Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Horror stories due to terrible travel companions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2018, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I admit I'm really too selfish to travel with anyone else mostly because of fear of flying with a kettle(s). I couldn't take it.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: BA GfL
This may not rise to the level of a horror story but it is emblematic of some of the things that make me cringe with some travel companions: last Saturday I was in the tiny town of Jean Lafitte, LA (just 30 minutes outside New Orleans but kind of a world away). My friend Gloria was visiting from Philadelphia and we were at a ridiculously fun local event, the annual pirogue races. Among other things, she felt the need to point out (a) the fact that one of the spectator boats was flying a Confederate flag, and (b) the theory that she and I were possibly the only Jews that many of the other spectators had ever seen. Mind you, this was in the middle of a substantial crowd of seriously down-home bayou Louisianans who were super nice and funny, although they might have been less nice if they’d heard what she said. I quickly told her to put a sock in it. Sigh. You can THINK things, but you don’t have to say them!
Old Jul 23, 2018, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by rickg523
Let me guess. You work in HR?
Your shot landed way too far, dude. IT/Networking/Datacenter/Cloud/DevOps engineer with >25 years of experience in field.

I simply don't like unpredictability and hate surprises, even good ones.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 11:41 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Where was this wedding? Antarctica?

Dreams Resort. 5 people.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by OTD
I used to be in a group of 10-20 guys who would meet in Las Vegas every year. We developed rules, one of the most significant being that one person just picks up each bill, whether it be restaurant, taxi or whatever. None of this "well, I just had the cottage cheese and iced tea" stuff for us. We were all friends, and we knew it all averaged out.
I'll pay for the taxis from airport to hotel. You can pay for the full dinner.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 2:36 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Well my horrendous travel companion was my ex husband!

i was brought up in a family who had to travel back and forth to the UK, and my parents had a golden rule with us all - if you want it - you have to carry it around..... so it focused us on only taking what we need on trips. My packing tends to be well thought out, and I have a list of what I’m packing and in the week before, ensure that it is all washed, ironed and close at hand, before finally packing at the last possible moment to minimise time in the bag. I can manage well for a fortnight with a small suitcase. We went on holiday as a family once with just two suitcases...... he had the larger one all to himself, whilst my daughter and I shared the smaller one!

He would open his suitcase on the spare bed or the bedroom floor anything up to a month ahead and drop stuff in in dibs and drabs, all the while calling me out for not having started packing yet..... insist on packing the kitchen sink (he should have been born in the Edwardian era as a toff as he couldn’t choose an outfit for the day, and stick to it - he would change multiple times a day, and litter up the bedroom with discarded outfits which may or may not be worn again, and then insists on us all going and “doing something” when the kids and I were quite happily lounging and playing beside the pool....not that he actually had anything in mind - he just didn’t want to lounge by the pool. He’d throw a hissy fit when the rest of us refused to just pack up and follow him to no particular destination. I used to tell him to go off and do whatever he wanted and leave us to enjoy ourselves!

he was another one who loved his hiking, and never missed an opportunity to drag us off in the ooloo- despite the fact we had no proper hiking shoes or protective clothing (because we had never planned to do any hiking) then yell at us for not keeping up with his route March pace. It got to the point that eventually we decided on separate holidays - kids and I doing our thing (bucket and spade holiday in nice resort) him doing his (cross country skiing, sailing, hiking) with just a short family holiday together where we jointly decided where to go, how to get there and what we were doing once there! It helped to have everyone’s expectations managed!

now we are divorced, he still does his holidays from hell alone, and the kids and I still go off together and have a normal holiday!
Old Jul 25, 2018, 5:32 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
It be fun (for us, probably not for you) to hear the ex-husband's version of those vacations
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 7:43 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by OTD
I used to be in a group of 10-20 guys who would meet in Las Vegas every year. We developed rules, one of the most significant being that one person just picks up each bill, whether it be restaurant, taxi or whatever. None of this "well, I just had the cottage cheese and iced tea" stuff for us. We were all friends, and we knew it all averaged out.
One year, a guy we knew to be a cheapskate invited himself along. You knew it wasn't going to work when he decided to stay in some off-Strip, William H. Macy in The Cooler-type motel as opposed to the reasonably low-priced Strip hotel the rest of us were in. (Note that the guy was a well-paid engineer. He was just cheap.) Then the new guy got all worked up when he was told about the payment rules and informed that it was his turn to pay. He eventually coughed up some money but never took his wallet out for the rest of the trip and basically tried to do the rest on the cheap. Not exactly the attitude we wanted to have on our annual gambling outing.
The following year, when it started coming up on trip planning time, he started asking about dates. I said we weren't sure we were going, etc, and I'd let him know. Of course, we planned the trip privately and had a great time without the cheapskate.
Mine is not really a horror story, but a dear friend and I just got back from a RTW. We have very different spending habits, and it seemed that I ended up paying half of her spendthrift bills. She's the only person that I've ever eaten with that orders 2 meals or 2 desserts (it was in France, but still...) just to try them both. She ordered a $40 bottle of wine, I had a glass full at her insistence, then ended up splitting the bill when checking out of the safari camp. I was happy in the lounge with free snacks, appetizers and wine, she wanted to go to the restaurant. Her spending habits are far different than mine. This is a dear friend, that I want to stay dear friends with, but splitting the bill during the trip, by the day, or whatever seems to still be costing me a bundle.
simpleflyer likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by rickg523
Let me guess. You work in HR?
Originally Posted by invisible
Your shot landed way too far, dude. IT/Networking/Datacenter/Cloud/DevOps engineer with >25 years of experience in field.

invisible: You have just confirmed the stereotype of your profession's lack of humour. You need to spend more time reading Dilbert.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by CarolynUK

i was brought up in a family who had to travel back and forth to the UK, and my parents had a golden rule with us all - if you want it - you have to carry it around..... so it focused us on only taking what we need on trips. My packing tends to be well thought out, and I have a list of what I’m packing and in the week before, ensure that it is all washed, ironed and close at hand, before finally packing at the last possible moment to minimise time in the bag. I can manage well for a fortnight with a small suitcase. We went on holiday as a family once with just two suitcases...... he had the larger one all to himself, whilst my daughter and I shared the smaller one!

He would open his suitcase on the spare bed or the bedroom floor anything up to a month ahead and drop stuff in in dibs and drabs, all the while calling me out for not having started packing yet..... insist on packing the kitchen sink (he should have been born in the Edwardian era as a toff as he couldn’t choose an outfit for the day, and stick to it - he would change multiple times a day, and litter up the bedroom with discarded outfits which may or may not be worn again, and then insists on us all going and “doing something” when the kids and I were quite happily lounging and playing beside the pool....not that he actually had anything in mind - he just didn’t want to lounge by the pool. He’d throw a hissy fit when the rest of us refused to just pack up and follow him to no particular destination. I used to tell him to go off and do whatever he wanted and leave us to enjoy ourselves!

he was another one who loved his hiking, and never missed an opportunity to drag us off in the ooloo- despite the fact we had no proper hiking shoes or protective clothing (because we had never planned to do any hiking) then yell at us for not keeping up with his route March pace. It got to the point that eventually we decided on separate holidays - kids and I doing our thing (bucket and spade holiday in nice resort) him doing his (cross country skiing, sailing, hiking) with just a short family holiday together where we jointly decided where to go, how to get there and what we were doing once there! It helped to have everyone’s expectations managed!

now we are divorced, he still does his holidays from hell alone, and the kids and I still go off together and have a normal holiday!
No, you were his companion from hell ruining all the joy in traveling for him. Sitting by the pool -- really! But clearly incompatible mates when it comes to traveling. Sorry the end result was to break up.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K

Haha...your ex-husband sound like me. Hanging by the pool...booooring. Sailing and hiking...fun! Big suitcase with kit for every eventuality (opera->snorkelling)!
DieselYVR likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by invisible

Well it was just a gag.
But do you write Terms of Service, by any chance?
//also just a joke....I think//
Old Jul 25, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
To all those who replied to my travel companion from hell....

yes, I was probably his companion from hell too..... but he genuinely found it difficult to accept anyone's ideas for activities bar his own. Kids and I use a holiday as a reason to relax and unwind, and generally chill out. Outings are fine as long as they don't involve hours sitting in a car on small twisting roads, and exploring in the heat of the day we aren't interested in routemarches at great speed!

the things he liked doing were not what the rest of us wanted, and he didn't want to do what we wanted to do - hence separate holidays...... him to his "action man" adventures and the rest of us to our pool hogging - the kids have never expressed any desire to run up mountains, or cross country ski 50km a day ��

Funnily enough - neither does his new girlfriend.... she can't stand the overpacking and let's "do something!" Nagging either!
Old Jul 25, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares

I guess you can skip your therapy session this week.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
Mine is not really a horror story, but a dear friend and I just got back from a RTW. We have very different spending habits, and it seemed that I ended up paying half of her spendthrift bills. She's the only person that I've ever eaten with that orders 2 meals or 2 desserts (it was in France, but still...) just to try them both. She ordered a $40 bottle of wine, I had a glass full at her insistence, then ended up splitting the bill when checking out of the safari camp. I was happy in the lounge with free snacks, appetizers and wine, she wanted to go to the restaurant. Her spending habits are far different than mine. This is a dear friend, that I want to stay dear friends with, but splitting the bill during the trip, by the day, or whatever seems to still be costing me a bundle.
I am a non drinker and prefer simple foods. I don't quibble about $10 but when I go out with people who know I don't drink or eat lobster and caviar they take advantage of it and ask to split the bill. So annoying.

We went out with a group and they were just being DB's and didn't even wait for us to get to the restaurant before they started ordering and eating. I said to my husband as we ordered our own meals, we are definitely NOT splitting the bill this time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.