Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How do I make myself want to travel less?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do I make myself want to travel less?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2017, 7:37 am

I feel for you OP. You could try to enter travel contests. If you use a form filler and focus on just the travel ones, it shouldn't be too time consuming. I would think 15 - 20 minutes a day once you get used to how to do them quickly.

I definitely agree with the others about possibly changing jobs or even relocating to an area that will have less expensive flights to places that you'd like to see.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 7:06 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Live somewhere more interesting.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
Live somewhere more interesting.
Good one lol
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by daKav
That is life this side of the pond
Yes, you should save money it will help you to fly to other new countries.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:02 am
haa

Programs: No more status, free agent now
Originally Posted by Madone59
Pick one trip [...] spend all year getting excited for the next one.
+1. I find that if I have some trip booked, I feel happy and look forward to it, doesn't seem to matter if it is just a shorthaul weekend or longer longhaul trip. So I just the next one latest when getting back from the previous trip. Often I book something cheap 6-11 months ahead, providing a lot of time to look forward to it and make plans (e.g. book something you need to book long in advance, like inside access to climb the statue of liberty, etc).

I used to travel a lot (100k+ miles annually in economy for several years for me all around the world) and that was fun while it lasted, but now I enjoy more time at home, and the occasional work trip and some vacation trips is still fun.

I think "crazy travel" is a phase of life you can enjoy, but then you can move on.

Bonus thought: I have been able to use the FT-fu gained during the travel-heavy years to make travel easier, find cheap flight routings, optimize chance of op-ups, and lounge access, so the "mad travel skillz" have proved useful for the long term ;-) Thanks FT!
Old Aug 29, 2017, 1:42 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Good one lol
There's some truth to it, plus a compulsive element of wanting to pounce on good deals or use points optimally. Ultimately, it depends on what you want to your life to be about. I'm semi-retired and childless, so what else am I going to spend my time and money on? I figure I'll eventually get bored with it and settle down. If I were in my 20s and neglecting a career to travel, it would be different.

It also depends on what you consider to be a lot. I'm at maybe twice monthly and my peers act like I'm a jet-setting instagram star, even though it's mostly cheap domestic travel at threadbare Hiltons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.