered #firstworldproblems, but for some reason, I find this one especially comical today. I'm plenty guilty myself, of course...just commenting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.